Megazone 23 Vol.1 ADV

Keith

Finally got to see Megazone 23 Part 1 after all the years of hearing about it...Pretty good. The characters are a little bland/generic but the action and the story are really good.

The video on the ADV release isn't too bad considering its age.

So how the hell was this turned into the Robotech Movie?

Edited by dejr8bud

"Finally got to see Megazone 23 Part 1 after all the years of hearing about it...Pretty good. The characters are a little bland/generic but the action and the story are really good."

"So how the hell was this turned into the Robotech Movie?"

Man, I ran out and bought it hoping to see what series they canibalized to make the RT movie, having never seen it I figured like Macross it would be a straight rip of the video with some audio editting. Anyhow, after watching the first part, I have to assume that the "Aliens" that invade are going to be the humans from the other escape craft and their attack in the Megazone 23 part 2 will have been the action focus of the RT movie.

I can definitely see how they selected Megazone 23 to be the next part of RT, it has a pace similar to the other stories and enough melodrama, although far less mature than Macross. I did enjoy the fact that the main character is basically a street thug and his first use of his stolen mech is to stop his loose girlfriend from giving it up to a choreographer, ahhh abuse of power! They also didn't pull any punches in the violence from what I saw, didn't they blow a guy's head to smithereens in the parking garage, ouch!

Anime on DVD lists two versions of part II. Does anyone know what the differences are?

It looks like they corrected their listing without removing their first mistake. i.e. the first listing only says "vol 2," while the second one says 'vol 2 of 3." As far as I can tell, there's only 1 release.

Man, I ran out and bought it hoping to see what series they canibalized to make the RT movie, having never seen it I figured like Macross it would be a straight rip of the video with some audio editting. Anyhow, after watching the first part, I have to assume that the "Aliens" that invade are going to be the humans from the other escape craft and their attack in the Megazone 23 part 2 will have been the action focus of the RT movie.

Yes and no. Saying more would be a spoiler :) As for the RT movie, its doubtful they ever intended to use animation from part II.

I can definitely see how they selected Megazone 23 to be the next part of RT, it has a pace similar to the other stories and enough melodrama, although far less mature than Macross. I did enjoy the fact that the main character is basically a street thug and his first use of his stolen mech is to stop his loose girlfriend from giving it up to a choreographer, ahhh abuse of power! They also didn't pull any punches in the violence from what I saw, didn't they blow a guy's head to smithereens in the parking garage, ouch!

The story picks up a lot in part II (then falls entirely flat in part III), but assuming you can accept the character design changes between parts 1 & 2, you should enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

I just found a copy online for both part 1 and part 2. To be honest, the old streamline dub for part 1 is MUCH better than this piece of crap. I mean really, they didn't do much of anything better.

While that's about finished I got 4 hours to go and I'll be done with Part 2 and hope that's better or I'm gonna be seriously pissed off.

It's got options for the English subs but Core Media sure doesn't want me to play them....it really pisses me off, I think I need something that's better than Core Media, any suggestions?

Actually, it seems to be habbit that there's the option of just the dvd, or the dvd with the box which is like a 15 buck difference. So yes and no, yes there is a box set, but no not when all three come out....it'd be a waste of money in my opinion but hey look at robotech ¬_¬ 15 thousand different versions and counting <<<<hint sarcasim please.

By the first dvd with the box, and you do got a box set. I think the third volume is due out in august.

Episode 1 comes with the box, episode 2 came out a couple weeks ago, & part 3 wil be out August 24th. All online retailers (major ones anyway) carry the series, and if you want to check out the box before you buy, Best Buy seems to carry it.

Okay I watched both Part 1 and Part 2, here's what I gotta say:

The english VA sucks, Shogo,he sounds to young and to high pitched alot of the time, he doesn't seem to carry out the expressions of Shogo in the first act very well, and there's alot of expression done. But something doesn't hit right with the japanese version either, it sounds different than my Streamline, I'm not sure.

The picture quality does feel like a step up, but you still see dirt and grime marks from time to time.

I was more use to the Streamline dub and subtitles than I was with this version. But than again, I downloaded from A.S.S. who I swear just rips a dvd and redo the subtitles just a bit to feel different at times.

