The Clone Wars according to Lucas

As the title says, George Lucas has provided a nice introduction for the new "Shatterpoint" novel, starring Mace Windu. What's interesting is how closely much of it mirrors the introduction to the original Star Wars novel from '77. Without further delay, here it is:

Prologue

The Clone Wars

by George Lucas

For a thousand years, the Old Republic prospered and grew under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the venerable Jedi Knights. But as often happens when wealth and power grow beyond all reasonable proportion, an evil fueled by greed arose. The massive organs of commerce mushroomed in power, the Senate became corrupt, and an ambitious senator named Palpatine was voted Supreme Chancellor. Most disturbingly, the Dark Lords of the Sith reappeared, after a thousand years of seeming absence.

In the midst of this turmoil, a separatist movement was formed under the leadership of the charismatic former Jedi count dooku. by promising an alternative to the corruption and greed that was rotting the Republic from within, Dooku was able to persuade thousands of star systems to secede from the Republic. Unbeknownst to most of his followers, Dooku was himself a Dark Lord of the Sith, acting in collusion with his master, Darth Sidious, who, over the years, had struck an unholy alliance with the greater forces of commerce and their private droid armies.

The turning point came when Count Dooku lured the unsuspecting Jedi into a trap on the desolate planet of Geonosis. Having just discovered the existence of a clone army that had been secretly commissioned for the Republic ten years earlier, the Jedi were well prepared whenthey confronted the Separatists on Geonosis, but their victory in thatheated battle was pyrric. It would prove to be merely the opening salvo in a war that would spread like fire across the galaxy and engulf thousands of star systems in the legendary Clone Wars.

Having already been granted emergency powers in the face of the growing threat, Chancellor Palpatine used his ironclad grip on the Senate to seize even greater authority, all in the name of security. To address the urgent military needs of the Republic, he enlisted the Jedi Knights as generals to command the Clone Army. The Jedi valiantly accepted their assignment, though never having served as military commanders, they were unaccustomed to the wages of war. Their ranks, once sufficient to serve as the guardians of peace and justice, were spread periously thin in the face of this unthinkable challenge. Their relationship with Palpatine grew strained. At the same time, they felt their own power waning even as their most promising new apprentice completed his training and stood poised to fulfill his destiny as the chosen one who would bring balance to the Force.

The Clone Wars raged for three long years, tearing the Republic apart and spawning countless tales of heroism, bravery, treachery, and betrayal as both sides fought to defend their ideals. As dedicated as the Separatists were in their resolve to create a new order to replace the failing Republic, the Jedi were equally determined to preserve the Republic and defeat the Sith, who they understood all too well were the masterminds of the Separatist movement. They still believed in the Republic, still deemed it a Republic worth saving. Their faith, which gave them superhuman strength in the face of mind-boggling power of the enemy, had yet to be shaken.

Oh, and thanks to whomever it was on TFN that transcribed this.

This once again confirms the path the prequel films will take and that the Sith are ultimately at the center of the fall of the Republic. Not too many new revelations are present, but this introduction by Lucas does explain the reason Ben was referred to as "General Kenobi" in the original films. A very nice wrap on that open thread.

I wonder how exactly the Jedi are wiped out. Are the Jedi killed through attrition in the Clone Wars or are they just being thinned out for the final blow to come once Anakin becomes Vader?

I can see the birth of the Rebel Alliance being a very key event in the completion of the story arch. From a writer's perspective, it serves as the event that bridges the two trilogies into a single epic saga.

For comparison's sake, I've finally found the prologue for the original A New Hope novel. When asked about it in an interview, Alan Dean Foster admitted his memory was a little hazy on where it came from, but it is known to have been based on the original screenplay and Lucas' notes.

Another galaxy, another time.

The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that ... it was the Republic. Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside. Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic. Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the Imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions. But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.

From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples...

From the First Saga

Journal of the Whills

*Potential spoiler*

If the current synopsis holds true, the Jedi will be ambushed by their own clone troopers, which had a program embedded in them from the start to respond to Palpatine's "call." They are already isolated from each other while leading the trooper squads, and they will be taken completely by surprize. It was supposed to be a nice dramatic element, as for example we see Obi-wan had befriended his commanders and then has to defend himself against them. The result of this would be a lot of dead Jedi, and a few escapees. Anakin and/or Vader then is supposed to head out for some of the survivors.

Edited by Anubis

The intros are neat... they definitely feel like Star Wars, which I guess makes sense because they are pretty much Lucas' outlines and writings...

I don't like the Expanded Universe, novels and such, though. The hired gun novelists that write this stuff tend to make it feel very "not-Star Wars" to me.

