Macross Plus Movie

Mr March

I don't think there ever was an official release with dubbing of the movie version. The reason I heard was because of all the added material in the movie edition. There were several scenes in the movie that weren't in the OAV at all, added in to enhance the storyline. The problem came when they couldn't get the OAV dubbing voice actors back to dub the new scenes in the movie. Dunno why, but they couldn't. So they decided to leave the whole movie subbed, rather than have brief interludes of subtitling in the added scenes.

Manga will never put forth the extra effort to produce a dub for the movie version. At one point they mentioned it as a possibility, but now they don't speak of it. Hell, Mangle didn't even bother to use soft subs on the dvd release of the movie.

How could translation problems mess up the dub when they were perfectly (?) able to produce a translation for subtitling?

Not that I really care...I always watch subs if available. (Exception--when I was watching the first disk of Evangelion, I decided it just wasn't worth the effort to read subtitles.) But it sure would be nice if the subs weren't hardcoded and the image transfer was better.

How could translation problems mess up the dub when they were perfectly (?) able to produce a translation for subtitling?

Not that I really care...I always watch subs if available. (Exception--when I was watching the first disk of Evangelion, I decided it just wasn't worth the effort to read subtitles.) But it sure would be nice if the subs weren't hardcoded and the image transfer was better.

:shrug: really don't know, guess it might have to do with the changed "plot/story" for the Movie. Maybe lack of expected interest in the Dubbed movie.. I just remember reading something about how "they gave up dubbing the movie while doing the footage from the 3rd OVA"

Edited by Southcross

Macross Plus don't need no stinking dub!

But if it did get dubbing than it would most likely get DVD quality video and audio, and that's all I care about. Like adding a cherry on top of a sundae (sp?).

:wild applause: I hear that :)

Macross Plus don't need no stinking dub!

But if it did get dubbing than it would most likely get DVD quality video and audio, and that's all I care about. Like adding a cherry on top of a sundae (sp?).

:::looks at just as crappy a video encode copy of Macross II DVD on shelf:::

Nope, it would still be a VHS dump, and still look like crap. Hell, Honeamise had a dub too, and also looked like crap.

:::looks at just as crappy a video encode copy of Macross II DVD on shelf:::

Nope, it would still be a VHS dump, and still look like crap. Hell, Honeamise had a dub too, and also looked like crap.

Considering Manga...Yeah, they could make a dub and still make the encoding from a VHS dump.

I saw a rumor on another website that stated there was an "international" version of Macross Plus Movie Edition released in Japan that features an english dubbing. Is this true or just another net legend?

No, there was never a Movie Edition International Version release in Japan per se.

However, there WAS an International Version release of the OVA series in Japan, which was basically the Manga dub with Japanese subtitles. Except none of that matters now because that was back in the LD/VHS days.

I saw a rumor on another website that stated there was an "international" version of Macross Plus Movie Edition released in Japan that features an english dubbing.  Is this true or just another net legend?

No, there was never a Movie Edition International Version release in Japan per se.

However, there WAS an International Version release of the OVA series in Japan, which was basically the Manga dub with Japanese subtitles. Except none of that matters now because that was back in the LD/VHS days.

The R2 Macross Plus OVA DVDs have both English and Japanese audio. Japanese subs.

The Bandai/Emotion R2 Macross Plus movie Edition DVD is pretty good. It looks a helluva alot better than mangle's piss poor VHS dump. Video is nice and clean.

No subs and no chapter search though.

Extras are just the Macross Plus game edtion trailer, Macross PlusMovie/M7 Galaxy is calling me trailer and some shots from the theater program IIRC.

I saw a rumor on another website that stated there was an "international" version of Macross Plus Movie Edition released in Japan that features an english dubbing.  Is this true or just another net legend?

Thank you for finally answering the original question Renato. I appreciate the help.

I figured it was just a net rumor, but I had to ask just the same.