Question

I started this thread last night thinking I was going to get 2 or so replies. Came back this morning to see about 68 or so, heh. I read the entire thread; I didn't mean for there to be complaints. I just wanted to know why they were disabled. :/ I miss my custom title from the old board, tis why I asked in the first place. Anyway....

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by Oihan

Hello,

My observations:

1.) A review of the posts in this thread reveals that those with custom member titles, are the ones standing up for them, blaming their assigment on someone else, and/or attempting to validate their existence. The when, where, why and how is moot, it shows favoritism.

2.) The majority of the custom member titles I see, look like they were deliberately picked. For example, PM a moderator, state what you want, and you get it if your buddies with him. I could post examples, but take a look for yourself at some of the titles.

3.) We should all either have the same, be able to create our own, or we should have none at all.

4.) MW should be about what you know, not who you know.

5.) Custom member titles should be based upon longevity, not post counts. Anyone can spam and post stupid one liners, like "Cool!," "Yamato rules!," and so forth. Enough people already do this without giving them an additional motivation to get a new title.

6.) Don't post a list of the titles and number of posts needed to obtain it. It will be just like an RPG, as members do their best to level up their characters.

This isn't about whether their are more important things in the world to worry about, "Don't get your panties in a wade," "All the little girly men need to go to the gym and work out," and so forth. It's about being fair, and not putting down others just because you don't agree with their opinion.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Obviously The MAN is behind this!

I'm not sure how I feel on the new title thing. I really miss the old custom ones. I am curious though, what is the thought process behind NOT having custom titles? I'd rather have my old post count back, though. I'd finally broken a grand, and the site got changed! :p Oh well, keep on truckin'.

Edited by GreatMoose

Nor you Sempai! :p;)

:lol:

Thats funny.

I think you guys are getting all worked up for no reason. As long as we have no control the titles are fun. There is no point in us writing our own custom titles... We have our sigs for that.

I think you guys are getting all worked up for no reason. As long as we have no control the titles are fun. There is no point in us writing our own custom titles... We have our sigs for that.

Exactly what I have been trying to say for this entire thread. Leave it to the calm simplicity of Agent One.

In response to:

JsARCLIGHT Agent ONE

Thank you for once again validating my previous observation:

1.) A review of the posts in this thread reveals that those with custom member titles, are the ones standing up for them, blaming their assigment on someone else, and/or attempting to validate their existence. The when, where, why and how is moot, it shows favoritism.

This has nothing to do with anything personal, I'm sure everyone appreciates that. It is a fact that the people who are vehemently defending custom member titles, are the ones with them. The privileged desire to protect their coveted status quo.

As long as we have no control the titles are fun. There is no point in us writing our own custom titles

Nothing personal once again as we are friends, but in all honesty based upon your MW persona, your custom member title seems to be hand picked, and if I were you, I would be proud to have it. Without prior knowledge that it was perhaps meant to be a sarcastic jest to your cockiness, it seems to be at face value something that you would have chosen yourself, as it compliments the picture above it. The peons have our sigs., and the priveleged still have their custom member titles.

As stated, I will not reference examples, but I saw a friend's custom member title change from a pretty cool one, to another that could have only come directly from him. It's too fitting for it to have come from anywhere else.

My point? To say there is "no control" is preferential to those who already have a custom member title.

In the scheme of life none of this is worth getting worked up over, that much is true. But when it comes to principle and fairness, I believe it takes courage to speak up.

As I said earlier in anticipation of the customary "don't get worked up," "you need to go to the gym" posts, because all they seek to do minimize other members valid statements.

Edited: For spelling errors, but in all honesty, why should a man feel the need to justify/explain their reasons for editing their own damn post?