Part 2 wasn't what I was expecting either, I watched 'em back and forth as dub and japanese, and the dub this time sorta was growin gon me. But the story just wasn't making perfect sense to me. It took me the whole damn movie to finally figure out the enemy ship they were going against was mechanical the whole time...I THOUGHT IT WAS ANOTHER STRAN OF THE HUMAN RACE!

I also was reading in reviews that EVE comes to life, but really she's still just a computer program none the less in a lil cylinder shaped stasis pod like stand showing off a full bodied Hologram of herself.

Out of all the character redesigns, EVE was the least changed which sorta surprised me. I thought that keeping her basically almost the same animation styled as the pervious volume was a good choice. I had a hard time identifying myself with the new character designs than anything else. After owning Part 1 for a few years and watching that back and forth, you sorta just let those styles grow on you.

Of course, Part 2 for some reason tended to be m uch more violent, I mean damn, mechanical enemies taking over poo and ripping humans to shreds is what I call violent.

I heard Part 3 bombed and I'm a little nervous on wanting to see it in the next couple of weeks, but I'll swallow my pride and maybe watch it.

Oh one more thing, what the hell happened to everyone in MZ23? I mean, Right when they get to the moon, this giant capsule falls on earth where the main characters and the gangs appear, but what about everyone else? That capsule didn't look big enough to carry every human on board. Further more, what happened to Yui's other roomate? The Blue haired girl who was the daughter of some big politican? You never even see a reference of her in Part 2 which was disapointing. I thought there were alot of worthless characters and poor development. Another thing I probably wouldn't of continued the story after 6 months of the first one, I would of said it'd been maybe 2 years or so, so those character changes could be like a "Hey they grew up and this is what they look like now" I thought Yui's redesign looked like a 16 year old girl than something in her 20's.

First & foremost....Streamlines dub was poo. ADV's new dub is poo too, but come freakin' on, streamline's old dub, like all of their dubs, was just pure shiti. With that said, watch it subtitled!

As for the roomate, she moved back home with her parents remember? Yui had no body else, no apparent family or other friends. The Dezalg were actually human, I believe the actual story was that they were originally another Megazone, or perhaps just another Earth colony, that settled on Mars. At some point, an alien race encountered them, and the two combined into 1 new life form. Since they no longer had their EVE, they couldn't get past ADAM, and wanted to highjack 23 to get to Earth.

The character design change is just a fact of life, deal with it! The alternative is what happened in part III, which was an odd combination of the two styles with lower quality animation.

Oh one more thing, what the hell happened to everyone in MZ23? I mean, Right when they get to the moon, this giant capsule falls on earth where the main characters and the gangs appear, but what about everyone else? That capsule didn't look big enough to carry every human on board.

Take a look again, espcially the landscape shot at the very end. It was indeed quite big. Not everyone survived (you can see not everyone made it to the shelter area's), but apparently everyone who did make it to the shelters would be it to the core block & to Earth. As such, we have what you'll see in Part III.

Lastly, Part III does suck, but still has to be seen, in that same way that you have to see Macross II or Orguss 02 just to realize how much another staff can screw up someones concepts. Most importantly, it will help you understand what they were going fo r in the matrix

I still gotta disagree with ya Keith, the Streamline though you can say suck is better than ADV's version. I'm not saying the acting is better, but the voices fit more correctly with the characters than ADV's version did. BD's VA didn't sound right at all, to young for a guy who looks like his late 30's and buff.

Shogo was just to young sounding and he was suppose to be in his 20's....and all the girls sounded like they were from New York. I'm more fond of the old voices than this piece of crap.

I also don't recall anywhere that said the other Megazone was hijacked by an alien race where they lost their EVE...or could it have been Lilth? hmmmmmmmm.....

But it was cool at the end to see that ship get blown away layer by layer.

And yes I do remember the roomate being taken back by her father or wha ever, but I thought she might make another appearance or cameo...but nope.

I went over to FRY's lastnight, lookin at Digicams, and I saw the only copy of Megazone 23 they had was part 2 for under 20 bucks, while Suncoast sells that and Part 1 for 30 bucks each....jerk offs.

I didn't sit through the ADV dub, but this sounds suspiciously similar to people who have said how much they love the old streamline Akira dub much more than the newer Pioneer dub. Both dubs are week, but in that case, the newer Pioneer dub was "technically" superior (in script & name pronunciation). Whether this is true for the new MZ 23 dub I won't care to sit through to find out, as the simplest oslurmion is to just watch it subtitled. But I'll be damned if anything I've heard come out of streamline could be considered "better" than anything else.

