Full Metal Alchemist licensed

from AnimeNewsNetwork:

Funimation licenses Fullmetal Alchemist (2004-05-11 11:58:34)

Square-Enix announced at E3 that it would be localizing Fullmetal Alchemist in association with Funimation. Square is handling the videogame, while Funimation is distrubuting the anime. Cartoon Network is expected to air the series beginning in October. Square's videogame release is planned for Spring 2005.

This show seemed interesting, I was thinking about giving it a try soon.

Edited by Anubis

Aaaaarg@ :(

I'd been downloading A-KEEP's fansubs of it.

Now it'll take me over half a year to find out what happens after ep 31..

;.;!!!

Atleast I got ep 31 before it was taken down.. :angry:

For the unscrupulous few, the fansubs will continue. By someone.

My backlog is huge enough right now that's it not a big worry. I may download the first few so I can get a taste of what it's like though. At least they didn't do like Bandai did to Gundam Seed: announce the license and make the subbers stop when they were at ep 45 out of 50. Thank god for Haro^2.

Full Metal Alchemist rocks. I'm a little concerned about FUNimation, however.

What's wrong with Funimation? I mean they only change the dialogue, release episodes out of order, change titles and names etc. What more could an North American anime fan ask for? The only company that's better is Manga...and they rule all ..... :blink::blink::blink:

btw whats this show about? Is this a fanatsy type show?

Don't have to worry about that, the discs will undoubtedly be bilingual and uncut. They've been doing good on the dvd's with their recent released shows (Blue Gender, Fruits Basket, Kiddy Grade, etc.). Even the dubs haven't been too bad. My only gripe about funimation is they tend to still use the low-episode-count-per disc format. They did screw up DBZ/DBGT, so that stain will stick. "Case Closed" is another lunacy example.

Funimation can be a mixed bag, but a show like FMA should be fine. Kiddy Grade and Tenchi GXP are coming out all right so far.

Edited by Anubis

btw whats this show about? Is this a fanatsy type show?

Sort of. It takes place in an "almost modern" world, and there is alchemy, so I guess that qualifies as fantasy. Here's a short synopsis

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1265,my...etal_alche.html

It gets the "BSU" stamp of approval, if that means anything to you. :D

Edit: I just found THIS fan site.

Edited by bsu legato

My only gripe about funimation is they tend to still use the low-episode-count-per disc format.

FMA was released at 4 episodes per disk in Japan, so Funi's release will be at least that.

I'd prefer 5 per disk, but 4 is good enough.

I was just about to start downloading this but I'm sure someone will continue to fansub the show. Itsn't it about to end soon at 51 episodes and the fansubs are up to episode 30 now? I woud hope they would finish it since they are close to the end.

I was just about to start downloading this but I'm sure someone will continue to fansub the show. Itsn't it about to end soon at 51 episodes and the fansubs are up to episode 30 now? I woud hope they would finish it since they are close to the end.

Uhh..that's nowhere near the end...but...I'm sure ppl will follow up. Anything with enough fanboys would. I cna't say the same for Yukikaze though. Sigh.

FUNimation? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Anubis, I hope you're right and they don't manage to find a way to mess with the DVD release. Won't even bother with the CN version.

I've heard that some of FUNimation's recent subtitles have been outstanding, and even include the Japanese honorifics, like "san" and "chan." Is this true?

I'm still worried about low episode counts though. Just because the Japanese release had 4 episodes per disc, is that a guarantee that FUNimation will follow the same format?

Just when it was getting exciting too... the entire OP of the series has started taking on darker undertones....

No kidding! It's going to take forever for FUNimation to catch up to this point. I figure at least fall 2005, if they start releasing the DVDs in January. :(

I've not had too many problems with Funimation's DVD releases either, at least with their subtitles. Their translation tends to be litteral, which is good (as long as you make sure you're not on the close caption track that they put on some of their releases). The timing seems to be pretty good too. In fact, I'd rate Funimations subtitle work well above ADV's and even above some of Bandai's releases (they tend to skimp on the lower profile series).