Edited by ChristopherB

In response to:

JsARCLIGHT Agent ONE

Thank you for once again validating my previous observation:

JsARCLIGHT and I have custom titles because we hang out here a lot, hence there are inside jokes. Not because we are favored... Just so you know my title has to do with an interesting situation I got it a while back that had to do with exposing one's self. I mean hey, I did also advise a member to jerk off on his door knob so the next person to grab the handle would be 'blessed with his man lava.' huh huh huh. So my title makes sense.

However, if there were any favortism around here I am sure the advantage would go to those who don't complain to, or second guess the mods.

I see your point completely... though your point pretty much counts me out from having an opinion, in your book. ;)

Not exactly a fair way to debate a point. According to your rules, then you are -

A person without a custom member title, and thus are placing entirely too much emphasis on them, and assuming there is some sort of conspiracy between members and mods to have something that you do not.

So, with that in mind, how seriously am I to take your argument?

Can't the mods just have some fun to go along with all of the work we make for them?

Edited by Blaine23

Awww... c'mon guys... why are we even trying to deny it... custom titled members ARE that much cooler.... IT'S TRUE!!!

See you guys at the meeting! Today's subject: Conspiracy 101: Reverse Psychology... ;)

EDIT: Forgot second --> :

Edited by >EXO<

I really wish I did have the favoritism of the mods then I could post all sorts of stuff I know would piss tons of people off and get away with it.

If this thing has all of you so worked up then I'd say do what you accuse us of: PM the mods, ask for a custom title and get it. I don't know the mods from adam, we don't hang out, we don't talk and outside of an occasional back and fourth in a thread we never even say boo to each other. If they favor me then it is their doing not mine. I and the other "elite scumbag mommie's favorites" on here don't see this as an issue... then again it is perhaps that we see it as the joke it was intended and not as some sort of unattainable badge of holy greatness.

Agent One:

As I said, without prior knowledge of the origin of your title, it seems to fit your MW persona/reputation. Explaining the origin does not justify it's existence.

Blaine23:

No one said you can't have an opinion. My observation is based upon the fact that the only people thus far to support custom member titles are those who already have them. Your correlation between being allowed to have an opinion and my objective factual observation makes no sense, and is melodramatic to say the least. This is what it sounds like you are saying:

"Oh, because you say that I am only speaking up to protect something I already have, must mean that I my opinion is moot." Your logic is flawed.

Inevitably topics regarding fairness/equality always seems to gravitate to the conclusion that people are only bitching because they are jealous.

Lets make this clear from the beginning. I/we don't want to be like you (special/privileged/favorites of the mods.), we want the system to be fair and non-preferential. I don't want to have anything besides what everyone else has, but rather I would like to see the select few

I hate to be redundant, but apparently my posts are not being read/understood, so let's clear up motivations based upon a review of the posts:

Those with custom member titles are entitled to their opinions, but are motivated to maintain their current status. It doesn't matter why your specific custom title was given, it's the fact that you have one, and you are loath to lose it.

Myself and other like minded individuals want a system in place that treats everyone equally, and so we are motivated by purely altruistic and benevolent objectives.

I seek to preserve nothing I have personally, nor gain anything for myself, can the same be said of you? Ask yourself that. ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Edited: Because of..., what a minute, it's none of your damn business. :lol:

Edited by ChristopherB

If you go back and re-read my posts and those of the other "elite uber bastards" you will see that none of us are really defending anything or trying to keep anything. We are all basically saying "this situation is out of our hands and we choose to enjoy it rather than piss and moan about it". If custom titles went away that would fix this whole thing right? Then ask the mods to do away with them. But it might not happen... because this board is not a democracy. There are no "rights" or equality granted to anyone. The law is made by Shawn and Graham and enforced by the mods. What we can do and what we have are handed down by them and then alone. If the mods choose to do something, ban someone, give someone a title or remove their post count that is their whim to do. They are omnipotent here, not us. I learned that lesson a long time ago as did a lot of other people. We either flow with their waves or crash against them, and crashing against them does not really do much as in the end they will 99.9% of the time be "right" no matter what we say or do.

