1/48 Legioss Model Question

bbarr97

I have been trying to find a review of this model to no avail. How well does it represent what the actual alpha looks like? Is it grossly disproportioned. Does it look anything like the Alpha when finished? How does it look when built in each mode?

I have done a search and came up with very little opinions. Perhaps someone has picutres of a completed model available in each mode?

Facts and opinions about the model are welcome.

Thanks,

Brad

:ph34r: Hey there:

I'd build their "iron" chrom version some time ago. Pretty cool kit and well thought out transformation. But as all plastic transformable kits are, they are just too fragile and are not meant to be "played" with much.

As for the proportion of the kit, it feels "overweight" or chunky especially in robotic mode. Jet mode is better but nothing like Yamato creations.

So that's all.

The 1/48 Imai model was a compromise of all three modes, and a poor one at that. About the only mode it looks decent in is Armo-Diver... Soldier mode is chunky and as the model design is twenty-odd years-old, its poseability also suffers somewhat.

The 1/72 non-variable models are more nicely proportioned, and with a little kit-bashing & scratchbuilding, you can turn those into a variable model (the 3 in 1 box set is recommended). The ideal would be a 1/32 model. Maybe someone will make one someday :rolleyes:

MW member Jung did a nice job on one not to long ago...though he did have to mod it a lot. I can't find the pictures though...they used to be on RobsThingies...but not any longer...I think I saved them somewhere...anyways...you might consider PM'ing him for advice. In general, Captain America knows far more about the Legioss then...well...anyone. The original design doesn't really work...the scale, the adjustments...well ...its just off. IMAI didn't try and fix it, so their resultant model isn't ideal. I agree, the 1/72s are the most accurate...and the 1/72 Legioss and Tread resin is a nice little kit. I always thought I might try and make a go of building the 1/48 in single mode, and modifying it to maximize that mode...but that would be a ton of work... (though I would think similar to the amount of work in making the 1/72 variable) The answer is defiinitly a 1/32 scale...but someone needs to have a frank discussion with Harmony Gold to make that a reality! :)

Scene...something out of the Godfather.... "In understand you have not been helpful to one of the MacrossWorld family...thats a real shame... "

:D:huh:

The ideal would be a 1/32 model. Maybe someone will make one someday :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. But whoever that someone is :rolleyes: better know the the best Legioss NEEDS the best Tread to link up with. See what Stick is reduced to now that he's missing his partner.

I couldn't agree more. But whoever that someone is :rolleyes: better know the the best Legioss NEEDS the best Tread to link up with. See what Stick is reduced to now that he's missing his partner.

Yeah, it's too bad we an't get our hands on a 1:32 scale legioss. Rohby and I are almost done with our Mospeada recast project that would go well with it. :(

post-26-1077487318_thumb.jpg

Not to derail the thread...but check this out (part of that same model builders web site):

http://www.dsnw.ne.jp/~comet/model/l-mk2.html

:blink:

Sorry I'm a big Nagano and L-Gaim fan... the L-Gaim mk 2 is one of my favorite mecha designs of all time...that link is to a fairly strait from the box build of the Bandai 1/100 kit of it ... a really cool kit with metal joint pieces for the inner workings of the chest and all of the inner mechanical parts under the armor as seen in the last few sets of pics (sort of a glue together master grade kit before Bandai introduced the line)...I've got 2 of these kits (and four of the same mech in 1/144 scale...more kits of the same mech then any other in my model collection)...Now, I just need to find the time to build them :rolleyes:

Those mini-cyclones are cool!

Where'd you get the base for 'em?

They're actually vending machine prizes. I got the Rei's from a bowling alley vending machine about 15yrs ago. And the Bartley model was donated by a member from the old boards. I'm not sure if hes signed up in the new boards but we kept int ouch thru e-mail. (Thanks Rich!)

The kit really doesn't look that good in fighter mode.

In what way? It looks close to the line art to me in fighter.

The wing chord is waaay too short, and the feet stick-out quite far at the rear.... And that's just for starters <_<

The way all the wings & sections mate to each-other is also quite atrocious: horrendously-huge hinge points for the shoulder sensor pod cover and the wing-fold mechanism; not to mention the open-air chasm directly behind the sensor-pod cover plate. There are definitely ways to correct these issues, just as there are ways of addressing the issue of the chunky legs on the model, but they all involve considerable amounts of scratch-building which I'm sure very few people are comfortable with.

In all, you'll never get a perfect variable, as the original animation line-art is itself flawed; showing different proportions for the same parts in its different modes. If a nice-looking Legioss fighter is what you seek, the Imai 1/72 model is just about your only option.

Here's something that I did 2 years ago. The kit was from the transformable 1/48 Monogram Leader 1.

I have to use quite a lot of polyesthene glue to make sure all the parts stick to one another, and it is still FLOPPY <_< .

The only section that I hate from the kit is the shoulder armor section since I can not complete that part :blink:

MONOGRAM LEGIOSS

Edited by rnurmin