Space Destroyer

Aurel Tristen

I always liked the SDDD, though, I always felt it was slightly underarmed as far as beam weaponary goes. It's a very large ship for comparatively small armament. Also, I think the size of its retro-thrusters are unusual.

Of course, this design was the inspiration for Studio Kappa's Calliara-SDDD, to which I added some DYRL flavour.

It's too bad this ship didn't see more air time.

I'm interested in the more obscure macross mecha.

Nanashi, don't forget to update you main link page.

Although it's a nifty design, the simple fact that you have to manuever the WHOLE ship in order to fire it's guns at a target is kind of old-school. Like "Sails and Rigging" old-school.

Is this why, IIRC, none survived? It seems to me that that strategy would be at a great disadvantage, and unnecessarily. Not only that, but it doesn't seem to have any anti-aircraft/fighter weapons, which would leave it more or less a sitting duck against that sort of attack.

Overall, I like the look of it, but the description doesn't make it sound very functional or effective to me. Little more than a space anti-capital ship artillery piece.

Oh, how far they have come :)

2005:  Goddard:  Used tactical reactive weapons for the first time in combat against the Tsiolkovsky (Destroying it).  Ship Captain: Bruno J. Global

2005:  Tsiolkovsky:  Hijacked by Anti  U.N. Forces and later destroyed by the Goddard.

That's certainly interesting. =D

Perhaps we'd see this in Macross Zero, I'd sure like to. What year are we in Macross Zero currently?

Edited by mbs357

I always liked the SDDD, though, I always felt it was slightly underarmed as far as beam weaponary goes. It's a very large ship for comparatively small armament. Also, I think the size of its retro-thrusters are unusual.

Of course, this design was the inspiration for Studio Kappa's Calliara-SDDD, to which I added some DYRL flavour.

It's too bad this ship didn't see more air time.

I'm interested in the more obscure macross mecha.

Nanashi, don't forget to update you main link page.

Now Lestat, 'SDDD' (Super Dimension Destroyer) is a Studio Kappa-created designation for the our original Calliara (which you designed). The original Space Destroyer did not have a fold drive. Nor, was the vessel ever officially given a designation type. Probably DD though. If you followed MAT's method.... SCV for the ARMDs -- maybe it could be SDD. But those aren't official so its just Space Destroyer.

Although it's a nifty design, the simple fact that you have to manuever the WHOLE ship in order to fire it's guns at a target is kind of old-school. Like "Sails and Rigging" old-school.

This was probably, if not the first, one of the earliest U.N. SPACY space warships so of course its going to operate under a simple method. Though, the larger-bore beam guns appear they may be semi-fixed/aimable.

Look at the simple formula that the SF-3A Lancer II space fighters use:

See: http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat.../aero/sf3a.html

They simply launch at high rate of speed and carry out their attack before/during a blow-pass maneuver then wait to be picked up by the mothership. Of course it makes sense, they are designed to be fast attack-fighters

Is this why, IIRC, none survived? It seems to me that that strategy would be at a great disadvantage, and unnecessarily. Not only that, but it doesn't seem to have any anti-aircraft/fighter weapons, which would leave it more or less a sitting duck against that sort of attack.

Overall, I like the look of it, but the description doesn't make it sound very functional or effective to me. Little more than a space anti-capital ship artillery piece.

I think its more that none or few survived because there were nearly 5 million Zjentohlauedy warships firing at the Earth and the destroyers were in front of the target. ^^;

In response to my last post: Looks like we won't see it, according to Nanashi's site (I clicked the VF-0S reactive armor):

A VF-0S equipped with Reactive Armor deployed aboard the Asuka II (CVN-99) in actual combat during a secret program near the island(s) of Mayan in the year 2008.

Sooo, looks like we wont see a captain Global in Zero wiping out AUN forces in space. =p

I think its more that none or few survived because there were nearly 5 million Zjentohlauedy warships firing at the Earth and the destroyers were in front of the target. ^^;

That'd do it, huh? =p

Edited by mbs357

Sooo, looks like we wont see a captain Global in Zero wiping out AUN forces in space. =p

I wouldn't be surprised if it is at least alluded to at some point. Even the possibility that the SV-51's are somehow involved in the hijacking of the Tsiolkovsky.

As to the weapons, it works if the ship is designed for an anti-capital ship mission, since those things are expected to take place at long ranges and every will have plenty of time to manuever into position. But to have a limited amount of armament against smaller craft is just silly, even for the fictional world of Macross. The VF series itself was implemented in the expectation of having to fight it out with the giant-sized aliens hinted at on the ASS-1. Why wouldn't one also assume that those same aliens will have a fast and nimble fighter as well?

