VF-2JA, Macross II

sc_planet

Thanks for translating the captions @tekering. Was trying to use google translate earlier but some words were too low res for the translator to read.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:32 AM, TehPW said:

Lets make some assumptions, based on what we do know about the VF-1 (in regards to its landing gear in the leg nacelles), as well as the VF-2SS (which does have line art including landing gear)

1) the Gears on its mains probably deploy the same way (and direction) as the VF-1 

2) Look closely in the picture provided (TU for that). There is a panel line directly underside of the cockpit. Its directly underside and long enough to suggest much. I would suspect that is the hatch for the nose gear.

Also what does the Kanji say on the notice that is placed on the first underside notation (from Left to Right)?

I guess that panel line underside of cockpit is all we get as visual clue for landing gear bay door.. Too bad no lines on the legs to indicate the rear gears' doors, but then again we don't see this either in the line art for most other VFs.

55 minutes ago, MKT said:

Thanks for translating the captions @tekering. Was trying to use google translate earlier but some words were too low res for the translator to read.

I guess that panel line underside of cockpit is all we get as visual clue for landing gear bay door.. Too bad no lines on the legs to indicate the rear gears' doors, but then again we don't see this either in the line art for most other VFs.

I was looking for other images that might show any landing gear panels and other than one or two black and white line images, I could only find that little panel for the front. The color pictures of the underside didn’t even show the front panel 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:50 PM, sc_planet said:

This is a 1/72 VF-2JA resin.  I think it should be a WF kit back to 2013.  

This took me almost 1 year to finish especially due to the horrible holes on the surface.  

Hope to finish another project in 2 months.    

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 8 .jpg

Photo 9.jpeg

Photo 10.JPG

Photo 11 copy.jpg

Photo 12 copy.jpeg

Hey, nice job, that looks like it was a difficult kit to work with. Nicely done.

On 3/24/2024 at 2:17 PM, twich said:

It is unfortunate that this wonderful design has not seen a transforming toy, even a Hi Metal R would be wonderful! Great job with the kit and paint job!

Twich

It looks to me like there’s a heavy dose of anime magic used in the transformation concept, as shown the Macross Mecha Manual line art. If you look at the Color Code Transformation Guide on that page, the yellow parts of the “back” with the pink vertical stabilizers just sort of fold away and disappear in Battroid mode. I don’t think there would be a practical way to replicate that in toy form. I love the elegant look of this design, but I think it uses a lot more creative license than the VF-1.

This is a fantastic model and a great job of cleaning up what was clearly a challenging resin kit! I love the color scheme, and great photos too!

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

On 3/23/2024 at 11:13 PM, TehPW said:

nice work...

Now to nitpick.

The first thing i see that might be/should be wrong is the size and placement of the Jet Intake warning. Unless it would be common for that inlet cover to be at a higher angle when on the ground, the markings should extend along the outside of the inlet covers in some manner along each edge, merging at the front of the plate (see PIC #2's angle).

The second thing is that there should be No Step markings on the UNDERSIDE of the wings as well (because the JA's wings are hydraulically hinged to flex in both directions when in Gerwalk mode)

Third? No 03 high on the tail (because when you are an AD working in Power Plants WC in a futuristic Fighter Squadron and Maintenance Control sends you out to do a 30-day inspection on those Inlet Covers, MC would have told you Modex # 03, so you're looking at the highest point on each aircraft, to make sure you are working on the CORRECT fighter)

were there any pics of either fighter, on the ground and idle, in Macross II: LA?

Jesus, I can just imagine what the 30 day inspections would be like on a variable fighter... i bet they had "daily" doors in really inconvenient places.

It's a swing-wing... I wonder if the brown  shirts feared the dreaded flap/slat lockout that the tomcat guys did when their pilot was too hot of a hand.

Chief: "Don't make any plans... Lt. Hotshot over-Ged and now the flaps won't retract."

Petty Officer Hardworker: "God @#$it..."

Chief: "Better shag it. ATO says this one sorties at 0800."

(Petty Officer hardworker cancels his date with the 2-10-2 down in egress and spends the evening working on the slats and flaps...Then the bird canxd the next morning anyway for a down radar... Petty Officer Hardworker wonders if its too late to take that transfer to ordnance)

One of the single most frustrating things about Macross II is the lack of really good, clear footage of all the designs either static OR in action... so no footage of any of the valkyries in a parked fashion on the ground.

Edited by Skull Leader

On 4/16/2024 at 6:32 PM, Firefox21 said:

Sorry Mr Kawamori.

Just for clarification, Macross II had nothing to do with either Shoji Kawamori or Studio Nue.  Mecha designs were by Koichi Ohata.

19 minutes ago, tekering said:

Just for clarification, Macross II had nothing to do with either Shoji Kawamori or Studio Nue.  Mecha designs were by Koichi Ohata.

I think that’s why he said sorry, as in he felt guilty for liking the non Kawamori stuff more than his designs other than the vf-1