What do you love about Macross?

APU

Im just in love with the realism of the weapons and planes. Even though its not, you can see them as being real. Transormers are my 1st love but I cant see any of them except the 1st wave Autobot cars, the Decepticon jets & Prime being real.What about you?

i like the toys mainly cuz i asked to get the vf-1 valks when i was 6. got a alpha fighter and a hover tank and now i have 13 valks total

2 chunky

4 1/60

1 1/48

3 arii models

1 transforming bandai model (unfinished)

1 vf-0 model

1 sd milla

Edited by buddhafabio

I like how they transform and maintain size.

Transformers was cool for me back then, but then you see stuff, like Astrotrain who's the same size as everyone else, transform into a spaceshuttle that can hold all the decepticons. :/

Edited by imode

I love the toys because they just look so damn cool! Just their design and look combined with the personality of the characters for each valk makes it the sweetest thing to own, because you own something you grew up with from your childhood.

Sorry if that sounded corny, but its true. :p

The story and character developments. It' my favorite soap opera. For me the Mecha is just icing on the cake.... Well Ok, It's the coolest icing I've ever seen.

The thing about transforing mecha is its hard to make look proportional with different transformations without anime magic i.e. transformers. The VF is a well thought out mechanical masterpiece. It's proportional in all three modes and is a very realistic mecha. Plus the VF as a significant purpose. Other mecha shows are cool and all. But atleast Macross has a good explanation for having 50 foot tall robots.

The toys?

When I was a kid I used to collect all kinds of toys, MOTU, GIJoe, etc. But the Japanese toys stood out more. hey weren't held together by glue and rubberbands. There were screws, metal and incredible complexity to them. The transformers we cool, but the takatokus and Gakkens were even better. Not just the macross toys but the Orguss toys also, and later the Legioss/Alphas. Add the elaborate story behind them to the detail of the toys and it was more than my hyperactive adolescent brain could handle. Then add the fact that I couldn't afford any of them back then. It's not just love but an unhealthy obsession... :ph34r:

:lol::p

I think the technology in Macross Zero could very well happen (just not in my lifetime). :ph34r:

Shoji Kawamori struck anime gold with his VF-1 design. It's a design that doesn't require tons of anime magic (much like the Eva Series), the schematics have been displayed in countless Macross lineart. Plus it's transformable! Which means multi-tasking. B))

The VF-1, how realisitic it seemed, more realistic than the Transformers which they used a little too much anime magic for the proportions, that I discovered soon as a kid.

The VF-1 and all other Macross mecha (alas, apart from Macross 7) had no mouths and that counted for the 'realism', they didn't need to talk and were not organic, so mouths and lips are just dumb.

Oh, and the Regult! First time I saw it as a kid I was genuinly frightened. These were real alien 'beings', much different from the humanshaped mecha from Earth.

Edited by Wabbit

The design of the VF-1 ranks as my all time most favorite anime/toy design of all time. Even when I saw the first ones back in my teens when Robotech aired I loved the simple elegance of the Valkyrie VF-1... the way it just seemed to "work" in all forms and from a lot of realistic angles. You can almost believe the design and the physics they pull off, like the sweep legs forward "reverse action"... the "gunpod attached to the arm for storage"... the head lasers usable in all modes... the arms usable in two modes... the properties of the jet combined with those of the robot.

In all of animedom I have found no cooler and more functional/believable technical design... funny how my second alltime favorite is the Legioss fighter.

Transormers are my 1st love but I cant see any of them except the 1st wave Autobot cars, the Decepticon jets & Prime being real.

Check out the Transformer Alternators. These are sort of like the G1 toys -- they change into licensed vehicles, like the Dodge Viper or the Subaru Impreza. They have stuff like opening doors and hoods and detailed interiors, along with a fair degree of articulation in robot mode.

I also think the VF-1 is a masterpiece, in terms of design. It's extremely elegant.

Im just in love with the realism of the weapons and planes. Even though its not, you can see them as being real. Transormers are my 1st love but I cant see any of them except the 1st wave Autobot cars, the Decepticon jets & Prime being real.What about you?

