Official Gundam Plamodel Thread

Oh man.... I just got my GM in the mail and opened it.... all I can say is 'oops...' This kit really isn't on par with any of the other MG releases.... real simple kit to get me started I guess, but I'll obviosuly need one of the 8th MS Team GM Snipers and a GM Ver. Ka to have decent looking ones.... I obvisouly didn't realize at all how radically different the 8th MS Team stuff is.... oops.

Has anyone else built this kit?  I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make the knees and elbows more posable.... And I thought I read somewhere that the core block joint is really loose... has anyone else noticed this problem or found a way to correct it?

353893[/snapback]

The MG RGM-79 GM is a good starter kit. It's not terribly complicated. Also it's based off the ver. 1 MG RX-78-2, so expect lots of parts to not be what they should. There is no way to make the joints more poseable since the kit is based of the ver. 1 MG RX-78-2. The core block is definitely loose, but given that it was based off the first MG, don't expect much. The best way to lock it down is to glue it. I have built the kit so I know of most of the problems associated with it.

I have one of the old GM kits, it's the exact same mold as the RX-78-2 that was released in 98.

From what I'm understanding, HLJ has a conversion kit that allows you to make the GM as poseable as the OYW Gundam kit, but I really think it means taking the exo of the OYW Gundam and replacing it with a GM body style.

Sadly there really isn't any way of making the model better that I've seen.

But I don't think there's really a problem with the kit either, I did everything I could to it to make it almost as detailed and dramatic looking as the kits we see now a days.

But yes if you were to do a GM sniper you were better off getting just the 8th MS Team ground combat GM, painting it a dark green with I think it was an orange visor I can't remember.

Alot of the kits they're advertising on Amazon are from 98-2001 I think....none of those kits are what we see in today's standards of MG kits.

the best way that i can think of is with a tamiya clear green you can pick up a jar from image anime for about $2.00

chris

I'm kinda thinkin just green ink will do the trick.... I will have to see tho. I'm also still trying to figure out the scheme for my RX-78-G Team... white with dark and light bluey-grey bits sounds cool...maybe with the yellow still there. I'm just trying to figure out what paint to use for the white... I've got a can of medium grey primer, but it seems too dark at first glance... only thing that might be sueful is the fact that with only one coat it doesnt actually stick to the plastic but rather settles on teh panels and not on the edges, which may well lend itself well to pre-done shades and highlights... decisions decisions.

Edited by promethuem5

Paint schemes are very difficult for me to think about at times. Sometimes what I like to do, though it takes a long amount of time, is try scanning or finding some line art images of the model instructions on the completed kit. Then I'll just go ahead and start painting in parts on the instructions.

Something I use to do when I didn't have the time was I'd take a light board, trace the images and color 'em with penciles and mark areas with letters which will be which.

With those older kits you really just gotta make all the details yourself.

IM000279.jpg

Here's a collage of my GM Custom with a GM Cold Climate Mastergrade i've had for a few years. The Cold Climate appeared in 0080 WitP and at the time I thought was a cool mobile suit, but I'm more of a fan for the Space combat version from the OVA.

I had to tape off alot of areas on the shield and feet to get the box like appearance, and I didn't add alot of line detail to it cause there wasn't alot of it to go around compared to that Cold Climate which I had a field day with and regreted.

Here's also a shot of my OYW Dom which I turned African Desert combat style. I really liked how well it turned out....took alot of green and tan.

IM000294.jpg

and as I was mentioning, taking line art and getting an idea of your color scheme, here's a Z.A.K.U. I was working on so if I ever get one of those HG models again, I'll make it more like this.

post-600-1135118585_thumb.jpg

Awesome. I think I like that scheme with the dark grey-blue torso alot... That's about what I was shooting for... somethng less bright blue and more military. I might end up doing the GM in standard GM colors, but for my 78Gs I might steal your scheme.

interesting forum... :D

I've read and it seems many of you are into gunpla building...

I used to be into kit building but after moving out and got the job other things took the priority and it was long time before I have some stability in my life to get back to this hobby... :p

well without much ado I'd like to start my very first posting with some of my Gundam kits... some old and some new...