One thing I notice about this thread:

The members with custom titles are all over this thread! So is it a conspiracy!!?

Actually those members just care about MW and add a great deal to its entire community experience.

Come to think of it, Christopher, you should have one too, as you do seem to care about the community.

I dub thee:

"But.. but... Its not fair!!!"

JsARCLIGHT,

For all of your verbosity, it is apparent by your quote below you agree with me, but you also contradict yourself. If you don't want the title that was unwillingly assigned to you, have you PM'ed a mod. to request it be removed?

Complicity in an act construes willingness to participate.

From last time my thoughts are basically the same as WDC's in that you either have full control over your title or none at all.

All or nothing, full control or none, or is that not what you said?

Call it justifying the existence of your title, or defending it, it all boils down to semantics, but the end result is the same. Clearly if you are not requesting that your custom member title be removed, but rather are explaining it's existence, it appears to a logical person that you are therefore supporting it by virtue of your posts.

I should have anticipated the next method of dismissal which has reared it's head, especially since the:

1.) "It's not my fault I have a custom member title."

2.) "Although I pretend that my custom member title is derogatory, I secretly like it and it fits me." "I didn't PM a mod. and request it."

3.) "Let's not get worked up over something minor, and yet this topic is worth all of my rebuttal posts."

4.) "You are just bitching because you want what I have."

5.) "I'm not defending/justifying my custom member title. I'm just posting continously explaining why I have one, as opposed to asking for it to be removed."

And finally, the new arguement:

6.) "Don't blame me, blame the moderators. I'm just an unwilling pawn, who had this aweful member title pinned on me, and I can't do anything about it, but post and make excuses as to why I have it." "This isn't a democracy, MW isn't fair, it's a caste system where some have something special, and some don't."

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

but Chris, at first you said that it shouldn't be about who you know but what you know... that would be a sytem of hierchy in itself. Also, by your signature I could tell that you would have no problem if membership was distinguished by tenure instead of favoritism. Put the gun down Chris... it'll be ok... we're all friends here...

;)

Yes, I am for the community, and opposed to special treatment for people.

If we always say, "That is the way things are, and always will be," then nothing will change.

Will certain people get special treatment, yes, and I myself have benefited from it in the past in my personal life.

I am speaking up for all, and your speak for yourself and others in the same boat as you.

Yes, please call me Mr. Fair. I take pride in standing up, and having the courage to stand for equality. The tree of liberty is replenished with the blood of patriots.

As a military disabled veteran I know what it's like to be give something for what I believe in.

My motto is, "He who desires to be first, should come last."

A custom title does not equate to contributing here at MW. You do need one to have the other.

I challenge those with a custom member title to prove that you do not desire to have any special "marks" bestowed upon you, to PM a moderator and ask that it be removed.

You do not need a distinquishing name to make you seem important, that is shown by your actions.

Within purview of Shawn's/Graham's, I am sure Moderators can bestow custom member titles to whomever they chose, but I would imagine that they will remove them if asked.

Nah... I like mine... it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

It takes me back to a time when...

*insert flashback FX here (tududu tududu tududu) <-- flashback sound FX

I was tattoo and Blaine was Mr. Rourke...

ah the good ol' days of MW... one month ago...

alas those days are over and the damn monkeys are here to rule!

SO c'mon Chris. I encourage you to go out there and stroke a mod!!! Stroke one like they've never been stroked!

Life will be that much better!

Within purview of Shawn's/Graham's, I am sure Moderators can bestow custom member titles to whomever they chose, but I would imagine that they will remove them if asked.

They do... I remember when the mods gave Keith the title "don't listen to me".

He threw a fit like a 2 year old so they took it away.

I should have anticipated the next method of dismissal which has reared it's head, especially since the:

1.) "It's not my fault I have a custom member title."

2.) "Although I pretend that my custom member title is derogatory, I secretly like it and it fits me." "I didn't PM a mod. and request it."

3.) "Let's not get worked up over something minor, and yet this topic is worth all of my rebuttal posts."