A lot of ideas Studio Nue comes up with are pretty neat-o. But this one is generic and a little naive to state the least.

Not that I don't like it. But overall the concept, not the physical design, could've used some work.

Edited by the white drew carey

I wouldn't be surprised if it is at least alluded to at some point. Even the possibility that the SV-51's are somehow involved in the hijacking of the Tsiolkovsky.

As to the weapons, it works if the ship is designed for an anti-capital ship mission, since those things are expected to take place at long ranges and every will have plenty of time to manuever into position. But to have a limited amount of armament against smaller craft is just silly, even for the fictional world of Macross. The VF series itself was implemented in the expectation of having to fight it out with the giant-sized aliens hinted at on the ASS-1. Why wouldn't one also assume that those same aliens will have a fast and nimble fighter as well?

A lot of ideas Studio Nue comes up with are pretty neat-o. But this one is generic and a little naive to state the least.

Not that I don't like it. But overall the concept, not the physical design, could've used some work.

yeah, but the Tiz was hijacked by the anti-UN in 2005, MZero takes place in 2008.

Yea, I mean to include in my last post something like "unless it were in the form of a flashback"

It does sound rather important, almost too important not to be mentioned.

I know it was commissioned in 2005, but I didn't think it was also hijacked then as well.

It says it was destroyed Setpember of 2005.

Edited by mbs357

It says it was destroyed Setpember of 2005.

I already said I'm lame!!! DO YOU WANT ME TO COMMIT SEPPUKU?!?

...sorry, it was just gas.

Of course, since M-Zero itself is a classified story, maybe... just maybe the Tiz wasn't destroyed in 2005, but it was simply reported to the public that it was to quell public fears that the UN couldn't keep track of it's own fleet...

OK, I'm really reaching here...

yeah, but the Tiz was hijacked by the anti-UN in 2005, MZero takes place in 2008.

I know it was commissioned in 2005, but I didn't think it was also hijacked then as well.

I'm lame. :huh:

Nanishes site says it was destroyed 09/2005.

And I don't think you are lame.

I'm sure most were thought out and there is reasoning behind them.

The Variable Fighter/Battroid complex was developed based upon data gather from the ASS-1. Who knows, how much OTEC found about the Zjentohlauedy aboard the Supervision ship.... including the bird-leg formula pod mecha which used a gravity control control system.

Good point :) I'm sure there wasn't much they could do with the technology of that era (or any era, I suppose) to enable their small numbers to take on 5 million...

If they found the scimatics of the Zjentohlauedy ship, don't you think they would know about the Zjentohlauedy in general?

I think all the assumptions in construction surrounding things from the ASS-1 come from what they found on the ship itself, not in it's computers. They knew about 'a race of giants' through the obvious big hallways in the construction. There's no mention of any Zjentohlauedy mecha aboard, nor if any ship designs were recovered. They were expecting giant aliens, but not specifically the Zjentohlauedy.

But the door on the back and underside of the destroyer reminds me of the trapdoor found on the Zjent. command cruiser...

I wonder why they didn't refine the design and make more of these. It looks like it would be an excelent DDG/Picket design for larger fleets. Just increase the missile playload and maybe replace some of the beam weapons with turret mounts. (And of course, add a fold engine...)

EDIT: I wonder...if the ASS was a Supervision army design didn't they find any supervision army mecha inside the ship? Maybe that's where the VF-0 comes from...

Edited by Boxer

Good point :) I'm sure there wasn't much they could do with the technology of that era (or any era, I suppose) to enable their small numbers to take on 5 million...

Well, the captain of one could've gone super-saiyan and jumped out the airlock and punched Bodolzaa in the face, but other than that...

Okay, ending the idiocy...

Well, the captain of one could've gone super-saiyan and jumped out the airlock and punched Bodolzaa in the face, but other than that...

Okay, ending the idiocy...

Sure the captain would have died, but what a way to go! :)

w00t melodrama!

• 4 weeks later...

This was probably, if not the first, one of the earliest U.N. SPACY space warships so of course its going to operate under a simple method. Though, the larger-bore beam guns appear they may be semi-fixed/aimable.

Look at the simple formula that the SF-3A Lancer II space fighters use:

See: http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat.../aero/sf3a.html

They simply launch at high rate of speed and carry out their attack before/during a blow-pass maneuver then wait to be picked up by the mothership. Of course it makes sense, they are designed to be fast attack-fighters

The description above is not official Macross information from the creators. It is derived from a series of doujinshi written by the Macross Attack Team ("Multi-Configulation Analysis Team"). They have since distanced themselves from their unofficial work.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/ships/oberth/

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...pace_craft/sf3/