This PG RX-78 took me about 5 week with working 1-2 hours every night except weekends from memory... It was long time ago...

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/926/p10507172od.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2045/p10507161jz.jpg

If I ever going to build another PG I will do the complete skeleton weathering plus more subtle MAX style shading...

Mk-II ver 2.0 below took me two solid days after I got hold of the kit mate of mine attempted to build but due to lack of time passed on to me... (Can't recall how long I spent on the full scratch 1/100 Guntank though)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8301/p10506951hd.jpg

(that's the 1/100 full scratch built Guntank in front by the way)

hope you enjoy...

Edited by dj898

No I'm still not that comfortable with MAX style painting...

here's Gundam ver Ka I did in Sentinel colour scheme n MAX style...

I personally think there's still too much of red bits but I'm generally happy with the result...(will need to experiment with the pressure next time I have some spare time). You can see Guntank with one side of caterpillar broken waiting for repair job...

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/599/p10506577he.jpg

For Guntank it's pretty much full scratch build though the torso is based on MG GunCannon partially - i.e. shoulder, upper arm and waste inc. core block system. The lower part is basically a simple box w/ junk Tamiya military tank parts though the caterpillar I used was very fragile and it's pron to dislodge every time I handle the kit... :( I need to do something about that... anyway it's been quite some time I built this one so my memory is bit hazy...

here's the another shot of Guntank...

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6821/p10506921rt.jpg

sorry Macross never hold my interest as I wasn't into airplane but its mecha designs were not my liking... he he

and thanks for the warm welcome!

353988[/snapback]

Yeah Bud, welcome, welcome. Your Gundams look real cool. Dave

Yeah, the GM I got is from Amazon... as are the 2 RX-78-Gs... much nicer kits from what I can tell.  ANyone got any recommendations on how to make my GMs clear visor green tinted like on the box and in the anime?

353907[/snapback]

A real easy way to do this is to just use a green sharpie. And if you want it to be super shiny, put a bit of really smooth tin foil shiny side out on the inside of it.

So you have to add your own gold plating with the Akatsuki?

That is one sweet kit BTW. They are getting better and better. I wish that they would upscale it to 1/100, but that is amazing work for a 1/144 kit.

Ah yes, I see that the HGUC stuff looks cheesy as usual... but what's that GM?  I don't recognize it but I think I'd like to get to know it :D

354066[/snapback]

It's the MSA-003 Nemo from Zeta and is looking real nice. And that's purely from the fact that I am a fan of "all suits grunt". :D

So you have to add your own gold plating with the Akatsuki?

354067[/snapback]

I was assuming that it hasn't received it's final plating, but I'd bet the non-casual modelers would prefer to add their own anyway.

Edited by GRAND CANNON

The Akatsuki actually looks kind of sweet in black.

The Nemo is looking really good too.

excellent both the Pallace Athene and Akatsuki look good which is the only 2 kits that i really want to get right now, the MG Nemo looks nice as well, it looks a lot bigger then before, before in the pictures it seemed quite short now it seems to be the size of the rick dias :)

Akatsuki will probably get it's gold plating in production. But that looks like one of the final test runs. Not bad. I definitely will be picking that up (Dammit I want a 1/100 with both packs). Maybe someone will repaint Akatsuki with black after seeing that. :lol:

The Nemo is looking good. That one will also be entering my collection.

If all the black parts will be gold plated, then there really isn't much painting needed. Looks like most of the work will be the shield and small details. :)

They need to make a 1/100 for Akatsuki. :angry:

i am definetly getting it and the Palace Athene, my only problem with the gold plating is the fact that you have to cut it at the sprue which makes it look ugly, if you sand it down then you will ruin it, i plan on possibly painting mine from top to bottom anyhow. i just finished these two off. they are two of the nicer HGUC on the market, The Bandai waterslide decals work wonders on these.

post-1669-1135224869_thumb.jpg

Edited by zeo-mare

my next kit is the HGUC Marasai with a custom paint scheme. it is coming out well so far but there is still alittle more work that needs to be done.

post-1669-1135225273_thumb.jpg