I also don't recall anywhere that said the other Megazone was hijacked by an alien race where they lost their EVE...or could it have been Lilth? hmmmmmmmm.....

But it was cool at the end to see that ship get blown away layer by layer.

Back in the days of fansubs we used to get art book/official materials translations of stuff before the programs. This was the information given before the fansub of Megazone 23 Part II. It was included on the kodocha anime version.

And yes I do remember the roomate being taken back by her father or wha ever, but I thought she might make another appearance or cameo...but nope.

After seeing her friend shot in the head for no reason? With a war breaking out? It was fairly obvious she had no intention of ever seeing Yui again, as she would be able to live nice & "safe" with her parents.

went over to FRY's lastnight, lookin at Digicams, and I saw the only copy of Megazone 23 they had was part 2 for under 20 bucks, while Suncoast sells that and Part 1 for 30 bucks each....jerk offs.

Don't buy your anime at suncoast, they're thieving bastards.

I thought maybe the roommate could have been a singer and dancer by the six months I mean she's got money you know she does...oh well...

But the last time I bought anime at Suncoast was back in 2001 with a stupid DBZ movie, I think I got rid of all of my DVD's that were DBZ related, I'm really on a boycot with FUNImation cause they suck. Suncoast is just too spendy for me since they jack up their prices a good 5-10 bucks pending on how wide in demand that product is going to become.

I also liked the references that were done in the second movie, Thunder Cats and Silver Hawks pinball machines, that was great to think back on those oldies.

But god the beginning of the movie when they're going against the aliens, that had to be one of the sickest scenes in the whole movie......eeeewww.....

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, finally got a chance to watch part III a couple days ago....

You know, I haven't watched it in a couple years, figured I'd give it a fair chance since it's an official translation & all, but I'll be damned if it still just doesn't fit. It completely contradicts the point of everything that happened before it (especially part II), makes little to no sense with its ending (just exactly why did Eve have to sacrifice herself to ADAM since he was already passed as a test?), and truly has the worst animation of the 3. I still love the music though, especially Higeki no Idol. The video transfer is just as great as it was with the first two parts, plus there's naked Eve scenes (what more can you ask?).

It's just sad that this was the most resourced part for the matrix.

0_o haha......I'm almost afraid of going to Bestbuy to get this.....

Might as well finish it. It's one of those curiosities like Macross II & Orguss 02. You know it'll blow, but you have to see what happened anyway.

I picked up Vol3 today at best buy, good deal too 13 bucks...almost got all 3 but I got the old vol1, vol2 on the computer and heh thought why not.

But your right Keith, this OAV is a waste of time....I thought the animation at first was decent, nothing really wrong, but I noticed alot of stop motion....lots of frame skipping it's like one would move his arm, than suddenly he's on the other end of the room for example of the motion.

The Garlands look okay, I mean very futuristic, and not so much Legioss like from the first and second volume. The english dubbers kind of suck, I feel sorry for them mostly, they're working with something that doesn't have the most fluent animation and bad expressions. Whats more is they seperate it into 2 episodes instead of just one massive movie....I hate that, sorta ruins the fun.

However something I'd like to point out, in the dub it seems the girl who plays Ryo, the Voice Actor I think was singing in japanese....the character as you know wants to be a performer like EVE, and in that scene she sings with a song on the monitor, I can't tell if it's the original Japanese actress or if it's the English VA doing the singing!

I'll try and take another look later, but I thought if that was the VA singing and not the original japanese actress........she did REALLY well.......majorly shocked cause I've never seen an English VA do that.

Oh well off to watch the final part....

Okay I finished watching it, second part of it had better animation in my opinion, but what bugs me is the story it really makes no sense.....none.....

Okay..........so like....EVE was WHERE NOW?! They find her at the very core of Eden.......yet shouldn't she have been in Bahamout? Shogo never wakes her up.....why should he bother? He just wanted to lead a normal life after that I bet....and he disappeared but where? Don't tell me that Bishop dude was Shogo.....nah.......can't remember him admiting to it. not to mention that Bishop Wong Ies was originaly from Megazone 23.....so if he's "hundreds of years old" just how much time passed since the end of part 2 into part 3?

