Does anyone else feel like Minmay got kinda....

I just got done showing a friend the SDF Macross series and the DYRL movie (after he watched M+... I'm training him good). Something that kinda always bothered me is how Minmay got jacked. Mostly in DYRL(go on a date with a guy you like->get abducted and experimented on by aliens->come back to find out he's w/ some other ho), but the series has her go off to start her career while getting abused by Kaifun and working for scraps.

Meanwhile, Misa just cruises up in her super-dimension fortress and snatches the idiotic Hikaru away.  I mean... Misa is cool...but I've always liked Minmay better. Anyone else feel she got screwed in the bad way? I mean, I don't think that she was ever bitchy at all.

How did she get screwed in series when she just LET Hikaru walk away. It was obvious the relationship would never work when she stood him up for practice. She wasn't a bitch but she was too fickle. She couldn't make up her mind if she wnated Hikaru or not and took him for granted when he was around and could devote all the attention she could handle and more. She was pretty selfish in some ways. I still laugh my ass off when Hikaru hangs up on her after the barrier overload. Sure she didn't know he just lost another of his best friends but she sure as hell never tried to know more about what went on with him. She only ever noticed when he was gon for several days and not there to meet her attention needs. Then there was all that flirting with Kaifun in Hikaru's presence. When she finally figured out what she wnated it was too late. Misa on the otherhand saw what she wanted and went after it and didn't let it get away for the most part.

No, I don't feel sorry for Minmay at all but she did get screwed int he movie.

Edited by Jemstone

in the tv show i gotta say she was a phony two-faced asswipe.in the movie she was cooler she just had to get used to her destiny and she bust her butt for what she had.she was still self-absorbed but she seemed a more humble and mature.i gotta admit she is sexy in the movie due to the fact she's more aggressive and self-assurred.

In both the Tv-Series and DYRL, I do feel bad for Minmay because she loses Hikaru to Misa, especially in DYRL. I mean, I get all misty-eyed evertime I watch DYRL being th bleeding heart that I am :lol: (aside from the it being a nice condensation of the SDF Macross story and the beautiful animation).

I was glad to see Minmay bounce back from all that and go on in FB2012.

Psychiatrists call this schizophrenia. According to Noyes book of Abnormal Psychology, schizophrenia is the obsession with another reality or an individual's inability to cope with the reality that a fantasy is NOT reality and attempts to rationalize their obsession with the fantasy.

As long as we tell the boundary between fantasy and reality, all is fine. :) I think it's all right to think about what-if scenario, the story is merely one possible execution, it could have ended so many ways, so why wasn't it? Was it due to story alone, time, author, sponser, political or other reasons?

And if the story was changed, would it be stronger? Would it still carry the same message, or still be what we know it as?

What do you call people who have an obsession with conspiracy theory? :D

This thread just reminded me of the time two of my fellow airmen and I got caught by the duty Sergeant talking about what Minmay found so damn attractive about Lynn Kyle (not sure what the Japanese name is, her cousin in the dreaded Robotech).

My memory is vague on Lynn Kaifun, but I didn't really get the impression Minmay liked him romantically. She rejected his marriage proposal once (she was surprised), and another time, she hallucinated that Hikaru was the one saving her, not Kaifun!

Also, I think Kaifun is somewhat misunderstood. He's not so bad, even at the end. He seemed like a pretty good manager; his fault was to put Minmay's career before her own needs. Minmay has a temper of her own, and not very street-wise, and for someone to stay with her and take care of her for so long definitely takes some.. love. :)

The shrink was trying to tell us we were all suffering from schizophrenia.  Hehehehehehe, man, you should have seen his face when we explained what Macross was.  :D     Anime, the works, he was mortified.

So, did you managed to corrupt him? :lol:

Edited by nhyone

So, did you managed to corrupt him?

Heck no! :D I ended up on guard duty for the next 6 months (Not kidding :ph34r: ). My superiors thaught it would teach me a lession.

It taught me alright, how to play battletech the Role Playing Game, hehehehehehhehehehehehehe!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hours, and hours, and hours of nothing but combat drops, conquests, search and destroy missions. We played all aspects of the game, from House Davion and the Inner Sphere to the Clan invasions with Jade Falcon blazing the way into the Star League core worlds.

Hell, when you're on guard duty, at night, for 12 hours, in the barracks, what else is there to do, except the hourly walk through, which started at the lower level of the barracks, and ended at the vending machines. :D

Yep, nice coca cola, a few snickers, and a couple packs of pipe tabacco and off I went back to the guard room where two other airmen were waiting on detail like myself, for the game to continue. Was actually pretty nice at about lights out. (22:00 hours) We were able to play uninterupted except for the hourly patrol.

How could Minmay have gotten screwed if she is the one who let Hikaru get away? In the series, Hikaru and Minmay were on two totally different paths. Hikaru and Misa had matured due to the war were Minmay lived in her little world were she was admired, got what she wanted, and basically clueless about the realities of the war. By the time Minmay matured, due to the relaity of the war, it was too late. Misa had left an impression on Hikaru and he realized she was the one for him.

On DYRL, Hikaru made his choice. I think Minmay was more of a crush where with Misa it was more than that. Hikaru knew this therefore he, again, chose Misa. I dont think Minmay was screwed over due to the circumstances of her getting kidnapped by the Zentrans. It was more Hikaru knowing what he wanted. IMO.

Edited by MicronianDevil

OK, here's my view:

If we were to apply this to today, and to how women really are, Hikaru would've gotten his ass kicked by Minmay. Hikaru was an A-hole, Misa was a backstabbing "B", and poor Minmay was the naive girl who got screwed over by everyone.

Think about it! Kaifun used her to make money and exploit her, Hikaru liked her but was a homoe, and Misa was a trifullen biatch who can't find her own "G". Sorry for the gangster terminology, but these days, Minmay would've opened up a can of whoop-ass all over homo Hikaru, and Misa would not be looking as good as she did in the cartoon. The local Yakuza probably had "stock" invested in Minmay and in her work, and anyone who threatened her career would've been real sorry.

Wow, never thought of all that. :D

i don't really remember any screwing going on in that show.

Well in DYRL, there was Protoculture Island. (Oh...the irony.) Remember Misa zipping up her flightsuit when exiting the building and seeing the Macross? And don't forget the scene immediately before that, it's quite obvious what was going to happen next. Of course, DYRL is a family show so no gratuitous scenes, just insinuated. Minmay, "Just what did you and that woman do down there?" ;)