Out of hand signatures

As if the BIG WORDS signatures weren't bad enough, we now have people posting their frigging life stories in this sigs. Someone actually has their entire Macross toy collection listed. I want to read posts, not long winded sigs that take up half of the page. Can we have some sort of parameters set for these?

And no, I don't want to turn all sigs off. I enjoy some of them.

Agreed. I turned off sigs because of this. Makes using MW much smoother, but I'd prefer not to have to do it.

I'd like it if sigs had a max font size no larger than "normal", or preferably "smal"l. And frankly, the fewer font options allowed for sigs, the better. And I'd limit the length to 300-400 characters--i.e., about three lines' worth.

this is why i made my sig smaller..... it used to be really huge, even before i put my "'X' number of days to go" sig up, i just thought that it was probably annoying people so i made it smaller.

Take Oihan, for instance. Need it be this big? Does he have to list his MW member number it in, when it is already shown under his avatar (he's actually #636, BTW)? Does he really need to use the words "High as frakk (on Macross II $$$)"?

We need some standards here.

--------------------

Oyan -Macross II 0wnz!

- Silvie Gena can 0wn me any day! $$$ =D

- High as frakk (on Macross II $$$)!!!

---

A Macross, Robotech (TMS), Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, South Park, The Transformers, Rurouni Kenshin, InuYasha, The Family Guy, Lord of the Rings, Alf, and Anime Otaku!

---

MW Member #307

Agreed. I turned off sigs because of this. Makes using MW much smoother, but I'd prefer not to have to do it.

And in case you kids don't know how to do it:

My Controls->Board Settings->Do you wish to view members signatures when reading threads? (change it to NO)

Problem solved.

Yeah, sigs that take up a third to almost half the display are kind of excessive.

I think I saw some loser around here with his entire toy collection in his sig. It took up more than half of my browser window maximized @ 1024 x 768.

Looks like the system is "grandfathering" existing signatures. That seems okay...attrition will probably handle the bulk of the work, leaving the powers that be to decide if they want to deal with egregious offenders.

But is the new limit going a bit too far in the other direction? It seems that the limit is 50 characters in my control panel.

Edited by ewilen

Take Oihan, for instance. Need it be this big? Does he have to list his MW member number it in, when it is already shown under his avatar (he's actually #636, BTW)? Does he really need to use the words "High as frakk (on Macross II $$$)"?

We need some standards here.

--------------------

Oyan -Macross II 0wnz!

- Silvie Gena can 0wn me any day! $$$ =D

- High as frakk (on Macross II $$$)!!!

---

A Macross, Robotech (TMS), Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, South Park, The Transformers, Rurouni Kenshin, InuYasha, The Family Guy, Lord of the Rings, Alf, and Anime Otaku!

---

MW Member #307

Lol. Good God. I was #307 on the old message board. I've been on this board for the longest time... I don't want to change my sig.... My signature woudln't be so big if we had Custom Titles enabled again. The two under my Macross 0wnz used to be in my Custom Title. And I'll gladly reduce the font size in my signature...I tried doing it tonight actually, before I saw this post. But I kept getting an error message saying that my sig is too long. Now I can't even change the font size. And I sure as hell don't want to take away from it.

And since someone has already edited my sig -_- could you readjust the next two lines to line up with the first one? Like it used to be? And you can get rid of the sizes on all BUT my macross ii ownz....plz! And I'm sooooo sorry that it bothers ya Duke Togo.

It's starting to come to a point here on this message board where you can't express yourself at all. Tis bullshit I think. ...Maybe I should say bulls**t instead huh?

Edited by Oihan

I've temporarily turned sigs back on just to see how things are.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's silly to have a signature that's in bigger type and which takes up more space than a typical post. It's like driving a Mini Cooper but adding a trailer to haul a billboard around because you need more bumper sticker space.

Now, my sig is over 50 characters, so it's also over the limit. But (a) it provides some info that I think is actually useful and hopefully cuts down on the amount of "how do I?" threads, and (b) if the 50 character limit stays, I will edit it further to get it under the limit.

Erm, fifty? I have to agree, that's a bit much. I don't have huge characters in my sig. Save a small MXC quote, and news of an ALBUM (which I would remove, but I don't feel like having to kill my MXC quote to get rid of it,) I don't have...much.

I'm fine with no custom titles. I'm fine with no images in our sigs, but this is getting a little ridiculous. <_<

I DO agree with Duke on the large characters, though. That CAN get annoying, but it's hardly affecting my ability to read posts.

Back to having sigs turned off, and interestingly, it makes little difference in the number of posts that can fit on the screen. The reason: the user data on the left still stretch posts to a certain minimum vertical size. The sigs only increase the size if the post is beyond a certain length.

Big sigs really only make a difference (for me) because they're visually jarring. It should be easy to skip over sigs as you read through a thead, but when the sigs have big/colored text, the eye tends to skip over the posts and hit the sigs.