4.) "You are just bitching because you want what I have."

5.) "I'm not defending/justifying my custom member title. I'm just posting continously explaining why I have one, as opposed to asking for it to be removed."

And finally, the new arguement:

6.) "Don't blame me, blame the moderators. I'm just an unwilling pawn, who had this aweful member title pinned on me, and I can't do anything about it, but post and make excuses as to why I have it." "This isn't a democracy, MW isn't fair, it's a caste system where some have something special, and some don't."

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Chris -

I totally understand your argument - yet, I don't really think that you are being very fair in discussing it rationally. If you continue to assert the same opinion repeatedly (after we all get it), then post your interpretation of our arguments back to us mockingly - it's only gonna lead to flames.

My motto is, "He who desires to be first, should come last."

Jesus man... Reality is the polar oposite of that statement.

My motto is: "I will stop at NOTHING, to obtain EVERYTHING"

>EXO<,

No offense my friend, but please read my posts, don't take things out of context.

Damn, and I quote once again:

3.) We should all either have the same, be able to create our own, or we should have none at all.

4.) MW should be about what you know, not who you know.

5.) Custom member titles should be based upon longevity, not post counts. Anyone can spam and post stupid one liners, like "Cool!," "Yamato rules!," and so forth. Enough people already do this without giving them an additional motivation to get a new title.

What part did you not understand?

Respect comes from longevity and knowlege of Macross, not who your know, and not a custom member title. Respect is earned not by spamming but by contribution and time. Society inherently respects wisdom, that has nothing to with a hierarchy.

I hope that is clear now, but honestly that's what I already tried to say.

So yes, reward members for clear objective reasons.

Allow members to create their own titles, do not allow titles, or put in place a system that gives everyone the same possibilites.

(All right, I know when I'm beating a dead horse, and this horse is due for the glue factory. ;) My best wishes to all, no hard feelings, and keep in mind all I want is for the right thing to be done. I've always been the type to root for the underdog. Take it easy ya'll, and I'll have faith that the right thing will be done, and my hats off to the moderators.)

No hard feelings Chris... at the end I'd agree that it'd be fun if we did get to customize our own titles. My post were mostly sarcastic though they hid my opinion in there somewhere... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's cool man.

On one hand, I hate whiny little bitches that bitch for no other reason but to complain or rant. That was not my objective.

I also appreciate people with something valid to say and have the courage to stand up for their convictions.

I tried to be logical, pertinent, and I apologize if some of replies came back as "mocking."

I also want be respected and liked just like most people here at MW, but I will not do that by keeping my mouth shut rather than speaking my mind.

It's easier not to say anything and just go with the flow, but the mark of a man is distinquished by doing what he believes in, and his true friends will respect that and remain his friend at the end of the day.

Edited by ChristopherB

Honestly, only a member with a custom title would know how chummy they get with a mod. That was what I was getting at. The fact is I know a mod as much as I know you, Chris. The only diff. is that I met you in person, so you can get an idea of how many exchanges there has been between me and any mod. I guess that's why a member with a custom title took offense to the accusation that the titles were requested for. I actually belived that I was the only one with a custom title that didn't ask for it, until I saw everyone else getting uncomfortable over what was said.

But now I know...

And knowing is half the battle!

My last post in this thread:

