NOW and THEN, HERE and THERE

KingNor

i'm in the middle of this serise, what do you guys think of it? i'm having a little trouble figureing it out, there's alot of heavy stuff going on, i'm hopeing it all wraps up in the last disc (watching it today)

I've only seen the first half of the series - I bought it thinking it was something else, go figure! - and it was rather odd as a viewing experience. I think the only way I can put it is "Final Fantasy meets Platoon". The style of the animation doesn't quite seem to fit in with the mood, and I found it very hard to like a number of the characters, especially after what happened to the Sara.

The army as depicted would appear to be an analogy for the Japanese "advance" - <_< - into China in the 30s as well...

Its different, definitely different, and I would like to see how it ends sometime, but not really my cup of tea in the end...

OTOH, I didn't think anyone would ever top Dilandau from Escaflowne as an utter nutcase of a villain. Then I saw Hamdo... :o

Probably one of the roughest shows I've seen in regards to what they put the characters through, especially at their ages.

Intriging though, and somehow I was drawn to finish watching it.

Haven't bought it yet, but watched it on AXN during my year in Korea.

Probably one of the roughest shows I've seen in regards to what they put the characters through, especially at their ages.

exactly what i was thinking, i think i liked it though, its one of those shows that its hard to say "i like it" because all it is is a bunch of horrible crap happening to kids.

i thought the world they'd gone to seemed a bit flat though, probably because about half way though i wached Castle in the Sky (wich kinda knocked my socks off)

what i iddn't understand about Now & Then were the comical fight sequences and especially the intro episode where they seem to try to give the impression the show is going to be kinda silly.

maybe they were trying not to glorify the fighting, just seemed like any time Shu got in a fight it meant he'd get a rediculous ass beating. as bad as it was it was even hard not to chuckle a bit when he's fighting sara in the water cave (and THAT was some heavy story telling, sheesh)

good stuff though, i liked the mecha too even though they only played really a significant role in the first episode.

Brutal, brutal show... it's one of those shows you probably ought to see once, but it's also one of those shows you probably won't want to watch often... I find it tremendously emotionally draining.

It's about as honest as they come, though... but the girl getting... well, watch it, you'll see. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.