Making the Monster

Less than Super Ostrich

SMT said on their website that they are going to build the Monster... I think it was scratchbuiilt by Gundamhead... is that correct? Anyway, I can say that I will be first in line to buy this thing. Thanks SMT!!!

Quote from SMT website - News section

"In other news the Destroid Monster kit is a go and will be up for pre-order very soon. "

So how big is this gonna be?

I think 1/100. LOTS 'O Resin

In comparison to size, is it gonna be as big as a home desktop printer?

nah, at 1/100th scale its gonna be fairly small. If its true to scale its going to be 8.844" tall, 16.181" long, 3.84" wide. maybe the size of a very small personal printer.

WOW! Thanks for the interest! Well let me clear a few things first of all. Alfred Wong did not create this model. I did, my name is Joe Belding, but I run around as 'Gundamhead' on a couple of sites. I made the most accurate Monster model to date in my opinion.

Your dimensions are nearly spot on. My model is 16.15" long (not including the engine plate) and 10.15" tall to the very top of it's rear humps. Most pictures of the Monster have him positioned in a semi-squat, mine is standing. He's about 4" acrossif you don't count the arms, with the arms he's 10.5" wide. Certainly not a small model.

The model shown is a model I made, molded, and cast for myself. It is solid and a ton of resin. That model weighs about 5.5 lbs. I took these newer pictures with the 1/100 Macross Factory, a 1/100 Destroid Defender, a couple of 1/100 figures, a 18" steel ruler, and a 1/55 bootleg Valkyrie toy. I hope you will be able to get a good idea of the model's size in 1/100. It is big.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zaku2ace/...u2ace/my_photos

I sent SMT the master of this this kit. If I remember it's about 53 parts. I sent a decal sheet that included several nose arts. I included a fictional history sheet for all those nose arts. I included instructions.

Now I do not know if SMT will offer all of those things, but I really hope they will. They were fun, and in my opinion gives the model a bit of personality. I do not know anything more than anybody else what SMT has planned or how much they plan to ask. I do not know if it will be solid. Your best source for info is to contact SMT.

Edited by Gundamhead

Trust me, I've been a customer of SMT for a while and an admirer of GH for just about as long. This will be a great kit. Contact Colin (SMT) and let him know about potential kits, he's a super nice guy and always finds time to reply. Gundamhead and Alfred Wong designing for SMT, life is good.

Lonnie

WOW! Thanks for the interest! Well let me clear a few things first of all. Alfred Wong did not create this model. I did, my name is Joe Belding, but I run around as 'Gundamhead' on a couple of sites. I made the most accurate Monster model to date in my opinion.

Your dimensions are nearly spot on. My model is 16.15" long (not including the engine plate) and 10.15" tall to the very top of it's rear humps. Most pictures of the Monster have him positioned in a semi-squat, mine is standing. He's about 4" acrossif you don't count the arms, with the arms he's 10.5" wide. Certainly not a small model.

The model shown is a model I made, molded, and cast for myself. It is solid and a ton of resin. That model weighs about 5.5 lbs. I took these newer pictures with the 1/100 Macross Factory, a 1/100 Destroid Defender, a couple of 1/100 figures, a 18" steel ruler, and a 1/55 bootleg Valkyrie toy. I hope you will be able to get a good idea of the model's size in 1/100. It is big.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zaku2ace/...u2ace/my_photos

I sent SMT the master of this this kit. If I remember it's about 53 parts. I sent a decal sheet that included several nose arts. I included a fictional history sheet for all those nose arts. I included instructions.

Now I do not know if SMT will offer all of those things, but I really hope they will. They were fun, and in my opinion gives the model a bit of personality. I do not know anything more than anybody else what SMT has planned or how much they plan to ask. I do not know if it will be solid. Your best source for info is to contact SMT.

:drool: I love the detail... the pic with the Monster's Foot and the 1/100th person is priceless

keep up the good work ;)

I always thought it was sort of chunky and plain.

SMT said on their website that they are going to build the Monster... I think it was scratchbuiilt by Gundamhead... is that correct? Anyway, I can say that I will be first in line to buy this thing. Thanks SMT!!!

Quote from SMT website - News section

"In other news the Destroid Monster kit is a go and will be up for pre-order very soon. "

..."Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!"

:D Great news!!

And kudos to Gundamhead for sculpting such a nice model!

Melissa

Excellent work all around. GH... you the man. I hope you get a lil' something something for the effort. I've heard nothing but great things about Collin at SMT as well.

And what was that comment about 1/100 scale being too small? Too funny. I don't think you really know how much resin that will actually be!!

Excellent work all around. GH... you the man. I hope you get a lil' something something for the effort. I've heard nothing but great things about Collin at SMT as well.

And what was that comment about 1/100 scale being too small? Too funny. I don't think you really know how much resin that will actually be!!

a Whole LOT of resin... but "ME SOUTHCROSS! ME WANT BIGGER!! :beat chest:" :D

a Whole LOT of resin... but "ME SOUTHCROSS! ME WANT BIGGER!! :beat chest:" :D

Calm down caveman Southcross! Calm down! :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share this response i got with everyone else....

"Hello, thanks for the interest in our kit (pictures will be up this week). Price is not set yet, but expect around the $150.00 USD range."

Sincerely, Colin Omilusik

Scale Model Technologies

www.smt.theshoppe.com

Hopefully all of this will happen soon maybe enough orders will come in to lower the price or at least not have it go up drastically.

• 3 weeks later...

No news yet, apparently. :(

I checked the website again this morning, and unless it is a typo, the last update posted is from (13) months ago.

"Latest News and Press Releases

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

Update for March 2003."

According the most recent e-mail from (1) month ago, pictures should have been up by now, but I didn't see them.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Man. I'm getting a little frustrated. I was hoping this thing would be ready by now. However, I guesss a couple weeks late is nothing compared to the "Tanmen fiasco".

Don't worry. Stay patient.

ok, hmm, the brute is close, lets see if we can seal the deal...

Will the arms/cannons be poseable? I can deal with the legs being in a fixed position, they have alot of weight to hold up :)

How many parts are we talking about here? main body, cannons, arms, legs?

Plus, this will be my first resin kit, so I am a newb on painting resin...