I had no idea I was going to get Nuremberged on this issue. I just wanted people to stop thinking of me as some elite favored person because I am not. If you remember clearly I was a very vocal rabblerouser at the head of a vigilante group on here a year ago. I highly doubt that a sheep disturber like me could so quickly move into the hearts of the mods. I got hit with a custom tag and yes, I did not ask for my unwanted custom tag to be removed mainly due to that at the time it was all part of the joke. Everyone seemed to "get" the joke and they saw the thread and it seemed everyone was getting them... at least everyone that appeared to be "daily players on the MW stage". I notice more and more of them every day and the new ones seem to not be jokes any more but more or less hand picked ones. That did not bother me either as I just assumed that people would PM a mod and ask for something. Obviously some folks view this as some sort of equal rights issue and to be honest when you are on the other side looking in it is not a big deal, most of the time because you don't notice or don't really care about the issue at hand. To me, this issue is about three little insignifigant words placed in my profile by someone else that I did not choose. To me it is a cattle ear tag. It carries with it a sense that the mods are watching me to a degree but that they are just trying to have fun and liven the place up. To other people those three little words are a sign that I am favored, pampered, catered to and special. Buy the level of response some folks have put into this it makes me feel bad to have this my profile. I was just playing along with the joke on the jokers... having fun. You know, what this board is supposed to be about. The mods were having fun, the jokers were having fun and everyone seemed to be getting along fine.

This whole issue is about perception and how you see things on the board. People see three little words that they don't have and for some reason they instantly say "unfair!" whereas I look at them and remember the jokes. Being on here every day I see the jokes and know the stories behind them so to me it is all part of the show... but to others it is taken as a sign of contempt and privelage. Any system that gives rewards for any action or participation will likewise be complained about. Just look at what is happening to children's sports... there can no longer be "losers" and in a lot of cases score is not even kept any more to appeal to everyone's "feelings". There will always be the haves and the have nots. If this issue means that much to some people then do like we did: play the game, joke around and become part of the supposed "inner circle". We have not done anything against the rules of the board and we have done nothing to hurt other members but from the reactions in this thread you would think we did.

I still say all or nothing, even if people will not believe me because I am part of the elite conspiracy.

You guys really are funny. I happened to be making an attempt to upload the emoticons that have been so sorely missed only to find that I was unable to upload them to the server. So instead I thought it would be nice to add the member titles and levels for those that HAD NO CUSTOM TITLES AT ALL because its obviously impossible to give every member a custom title. So in the end, I eventually came up with 18 different member titles based on post count(since it doesn't go any other way). As it stands right now, I have no intention of removing them either.

Some people in this thread are making a HUGE deal out of this, when it really isn't. Its a little tag under your f-in name on an internet message board. I've got an idea that may solve the problems some people are havin; ... we can do it like Genmay does; If you donate $5 to MacrossWorld you can give SOMEONE ELSE a custom member title. :) If that sounds like fun, I'll ask Shawn. But til then, grow up, the titles are fun. Its not worth writing an essay over. B))

Screw it, I'll be the devil's advocate!

GO ELITISM!!!! :p

Thanks Max, it's cool to have a title, I appreciate it.

Heh, I just remembered something:

This is not a democracy. The mods have power and keep the peace. They have all the keys, they guard all the doors. There is no spoon, there is only the hoary froating head. :p

Can the mods do the "five point palm-exploding heart technique"? Or do you each have some super-cool ultra bad-ass mod-ish custom technique? ;)

Max has already demonstrated he can pop out of ceillings with his super-secret ninja techniques! :lol:

edit: oh yeah, custom titles are cool, and I don't have one. Mine is a canon fodder title! :p:lol: And I like it damnit!

Edited by Sumdumgai

Yes... yes.... one of us... one of us....

There are 18 levels of membership. Who knows what they are... or where they live...

yes, thanks Max.... I love the titles, with the exception... HTF do I get rid of the title "Bridge Bunny"???!!!??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes... yes.... one of us... one of us....

There are 18 levels of membership. Who knows what they are... or where they live...

yes, thanks Max.... I love the titles, with the exception... HTF do I get rid of the title "Bridge Bunny"???!!!??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Contribute to discussions.

Nor you Sempai! :p  ;)

Nani!?!? Who is this gajin trash? He needs to step away from the hotness and go to the gym..... ;)

macrossboxset.jpg

On a side note: I rather enjoy the titles... I think they're pretty damn funny (lol, and someone.. SOMEWHERE... will *always* be my lackey....)

Edited by Skull Leader