I mean, the novel's title - Shatterpoint says enough to keep me away. That sounds like any generic fiction book - definitely doesn't feel like any kind of Star Wars that I want to be into.

Mace Windu was a happy Jedi... until he reached... the Shatterpoint!

The older and more jaded I get, the more I just want to lock myself in a room with the original version of Empire Strikes Back and pretend that none of this stuff exists.

Edited by Blaine23

The intros are neat... they definitely feel like Star Wars, which I guess makes sense because they are pretty much Lucas' outlines and writings...

I don't like the Expanded Universe, novels and such, though. The hired gun novelists that write this stuff tend to make it feel very "not-Star Wars" to me.

I mean, the novel's title - Shatterpoint says enough to keep me away. That sounds like any generic fiction book - definitely doesn't feel like any kind of Star Wars that I want to be into.

The older and more jaded I get, the more I just want to lock myself in a room with the original version of Empire Strikes Back and pretend that none of this stuff exists.

Almost all franchises are guilty of this. Product isn't pushed because it's necessarily good art, or good "Star Wars." It's created and sold because there is demand for it. Personally, I've never understood why so many fans cling to the extended universe like they have...for any franchise really. Law of diminishing returns rules and eventually it all sucks, even if the quality is good, simply because humans are naturally creatures of change. But obviously some fans are buying it, since it's continuially produced. Just not me :)

Then again, I suppose I shouldn't be so jaded. After all, the thousands of crap products sold for the SW franchise does mean they allow for funding of the very few good products like Jedi Knight games or Saxton's Cross Section books :)

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Stupid EU with the Suncrushers and force inhibiting lizards and what not feels more like Star Trek. Heck, even the happy ewoks parts in ROTJ doesn't quite gel with the gritty ESB or NH.

I never bothered with the EU books after the Thrawn novels. The Suncrusher SUCKS.

remembered glory of the Republic. Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

That doesn't quite gel with the image of the Emporer as protrayed in the first 3 movies.

Darth Vader was more afraid of the Emporer then a boot-licker and anybody else below Vader was also scared as hell of Vader (except for Tarkin). Both the Emperor and Vader seemed liked people who hated bootlickers and took no nonsense from fawning subordinates. Certaintly not the type of leaders who are controlled by their assistants and entourage.

There is no Dana, only Zoul.

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I'm just happy that I have no idea what a Suncrusher or a force-inhibiting lizard is... but I can do a dead-on Billy Dee impression from ESB. That's really all that matters. ;)

But if people like the EU stuff, more power to them. I've enjoyed a few of the video games - but I don't want to read a solo adventure about Ewok #4 who stood next to Wicket at the bonfire scene. Unless it's really, really violent - then maybe.

Pics are out there of Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, plus what's-his-name decked out as Vader. I would definately expect the Rebel Alliance to be up and running by the end of the film.

As far as I know, Lucas' original Star Wars novel was published in '74.

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the EU stuff. I've read five of the six novels written by Zahn, and they were pretty good, but I have been told that most of the other EU novels boil down to "Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie fight the villian of the week and his/her ridiculously over-powered superweapon." It's a damn shame that they couldn't come up with new ideas and new characters. At least Zahn managed to avoid superweapons, and come up with Karrde, Mara, Thrawn, Pellaeon, and Bel Iblis. And let's not even get into the New Jedi Order crap.

The only Jedi Knight game I played was Jedi Outcast. I've only played the first level or so, and I thought it was so-so (although, in fairness to the series, I heard that the first few levels of Outcast are the worst, and that I should stick to it). While I'm at it, the Rogue Squadron games are kinda overrated. I think that Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter had a much better engine (and you can actually lock on a target! Now you try it, Factor 5...). Too bad Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter had a limited ammount of lame ships, lame characters, and lame story. But hands down, the best Star Wars game has got to be Knights of the Old Republic. Many props also go to TIE Fighter.

The Thrawn trilogy rocked. I haven't been able to force myself to read anything else. I had bought a lot of the books and hardcovers before too. Never could sit through them. New Jedi Order held no interest for me. Though the death toll was surprizing. Read about it in a magazine in the store. Killed Chewie and Anakin (Han and Leia's son). Now Luke is married and stuff. Too much.

The graphic novels for Dark Empire and the TOTJ: Dark Lords of the Sith were cool too.

I remember that original introduction. In my opinion, it fit well with what was seen in ANH, since the first movie really only needed a general background. Later movies contradicted the tone and, increasingly, the facts of that intro. Probably not coincidentally, I haven't really liked anything related to SW since Empire. Still haven't seen Attack of the Clones.

Also, IMNSHO, the new introduction, although sharing some of the themes and wording of the old one, is rubbish.

Edited by ewilen