Yup I love Macross because the transformation is 'real' as in that the 3D geometry really works in real life (just the dimensions, the actual tech is nuts).

Transformers...I hate it when people lump the transformation of Transformers in the same category as Macross mecha. Most transformers compared to the beautific VF-1 is just a brick with a bus painted on one side and a robot painted on the other. Transform? Just flip the damn thing.

Crap, I could design a hundred different transformers using that kinda standards.

No offence to TF fans, you have your reasons, but to me they just aren't even within 10 leagues of Macross most of the time.

For me it's the transforming mecha. The VFs have good proportions and a low profile in jet mode. They aren't a horribly chunky thing passed off as a jet like with some lines. The robot modes are also nicely proportioned and don't end up looking like a robot with a jet on it's back.

The VF-1 is one of my all time favorite mech designs. I love the Gerwalk. When I was a kid I thought they thought they were supposed to be modified F-14s. My first love in fixed wing aircraft is the F-15 Eagle (but not the E model Strike Eagle) but the F-14 was always a close second. They're not only one of the coolest looking planes I've ever seen, but they're two of my favorite mechs. (batroid, nad gerwalk) :)

I never had any of the toys when I was a kid, despite once having my hands on what I think was a toktaku 1/100 VF-1. I just couldn't convince the folks to spring for it. Now I've got two valks sitting here, both with pretty good articuation.

None of the TF jets could ever compare. (except Jetfire, obviously) Most of them just looked robots with planes on their backs, in either form.

• 3 weeks later...

:blink: did sum1 mention joke machine? awwman awwful is that a joke?

well it's abit cute looking but i felt the very 1st release of ''jokes'' indirectly

hurting the fans. anyone felt it? as seem it treating it for craps.

personally i feel tat way. :lol:

hmmh...remind me the only 1 macross joker i had before.

if i kept it nicely, it should be rare price over 10times.

it's belong to SDgundam-mix series 3-ways transformable(head can pluck out) not samurai series. seem can't find any ppl who have it wif pic.

anyways cheers, if mac is ur hobby, hahaz u know wad i mean.

mac toy, jus like it's way of transforming, sure every macy does.

but still pinning the future for fully fuctions of valk into toy.

escape capsule cmon cmon

escape capsule cmon cmon

DUDE.... THERE'S NO SUCH THING. GET OVER IT.

That was from a dream Hikaru had. A DREAM.

You know, like when you go to sleep and you see weird images that doesn't really make sense in life. :rolleyes:

well it's abit cute looking but i felt the very 1st release of ''jokes'' indirectly

Well we got some fans of the Joke Machines here...

You should check out Solscud's JM's

Anyway, I like macross toys cause they're cool robot toys.

I'm a robot junkie.

Edited by soze

escape capsule cmon cmon

DUDE.... THERE'S NO SUCH THING. GET OVER IT.

That was from a dream Hikaru had. A DREAM.

You know, like when you go to sleep and you see weird images that doesn't really make sense in life. :rolleyes:

yes, indeed horrified nightmare he's having was only a dream.

that isn't the point to end yet. who know the escape function might be real to the valks

post-4-1080326650_thumb.jpg

Well we got some fans of the Joke Machines here...

You should check out Solscud's JM's

Anyway, I like macross toys cause they're cool robot toys.

I'm a robot junkie.

sure, no bad feelings, i dun mean to condemn the collectors.

jus like every single ppl have their different ways of life n motion :D

Edited by alvaro

hey, relac. wad apologizes, nah need.

instead i shall say sorry for letting u mistaking.

hows muai noodles drawing btw. opps dun spill out :lol:

guess i gotta wait for maybe 30 or 40th or even higher macross anniversary to get.

hopefully i didnt part the world n you nice guys yet ;)

Edited by alvaro

I am also facinated by the engineering that goes into the toys.... For something that complex to come together and make a figure that is freaking cool looking, and also maintain very realistic articulation...

I never did collect the toys from a long time ago... They have their purpose now, but I'm just REALLY happy that all of these are being reproduced with todays technology... they may not be as sturdy as the vintage stuff, but they look a helluva lot better... If appearance is what you are after as opposed to playability.