SDF Macross TV OVA?

Drad

It's not a bootleg. It's an officially licensed product, Region 2. CDJapan sells only licensed products. It's also not the old SDF Macross series on DVD, it's an OVA version with new animation.

I do own the AnimEigo SDF Macross series.

Anyone? Any reviews or information?

Edited by Drad

Drad Posted on Apr 29 2004, 12:10 AM

It's not a bootleg. It's an officially licensed product, Region 2. CDJapan sells only licensed products. It's also not the old SDF Macross series on DVD, it's an OVA version with new animation.

Anyone? Any reviews or information?

Hmmm...new animation?! I'm kinda intrigued by this now. How different can it be from the old TV series? :blink::huh: Has anyone seen this at all that could shed some light on the subject?

It's also not the old SDF Macross series on DVD, it's an OVA version with new animation.

Yes it is, and no it isn't.

Read the item description before you say, "No it isn't."

Unless you own this, or have seen this. Share with us, please?

Edited by Drad

It's also not the old SDF Macross series on DVD, it's an OVA version with new animation.

Yes it is, and no it isn't.

Read the item description before you say, "No it isn't."

Click on the link at the bottom of that page that leads to the Japanese version of that page and read that description.

Read the Macross compendium, and you'll see that the first of three box sets of the original series was released 25/1/2000, just like what you've linked to.

Do you somehow think a reanimated OVA version of Macross was released four years ago and Macrossworld just somehow happened to not notice it? Use your brain here.

Hey, just maybe. I'm using my brain, thanks. Back off.

OVA is a condensed form of the original story that may or may not occur within the series continuity. The fact that this is identified as an OVA means that it is in fact not the original SDF Macross as seen on TV, but instead a re-telling.

State-of-the-art visuals indicates completely new material. Not remastered original animation.

Then again, it's possible that I'm mistaken. In which case I will gladly defer. No need to make with the comments.

Panon Posted on Apr 29 2004, 12:31 AM

Click on the link at the bottom of that page that leads to the Japanese version of that page and read that description.

Read the Macross compendium, and you'll see that the first of three box sets of the original series was released 25/1/2000, just like what you've linked to.

Do you somehow think a reanimated OVA version of Macross was released four years ago and Macrossworld just somehow happened to not notice it? Use your brain here

My feelings exactly, Thank you, PANON! ;)

Cool, then. I somehow feel like less of a Macross fan now, and those of you with more information are somehow better than me. Oh dear. B))

All of that aside, I'm kinda bummed if it is in fact the same footage. I was hoping for an OVA with state-of-the-art animation, according to the site's description of it. But if it isn't...

.. I guess some of us will keep hoping for a remake. :lol:

Edited by Drad

Hey, just maybe. I'm using my brain, thanks. Back off.

OVA is a condensed form of the original story that may or may not occur within the series continuity. The fact that this is identified as an OVA means that it is in fact not the original SDF Macross as seen on TV, but instead a re-telling.

State-of-the-art visuals indicates completely new material. Not remastered original animation.

Then again, it's possible that I'm mistaken. In which case I will gladly defer. No need to make with the comments.

Actually, OVA just means its a direct to video release. Nothing else is specifically implied to it, no does it specify that it's new animation. I have to agree with the others here, there's absolutely no way in hell we'd have missed a r-animated version of the TV series. Hell, its all we freakn' talk about every 2 months, and a good share of us regularly import.

Do you somehow think a reanimated OVA version of Macross was released four years ago and Macrossworld just somehow happened to not notice it? Use your brain here.

I like how some people just can't resist replying to other Macross fans in this manner. :rolleyes: Nice.

I like how some people just can't resist replying to other Macross fans in this manner. :rolleyes: Nice.

Yeah?

Well, you're.. um.. a dummy-head. :angry:

It's mislabled. Its just a current re-print of the Japanese only version of Macross SDF-1 TV series. Not sure if its re-mastered like AnimEigos but the 3 boxes looks just like the current bootleg set. :D

Edit - notice it said out of print and it cost "US$ 137.98" for the first 12 episodes? What a ripoff! 450 USD for the whole set! I'm gonna snag AnimEigo's Remastered Edition ASAP!

Edited by Neova

I see. Heh, they oughta just take it down. It's not only mislabeled, it's not even in stock. Probably hasn't been for awhile.

And yeah, get that AnimEigo SDF Macross set. It's super cheap now, compared to what some members paid for theirs. You won't regret it!

Edited by Drad

Edit - notice it said out of print and it cost "US$ 137.98" for the first 12 episodes?

I'm gonna snag AnimEigo's Remastered Edition ASAP! What a ripoff.

not really, just standard japanese DVD prices. They are *expensive*.

Drad: please don't 'flame' like that, Panon was right,

and it was fun seeing Silvie's quote there from macross 2 :

"Use your brain! " :lol:

Flame, huh? Okay. :lol:

And it's okay if he WAS right. I'm not familiar with that quote (yeah, I know, I'm not cool because I don't know it), and to me, that comment was unnecessary.

He's right, and that's fine. Onward!!

Edited by Drad

I guess they would have included a line like "new scenes" if it was anything new... really over priced... I wonder if it comes with a Yamato Valk included :p

Edited by RichterX

Description

The OVA masterpiece boasting state-of-the-art visuals is out on DVD! Contains episodes 1 thru 12. In the year 1999, an alien space craft crashlands on Earth. The humans gathered its wits to repair the ship, admiring its sheer advanced technology, naming it ''Macross''. In the day of the spaceship's inauguration, the base is attacked and the ship takes off with 56000 citizens on board who were just spectating visitors. Running time: 390 mins.

CDJapan's description of the disc's content is just misleading, that's all. Oh well. I was hoping. :lol: