Another video game to be made into a flick

I'd rather see Bruckheimer stop making movies, he churns out crap like none other. That said, I think a Tetris movie would work really well. :lol:

Back in the '80s I could see some sort of Mortal Kombat-type story being made up for Tetris :lol:

Vostok 7

karateka always played like crap on my old commodore, and my dude wouldn't stop running until he mashed into one of the baddies and fell sown :lol: I loved beating on that dudes eagle though!

I was always more of a Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu fan...and don't even get me started on Rocketball :ph34r:

Just out of curiosity.... what are wrong with Bruckheimer films?

For the most part, they're all action and no plot. And each film seems to have issues of their own:

1. Armageddon - Moviegoers complained that the movie was way too loud. At least it was better than the snoozefest called Deep Impact.

2. Gone in 60 Seconds - Compared to the original's 45-minute car chase, the new version's car chase is at most 10 minutes long. And the overall excitement level goes down the drain when the "long jump" is done in CG (the original version's 30-foot jump was 100% real).

3. Coyote Ugly - Need I say more?

4. Pearl Harbor - Completely beats Titanic as the ultimate bastardization of a 20th century event.

5. Kangaroo Jack - Need I say more?

Aside from Black Hawk Down, Bruckheimer's redeeming points are those with the late Don Simpson:

Crimson Tide

Beverly Hills Cop

Top Gun

For the most part, they're all action and no plot. And each film seems to have issues of their own...

Who produced Pirates of the Caribbeans? I thought that movie was very entertaining, Kiera Knightley (who is a hot young actress who is actually *younger* than I am. Boy, do I feel old.) notwithstanding.

Edited by Stamen0083

Sometimes, we just wanna forget about the plot and be entertained silly for 2 hours.

Maybe, but Gone in 60 Seconds pissed me off to no end. It was just merely about looking at all of the exotic cars. The original version was all about the white-knuckle car chase between the 1973 Ford Mustang Mach I (The original "Eleanor") and police cars all over L.A. Over 90 cars were totaled, and all the film needed was one "Eleanor" to carry out all the stunts.

The new movie, on the other hand, needed a dozen "Eleanors," and over half of them were junked. Especially for a rather boring car chase.

For the most part, they're all action and no plot. And each film seems to have issues of their own:

1. Armageddon - Moviegoers complained that the movie was way too loud. At least it was better than the snoozefest called Deep Impact.

2. Gone in 60 Seconds - Compared to the original's 45-minute car chase, the new version's car chase is at most 10 minutes long. And the overall excitement level goes down the drain when the "long jump" is done in CG (the original version's 30-foot jump was 100% real).

4. Pearl Harbor - Completely beats Titanic as the ultimate bastardization of a 20th century event.

Aside from Black Hawk Down, Bruckheimer's redeeming points are those with the late Don Simpson:

Crimson Tide

Beverly Hills Cop

Top Gun

So I guess.. The Rock, Flashdance, etc.. were also Simpson collaborations?

hmmm... shame.. I guess that's why I've been noticing a drop in Bruckheimer film quality...

EDIT: yeah... just checked the Bruckheimer site... all the better films were indeed Simpson collaborations...

Edited by Akilae

Yeap, the two co-produced a string of hits in the 80s and 90s, until Don Simpson's untimely demise shortly before the release of The Rock.

Don Simpson's really good at picking the right materials and getting the right people together. Bruckheimer's better at overseeing the daily operation side of the production while the two worked as a team. With Simpson gone, it's kind of like today's Disney - you have a slick hit factory but not much in terms of creativity or fresh ideas.

Eh... the Bruckster is a producer. His job is to make money. He seems pretty good at it, if you ask me. Questioning the lack of "art" based upon his name being attached is sorta pointless. The man is not any kind of artist...

All that being said... some of his flicks are crap, others aren't... it really has to do with what writers and directors he ends up working with. Who would've guessed that Pirates of the Carribean, a movie based off a Disneyworld ride - would be worth watching? Much less warrant a Best Actor nom for Depp at the Oscars? Credit Gore Verbiniski, who directed.

Some other decent Bruckheimer stuff that I liked well enough -

CSI (8 kajillion people watch.. and it's better than I would have thought)

Enemy of the State

Remember the Titans

All fall into the "feel good" category of mindless entertainment... but somebody's got to make that stuff.

To be truthful, anyone expecting Prince of Persia (a game I really love) to be made into the next Citizen Kane ought to be slapped. If Bruck and crew can make a fun movie out of it... why not?

Bruckheimer also produces one of my favorite shows... CSI.

Wasn't Karateka based on Game of Death? is that your screencap JR? I would love to get my hands on a Karateka game.

Edited by >EXO<

And Without a Trace.... which is a rather interesting show. :)

Prince of Persia will suck.... for the simple fact that game to movie productions never work. Unless they plan on completly butchering the franchise for the sake of the box office.... I doubt anyone would pay anything to watch 2 hours of some random guy jumping around and avoiding random traps.

Indiana Jones had alot of that.... but it was more then just that. PoP is all about that.

So what about Con Air? I thought Con Air wasnt bad but I have to agree with the movies recently... they werent all that great. The problem how I see this is that Hollywood overall is losing steam on creativity. I mean now they use books, video games, and OMG old TV shows. WTF!??! What happened to good old fashioned imagination?

Just out of curiosity.... what are wrong with Bruckheimer films?

Crimson Tide

Beverly Hills Cop

Top Gun

Don't forget to include Enemy of the State under Bruckheimer's redeeming points.

How about Duck Hunt B)) That would so rock! Anybody tried to print a picture of the duck off the screen and shoot it? It doesn't work. But shooting the reflection off the mirror does... odd.

Not really that odd when you think about it some.

You notice the screen flashes white when you shoot?

The gun works on brightness. It doesn't see the duck and background, it sees the bright white areas that replace the duck when you shoot.

I'm so glad lightguns have evolved to the point where the strobe isn't needed anymore.

Wasn't Karateka based on Game of Death?  is that your screencap JR?  I would love to get my hands on a Karateka game.

You should be able to find an Apple II emulator and a ROM dump of Karateka online easily.

Grab Drol while you're at it. Fun little game.

drol.gif

Edited by Jolly Rogers

OMFG!! Leisure Suit larry would make a freakin awesome comedy!! if they get it right. those games were fun as hell.

prince of persia...I'll have to wait for the trailer to come out and see how it is. great possibilites, but also great chance of screwing it up.

and yah, karateka kicked ass!

Edited by Eternal_D

Wasn't Karateka based on Game of Death?  is that your screencap JR?  I would love to get my hands on a Karateka game.

You should be able to find an Apple II emulator and a ROM dump of Karateka online easily.

But why get the Apple 2 version?

Karateka was multi-platform, and the Commodore 64 qA FAR superior gaming hardware.