Do you remeber love

Lezt

i am always under the knowledge that do you remember love is the official story for SDF macross and that it is supposed to be a movied made in the macross world for the population in the macross universe.

basing on that, i think htat we can draw a line. that the SDF macross is the real event and that DYRL is just a perspective of that event. and for popaganda reason, the UNG did not want to scare the populance by introducing a new meneace which can destroy earth called the su[ervision army. so they covered the story up as a civil war between the meltrans and the zentrans instead of the supervison army against the zentradies. by this theroy we can kinda explane the direpecies of the series,

comments? it is rather cunfusing in the macross universe....

DYRL? was an interpretation of some of the events on SDF-1, but as to it having a subplot, well, that one is totally new to me! :huh: Guess it goes to say that ya learn something new everyday, specially when yer on this forum. :D

... nor the instatment of the meltrans as a seperate organization than the zentrans.

For propaganda reasons, the film deviated from the historical events. Zentradi female commander Moruk Laplamiz was intentionally protrayed as a commander of an entire "Meltlandi" main fleet separate from the Boddole Zer Main Fleet, in order to emphasize the existence and danger of main fleets besides the Boddole Zer Main Fleet.

That explains the reason for the Meltrans....unless I'm missing the point of the thread. :blink:

You have to remember that the DYRL we know, and the DYRL that was filmed in 2031 are not the same, as emphasized by the a scene from the 2031 movie that was shown during the Macross 7 series, specifically the wedding of Max & Millia.

I've always interpreted that whole movie within a series as a cheap gimmick by Studio Nue/Big West to help sell more DYRL DVDs.

I've always interpreted that whole movie within a series as a cheap gimmick by Studio Nue/Big West to help sell more DYRL DVDs.

Nah...I think it's more of a band-aid, designed to placate rabid fanboys who just *have* to have everything placed neatly into some kind of continuity.

... nor the instatment of the meltrans as a seperate organization than the zentrans.
For propaganda reasons, the film deviated from the historical events. Zentradi female commander Moruk Laplamiz was intentionally protrayed as a commander of an entire "Meltlandi" main fleet separate from the Boddole Zer Main Fleet, in order to emphasize the existence and danger of main fleets besides the Boddole Zer Main Fleet.

That explains the reason for the Meltrans....unless I'm missing the point of the thread. :blink:

hummn that empphsis is that there are more zentrady fleats out there, my point is that the meltrans are used as a cover up for the supervision army, i.e. the sdf macross is originally supervisoion army then in the movie it was meltran's/

Nah...I think it's more of a band-aid, designed to placate rabid fanboys who just *have* to have everything placed neatly into some kind of continuity.

I never thought of it that way, but I like the idea...

I always saw the "movie within a fictional universe" thing to be more of band-aid on the sissy-girly-limpwristed-wannabeteletubie-buttplug of a show: M7 :)

The whole "movie within a fictional universe" was invented by Studio Nue ten years after DYRL came out, therefore it was never really intended for that purpose... It was just repurposed.

I heard that it is like a film about the 'real' events of Macross.

I see it as the "preferred" way of telling the events of Macross...

I see it as the "preferred" way of telling the events of Macross...

I just saw it recently for the first time and while I like the superior animation I think I'd prefer the story of the original series over the story in DYRL.

Of course all I've seen so far of the original series is Robotech:TMS and a handful of actual SDF:Macross episodes but it's enough to make the call, IMO.

Really was not impressed at all with DYRL, except for the animation.

It just felt really rushed and like they were trying to fit a whole lot of story into not enough room.

Personnally, I tend to prefer the movie because it emphasizes greatly the 'love' concept. I mean, the symbolism of zentrans fighting meltrans is rather obvious: it's basically what happens between little boys and little girls during the little school -except that they don't have mechs, fortunately :p - then they become adult and are attracted by each other... It's an immortal story because it's almost philosophical: it describes the links between two sorts of people whose thinking processes are completely different, almost antagonist in fact, though very narrowly linked through an all-powerfull sentiment completely beyond any sort of reasonings :)

There's love everywhere in this story: when Minmeï and Hikaru are together or when Misa or Claudia lose their fiancé. Even when Max fights Millia because we all know that love stories often begin in a conflicting way, and it isn't very different between Misa and Hikaru btw. Even when Moruk Laplamiz is killed by Boddole Zer before the very final combat, they just look like one of these old married couples who can't stand each other because they lived too much long together. And the Space War is won with a love song... I think this is why Kawamori said that Macross is there, 'somewhere': it's not this sort of concept you can give a definitive shape to, or you may ruin all its poetry. If it was that simple, there wouldn't be that much love stories in all the cultures of the world :)

Yes, of course, the movie was made for profit but I think Kawamori saw the characters had evolved considerably between the very first episode and the last one of the TV serie and that a more complex symbolism could be depicted into DYRL: what were some basic plots to combine the various episodes together finally became some sort of Macross trademark, hence the differences between the serie and the movie. There's a strong love affair into Macross Plus aswell and you can easily feel that the rivalry between the two pilots is more related to Myung than a piloting skills affair :)

Well, probably... :p

hence the differences between the serie and the movie.

Well. . . that and the fact that the TV series had 18 hours in which to tell their story. . . vs two.

But that was an interesting post nonetheless.

But one can read into things too much. I think everything that is in DYRL is also in SDF Macross. The latter just had the time to actually be subtle about it all.

H

I always saw the "movie within a fictional universe" thing to be more of band-aid on the sissy-girly-limpwristed-wannabeteletubie-buttplug of a show: M7  :)

LOL!!

cbg.gif

Best....Explanation....EVER!

Thanks, that one was in my holster for a while.

Well. . . that and the fact that the TV series had 18 hours in which to tell their story. . . vs two.

Which is a lot of the reason I think I prefer the series. The story in DYRL felt rushed. So much was glossed over or just not touched on at all. A lot of characterization was just missing. If I hadn't seen the series a lot of these characters would have been cardboard.

Now I understand that a movie has much less time to tell it's story than a series of short episodes. 18 hours versus 2 as you say, but that's why movie style storytelling is *different* than series style storytelling and why, IMO, jamming most of the Macross story as it was into 2 hours just didn't work.

But one can read into things too much.  I think everything that is in DYRL is also in SDF Macross.  The latter just had the time to actually be subtle about it all.

Agree completely here.

To me, the biggest difference is the emphasis placed on Minmay. In the tv series, you will hate her. In DYRL, she got more screen time, shows more emotion towards Hikaru and you really feel she got the short end of the bargain.

Ah, unrequited first loves. One never forget them. :)