Q-Rau build up

I thought I'd thin my Macross pile out a little, so I grabbed the Bandai 1/144th scale Q-Rau. Did I mention that I hate that scale? Well, at least the Q-Rau is big enough to make this scale somewhat feasible.

This build up will be not as detailed as the normal ones. I just thought I would take a few pictures now and then.

This first pic includes most of the parts, some of which have been already put together. I added a primer coat to most... primarily to show seams that I missed on the first go around. I'm planning on the Miria red version for this Q-Rau. But I think I may try a shiny red finish. I hear if you use a shiny lacquer (like Alclad) and then use the clear red acrlic over that, then you get a nice finish. We will see!

post-23-1081916695_thumb.jpg

Here is a close-up on the leg seams and main shoulder seams. I think I did a pretty ok job. Thank God for Mr. Surfacer 500. This model fits together very nicely, but the Mr. Surfacer makes it look like there was never even two pieces.

The detail on the pieces are not that impressive. Of course, what do you expect from a small scale, especially from Bandai? (We are spoiled by Hasegawa).

post-23-1081916912_thumb.jpg

well here is my attempt at getting the shiny red finish. i made the mistake of not putting a final coat of primer on before I sprayed, which made for some spots here and there. I put a coat of the Alclad lacquer (Polished Aluminum) and then a coat of Clear Red + Smoke Acrylics over the Alclad. I think it looks ok.... what do you guys think?

post-23-1082097016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Its a purtee colour, fer sure :)

Maybe the flash is making it look brighter than it is, thats what usually happens when i take shots.

I would like to see the final product =)

Sam

Very cool metallic red idea! Can't wait to see more, you did a great job at sanding away the seams - if I remember correctly, those old kits are a bitch. :p

actually the pink reminds me of the pink i used on the missile bay covers on my q rau from a while back!

Bring on the hot pink :lol:

Sam

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile... lots of stuff going on, so I haven't had much time to model. I added a couple more coats of the clear red and smoke, so hopefully it doesn't look so pink now. Maybe the lighting is slightly off with my camera... the real color is a blood red color... very nice in person.

Does anyone have any nice reference pic of Milia's Q-Rau? I'd love to see any detail on markings?... since the markings that came with the Bandai kit do not coincide with the Milia version. Thanks in advance.

post-23-1085372752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

I've started to put a couple of the pieces together. I have not had a chance to do any of the weathering or any of the touch up painting. I am going to have to piece together some of the Milia markings since the Bandai version does not come with Milia options. Does anyone have some good line art of the Milia version?

I don't have the headpiece on yet... its the only major piece I have missing.

I noticed after all this time that I screwed up on the legs. One leg has the missile bays on both the inside and outside of the same leg... I can't believe I didn't notice until now. I have alot of painting to do around these areas.

These pictures are still coming out very pinkish. The real life version is much more blood red looking. I will have to take it out into the natural sunlight to do final pictures.

post-23-1085547790_thumb.jpg

Ok... I'm in the home stretch. Basically all I've done is scratchbuilt a new head to make it the Milia Red Version head instead of the one that comes with the Bandai kit. I think it turned out ok.

As you can see, I still need to add a few decals. I'm just going to choose a couple of the Bandai decals to give it a little character. I've added the leg decals, which I made myself. Basically all I did was cut some out of this black line sticker material that you can buy at most hobby shops. If you're interested I'll post a picture of it.

I also plan on doing an oil wash to highlight some other crevices, but that's it. I'm not going to do a drybrush or anything else. I'm going to keep it kinda new looking. That's partly because I'm lazy... and I'm itching to move on to my next few models. I have three models already under way:

Hasegawa VF-2SS

G-Systems SDF-1 Cruiser Mode

Club-M Jamming Bird Battroid

post-23-1085885418_thumb.jpg

Very nice, i like the new head, and the decals u have made yourself, top stuff :)

the oil wash will be nice on it too, its amazing how many nooks and crannies are brought out on this model. There are some larger holes though that personally i painted, then oil washed, like on the shoulders and forearms, whether its right or not though im not sure, just made mine look better :p

very nice indeed though :):)

Great work! LTSO. Try taking some pictures in natural daylight - the colours might be closer.

Can't wait to see more when you are finished.

That's looking really good, LTSO. The scratchbuilt head looks great. Though technically, you should have also made a DYRL style 'antenna' to replace the TV type one that the kit comes with.

It probably wouldn't be too tough to make one from a piece of sheet styrene. So if you want to go for that last bit of accuracy, you could probably bust off the old one and replace it fairly easily.