More HGUC goodness for Gundam 0080

bsu legato

Last year saw the release of the Zugok, Hygog and the (discontinued) GM cold-district in HGUC. Now HLJ is shipping the new Rick Dom II!!

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BAN923713

And next month we finally get an official kit of the Guncannon production type, the only one that doesn't look like ass IMHO.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BAN924121

It's about time that the classic mecha from 0080 gets some HG recognition. The GM Sniper is getting a B-club conversion kit and so is the Zaku FZ. Bandai had better get moving and make us some 1/144 kits of those too. Then all we need is the Alex and Kampfer and our 0080 mecha collections will be complete!

I have been supporting this 0080 HGUC line.. I got 1 Hygog, 1 Zugock-E and 2 Cold GMs.. I intend to get more, especially Guncannons and Rick Dom IIs. :)

These designs were about the best in the Gundam line, a pity the story was not so popular, although I personally felt it was one of the best.

I find most of the Gundam 0080 mecha are the properly refined versions of what most OYW mecha should have looked like.

If Zeon is comparable to Nazi Germany, then the mecha from 0080 is like the last ditch refinements to their panzers. The King Tigers, the Panther II, the E-100 etc. That's why the Zaku FZ is the ultimate evolution of the Zaku. Besides, it was the Zaku FZ kai that took out the Alex, not the Kampfer.

I also really wish for a HGUC Zaku-FZ (it`s my favorite of all Zakus) and Gundam NT-1 ALEX. I have both of them as the normal kits plus the MSIA ALEX. The FIX version of ALEX should be out this month.

FYI, I would not recommend getting the FIX ALEX unless you are a hard core 0080 fan. Some joints are flaky (the lower arms and left leg keeps dropping off), the design very plain and not like other FIXs, plastered with labels, and it doesn't come with the FA armour.

Even in its alternative mode (the Gundam Unit 4), it's only so-so. There are some good points to the FIX model, but not enough IMO.

I've noticed that HLJ lists the Rick Dom as a "retool" of the original kit. Have all the 0080 kits been retools so far? If so, how improved are they over the original kits?

The two that had retools at this point is the Hygog and the Zugock-E. In general, they have better detail, mobility and posability, but some design decisions (like the use of plastic-on-plastic joints on the Cold GM) is questionable.

In the case of the Rick Dom II, one key improvement is a waist joint. The old Rick Dom II kit didn't have a waist joint. And of course more weaponry -- the old kit only had a single bazooka.

I also really wish for a HGUC Zaku-FZ (it`s my favorite of all Zakus) and Gundam NT-1 ALEX. I have both of them as  the normal kits plus the MSIA ALEX.  The FIX version of ALEX should be out this month.

FYI, I would not recommend getting the FIX ALEX unless you are a hard core 0080 fan. Some joints are flaky (the lower arms and left leg keeps dropping off), the design very plain and not like other FIXs, plastered with labels, and it doesn't come with the FA armour.

Even in its alternative mode (the Gundam Unit 4), it's only so-so. There are some good points to the FIX model, but not enough IMO.

I would like to have it but it`s too expenssive for me, I already have an HLJ order on the way. I rather have Zaku-FZ and Gundam NT-1 in HGUC.

One more thing MSG0080 is like a curse on me one ever I watch it or listen to the OST I feel sad and my old girl friend looks like Chris a lot

Say it ain`t so Berrnie. :(

I've never understood why the Guncannons in Gundam are painted bright red.

I can acccept red mecha in Macross as it's only the Ace pilots who have the colored mecha, but the Guncannon is supposed to be a mass produced support mecha. Surely, a camoflage paint scheme of some sort (urban, jungle, desert camo etc) would make more sense.

Mind you when it comes to all things military, I've always found Gundam far less realistic than Macross.

Graham

Mind you when it comes to all things military, I've always found Gundam far less realistic than Macross.

Actually I can't understand the need for people to give these things cammo paint jobs...realisticly if these mobile suits have that minversky partical thingy happening (or whatever it's called that screws with radar and such) then even radio comunications between units would be quite difficult (if not impossable...but hey they are shown communicateing all the time in the anime :p )...anyway without an easy way for communication between mobile suits and thier upport crews...well...it becomes difficult to tell the mecha on the battlefield apart...and much like the wild coloring of world war one aircraft...the mobile suits would need some sort of marking system for support crews to identify them quickly...

anyway...our current military structures use cammo and other such methods...and clearly other armies have used it in the past too...but such armies evolved in ways that other combat methods such as knights in armor and the like were used too...the way we do things now isn't always going to be how they are done in the future...just look at military fighting uniforms...over two hundred years ago America fought off the British "redcoats" (eloborite dress uniforms)...and hundreds of years before thatyou had the romans fighting the crude in comparison "barbarians" (rough unitarian dress)...times change, as does the way wars are fought...and even if these mobile suits are massed produced they will still be quite expenseive to field...which in turn makes wars far more costly, and increases the odds that there would be a return to the old "dignified gentlemans chivelry" style of combat much like knights in armor and the like...blah! I'm rambleing :p

I also really wish for a HGUC Zaku-FZ (it`s my favorite of all Zakus) and Gundam NT-1 ALEX. I have both of them as the normal kits plus the MSIA ALEX. The FIX version of ALEX should be out this month.

The 0080 is my all time favorite from the gundam series .

Amazing designs and a greta story .

Bandai will have, in march, the HGUC for the Gelgoog J too . I just cant wait , its my favorite from that series .

But , I like a lot the zaku FZ . take a look on the model I made a couple of years ago .

http://utenti.lycos.it/gundamthebest3/twodescphotos18.html

I also really wish for a HGUC Zaku-FZ (it`s my favorite of all Zakus) and Gundam NT-1 ALEX. I have both of them as  the normal kits plus the MSIA ALEX.  The FIX version of ALEX should be out this month.

The 0080 is my all time favorite from the gundam series .

Amazing designs and a greta story .

Bandai will have, in march, the HGUC for the Gelgoog J too . I just cant wait , its my favorite from that series .

But , I like a lot the zaku FZ . take a look on the model I made a couple of years ago .

http://utenti.lycos.it/gundamthebest3/twodescphotos18.html

Great job on that Zaku, fernandofaria. I think I've seen pictures of your kit before. Possibly on Gundam.com...?

And check out this conversion of a MG Zaku!!!

post-26-1075914870_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to update anybody still following this ( there ARE still fans of 0080, right?) here's the final pics of the Gelgoog J, courtesy HLJ. Better still, they've announced the GM Command and Alex NT-1 for the HGUC lineup. All that's left is the Kampfer and Zaku FZ.

post-26-1081957428_thumb.jpg

I'll take an Alex and a Kaempfer in HGUC. The Kaempfer better come with the Chain Mine though.

Where's my bloody HG plain vanilla Gelgoog?

Which, the old school One Year War version? The Gelgoog Marine isn't too drastically retconned from that version, is it? Still, its a worthwhile question. Look how long it took until Bandai made us a true 0079 Zaku II.

Better still, they've announced the GM Command and Alex NT-1 for the HGUC lineup. All that's left is the Kampfer and Zaku FZ.

No, we still need the space-use GM Command, and the GM Sniper II, in addition to the Zaku II FZ and Kampfer.

The Gelgoog Marine isn't too drastically retconned from that version, is it?

Yes, it is, and in the same style and relation that the 08th Team Zaku II has with the MSG Zaku II.

Where's my bloody HG plain vanilla Gelgoog?

The same place your bloody HG plain vanilla Dom is at.

Just mod the thing if you're that dead set against buying a Master Grade.