In part 2 it had been 6 months, but in here they treat it like a thousand years or something.....not too mention if not alot of people survived landing on Earth cause only a small portion of the Megazone landed, than it states 700 ppl commit suicide?

First off.....what happened to that backdrop that 700 ppl commit suicide? What's up with that? That back drop just got totally wasted.....next up the "original" garland.......a thousand years old.........so that would mean.......after the two megazones launched.......and made their way back it'd been 500 years..........so the story probably took place 500 years later after part 2? I'm lost really.......I don't know if alot of consideration was taken into this OAV.....and Eiji Takanaka.....he wouldn't be related to Yui and Shogo could he? EVE makes that refernces when they find the old Garland, "Amazing it responded to your life data" ........so would that mean Eiji is somehow a decendant of Shogo and Yui?

........................................hmmmmmmmmmmm...........gah my head hurts.

Okay I finished watching it, second part of it had better animation in my opinion, but what bugs me is the story it really makes no sense.....none.....

Okay..........so like....EVE was WHERE NOW?! They find her at the very core of Eden.......yet shouldn't she have been in Bahamout?

The EVE in Bahamut was an A.I. copy of the original EVE (scientist invovled wwith the Megazone project). The EVE in Eden was the original Eve.

Shogo never wakes her up.....why should he bother? He just wanted to lead a normal life after that I bet....and he disappeared but where? Don't tell me that Bishop dude was Shogo.....nah.......can't remember him admiting to it. not to mention that Bishop Wong Ies was originaly from Megazone 23.....so if he's "hundreds of years old" just how much time passed since the end of part 2 into part 3?

Yup, that was the general implication, as well as the biggest plot failure. Eve never told Shogo he had to go to wake her up, there was no sign of any "Eden" at the end of part II, and the very fact that they would do something like that to that type of character is just "wrong." What was the point in bringing back Yui if she would just lose Shogo hours later? The whole point of getting past A.D.A.M. was that humanity "did" pass the test (thanks to Shogo), and would be allowed to spread across Earth. To put anohter system in place defeats the end of part II. Hell, why would there even be just "1" Eden since there were many Megazones (though 23 was the only to return safely thus far). Having to face his energy catridge thing, and his comments of nostalgia were the clues that Won Dai was Shogo).

In part 2 it had been 6 months, but in here they treat it like a thousand years or something.....not too mention if not alot of people survived landing on Earth cause only a small portion of the Megazone landed, than it states 700 ppl commit suicide?

it's supposed to be a thousand years or so. "The System" kept Shogo/Won Dai alive through a similar system used to keep the original Eve alive.

First off.....what happened to that backdrop that 700 ppl commit suicide? What's up with that? That back drop just got totally wasted.....

That was to imply the dissatisfaction of the people living a contained controlled existence.

next up the "original" garland.......a thousand years old.........so that would mean.......after the two megazones launched.......and made their way back it'd been 500 years..........so the story probably took place 500 years later after part 2? I'm lost really.......

Makes about as much sense as anything else in 3 :)

I don't know if alot of consideration was taken into this OAV.....and Eiji Takanaka.....he wouldn't be related to Yui and Shogo could he? EVE makes that refernces when they find the old Garland, "Amazing it responded to your life data" ........so would that mean Eiji is somehow a decendant of Shogo and Yui?

........................................hmmmmmmmmmmm...........gah my head hurts.

No, not a relation, he just as the same Sector 7G Operator special life force. In order for the plot to even remotely work, unless Shogo knocked Yui up in their last encounter, they'd be no way for them to be together since Shogo would have been taken in by the system.

The funniest part about part 3 is how much of it was used for the Matrix over the other 2 parts.

you know..... <_< I think I'll lock this in my "vault" of anime which really ruined happy endings....to know Bishop is Shogo....that's just........wrong.......so utterly wrong. *sticks it with Matrix Revolutions and Macross II*

Well......it wasn't HORRIBLE..........but it was needless to say........unnessessary to have made....a big waste of sponser money.

Yeah, or they could have developed the story a bit, talking about how Shogo caved into the "system" and what happened to everyone else. Or how they discovered the city of Eden, things that just weren't explained one damn bit.

I wanna know what happened to the trash pickers, Yui, everyone.....I hate it when sequals spiral you thru like a millinium or like a century and you just wanna see the regs again god grrrrrrrrrr