Will Hlj?

seventh-moon

HLJ was definitely willing to be the middleman when my first 1/48 VF-1A arrived without any hands. All I did was e-mail their customer service and refer to the parts as labelled in the instruction booklet for the Valkyrie. It took about 6 weeks all total. They would probably charge for replacing a broken part if it was not broken when you received it. If you can't fix it yourself, it couldn't hurt to drop them a line and ask.

wow, that piece definitely looks tough to fix.

my suggestion is........wait till Sebastian goes home to take a look at his valk, and tell you the same thing. :p

but seriously, doesn't look like any type of simple glueing will solve that problem. you may be able to reinforce the two broken halves with cut piece of styrene. but if you do a lot of transformation, I don't think it'll hold up too well.

wow, that piece definitely looks tough to fix.

my suggestion is........wait till Sebastian goes home to take a look at his valk, and tell you the same thing. :p

That´s It!

I will take my revenge as soon as you get off the plane! :angry:

Ho yes! I am a very Dangerous and Evil person! Muaaa Ha Ha.

And the BEST part is I just checked my 1/48 and I have a solution!

Buy a new one. LOL

You cant use super glue on it and also cant insert metal pegs because drilling the parts of the ABS will weak the plastic and it will end broked again. I though maybe that was a possible way, but no the piece is just to flimsy.

Guess you will need to make a new piece... sorry, but D was right as usual, I cant help at all. :(

But on the other hand to sculp a new spare part from ABS is really easy, you should try it. I had fixed a lot of toys in that way. You will need a dremel.

HJL should have been able to take care of that if you ship the Valk back to them since it was new . They can replace it for you through Yamato.

I think you have to cover at least one way or both ways shipping costs though.

Good luck!

Edited by Neova

Hmm....first time ever I've seen that part break on a 1/48, strange! Need to check is it actually screwed or rivited in place as well. If it's rivited in place, you'd probably need to get a whole replacement backplate assembly.

I wish people would stop calling the 1/48s fragile though. IMO, they are pretty tough toys, with the exception of part # BP8, which even I admit is too fragile and needs to be handled with care.

The only parts I've ever heard of breaking on a 1/48 are several backpack hinges (part #BP8), a couple of head lasers, but that's usually through carelessness and I think on one or two occasions the canopy hinge. But considering the total quantities produced, there has been little to complain about generally.

Still, it does suck though when something does break on such an expensive toy.

Graham

if you're going to glue it:

go to an autoparts store, get JB weld, it takes a night to dry but when it does its hard like a rock and strong as all hell.

**edit**

practice on something first, its a little difficult to use, but its good stuff.

good luck.

Edited by KingNor

I am quite amazed that so many guys broke parts of their 1/48 ( and so sorry too).

I have carefully transformed each of mine a couple of times (all the 7), put and remove super parts and i still have no broken parts to report. I take my time to transform a 1/48 and never force any part during transformation IMO it is the only way to transform such a toy.

The 1st time i transform 1S from Fighter to Battroid it took me something like 20 minutes to proceed carefully through each steps.

Don't know if it's possible, but can you sand down the flat underside a bit... so it's a little thinner and put the pieces together and use a thin strip of metal for a brace? Like a thin strip of metal on the underside where you would have sanded it down, only you are using it to hold the broken piece together (with glue of course). Basically putting the 2 pieces together onto a thin metal plate and gluing it.

i didnt buy it with hlj. is that a problem?

I would say you should talk to whoever you purchased the Valkyrie from and see if they can help you out.

I don't know about HJL's parts service but it not easy (nearly impossible) to get parts alone. Its much easier to replace the whole Valkyrie though.

Good luck!

KingNor's suggestion is great. JB weld is REALLY tough. Welded a lock to a metal door with 2 tap rivets and that thing is rock solid, even with hard use. Without the JB weld, the lock would eventually wear the rivets loose and need replacement.

If my valk break at that point, i will build a new piece out of aluminium sheet. I'm sure it's possible to do something correct and easily. If you look closely, you can see it can be thicker than the 2 mm near the arm hinge which allows the holes for the axe of the arm. Where can you fond aluminium? I don't know. try to look around your house for material. Then build.

Then nobody will notice that it's custom made because it's under the valk in fighter/gerwalk mod or inside in battroid mod.

[EDIT] LOL I found a piece of aluminium that would be PERFECT for this surgery in less than 2 minutes. The holes for the hinge may be difficulte to drill, i admit, but with patience and good tools it's possible.

Edited by Göönk

JB Weld sounds like a good try. You also may wanna try Metalset A-4

According to the description, this is the strongest epoxy they have found for reel seats, gimbals, butts and ferrules :D

Over 3000 psi tensile strength!!!!

Comes in tubes for easy mixing. Sets in 1-2 hours.

a 6oz tube cost you $ 9.50.

http://www.mudhole.com/docs/epoxy.html

hope this can help you :

no too difficult method

but must buy some tools

1.)buy modeling drill , which can use a very little drill head for thin prastic broad

2.)buy some thin metal rod

the most difficult part is drill the very accurate grip for each little hold

between the two parts

I suggest use a ruler and ink pen to mark the grip first

than drill it carefully

than use the metal rod to join the two parts

don't forget to use the super glue ~

here is some demo pic for you

I think this method is suitable for your case

(and sorry for my poor english )

post-4-1077256037_thumb.jpg

Edited by 柿崎速雄

It looks like you might be crap out of luck if you have never modded anything in your life, but if you have used hand tools, you will be able to get through this.

Drill and pin. It looks like that part leaves just about enough room for a pin. Drill and pin it, then use superglue to join the pieces. Just make sure they match.

If you have a hobby shop nearby, you can also buy some aluminum sheet, which you can cut and shape into that part. All you have to do is drill holes for the screw to go into.

sorry to hear that just before I got my first 1/48 Yammie...

must to handle with 200% careness... :blink:

I've got a Tamiya 1/100 A-7 Corsair II without canopy from HLJ last week, after wrote to them, HLJ staff has contacted Tamiya for me, the parts is said to be on its way to me today, take no charge, nice service!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Do what you said and what everyone has suggested, call HLJ or e-mail them and explain the situation. If you e-mail them, show them the pictures. They seem to be very understanding and hopefully you'll get a replacement of the whole craft. If that doesn't work, then move on to the next step which is to try to repair it yourself with the suggestions that everyone has offered you or purchase another fighter. Take the damaged fighter and sell it for parts and maybe you can make a profit or break even. Or you could always keep the damaged fighter and save it as your spare parts just in case the backpack hindge breaks (which is common) or any other part breaks off. Since Yamato isn't dealing with overseas customers in replacing parts, this might be your best back up to have for spare parts. Btw, just as a suggestion, I have bought 1/48s at BigBadToyStore.com here in the states and have had good success with them. I haven't checked prices lately and compared them to HLJ but they are roughly about the same. the plus side of getting a new valk in the states is that if there is something wrong again, it might be quicker and easier to deal with exchanging and shipping costs. Look at their policies. some offer free shipping if something is damaged when you send it back to them. Basically no cost to you. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Edited by vf-24