1 hour ago, Big s said:

I haven’t seen any pictures of a harem, so I’m guessing the lady was keeping things on the downlow

Yeah... Somehow it seems like a "My wife's boyfriends" joke is entirely apropos here.

Edited by mechaninac

5 hours ago, Thom said:

More than likely Triton just got around.😜

Normally I would say yes, but this is Disney and they love to do the whole replacement thing these days and make the dudes seem more useless with every movie.

6 hours ago, Big s said:

Normally I would say yes, but this is Disney and they love to do the whole replacement thing these days and make the dudes seem more useless with every movie.

Well, Disney historically has had a cornerstone on Princess-centric movies, though the move away from the 'damsel in distress' syndrome has been on the decline for decades, though that is in reference to more than just Disney.

Edited by Thom

3 hours ago, Thom said:

Well, Disney historically has had a cornerstone on Princess-centric movies, though the move away from the 'damsel in distress' syndrome has been on the decline for decades, though that is in reference to more than just Disney.

The damsel in distress was a tired idea, but the replacement idea is just as bad. Wendy takes on the action in Peter Pan or Ariel kills Ursula in the remakes, or as far as the marvel stuff there little girl iron man or teen girl Hawkeye and She Hulk that’s supposedly stronger than her seemingly dumb cousin Hulk. And then there curmudgeonous Willow with every character getting replaced by their daughter or the new Indy having to deal with Flea bag and not to forget that Rey is taking the mantle as The Jedi because luke belonged in a retirement home.

there are other film and tv shows doing this, but they’re not running it into the ground as bad as Disney 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

The damsel in distress was a tired idea, but the replacement idea is just as bad. Wendy takes on the action in Peter Pan or Ariel kills Ursula in the remakes, or as far as the marvel stuff there little girl iron man or teen girl Hawkeye and She Hulk that’s supposedly stronger than her seemingly dumb cousin Hulk. And then there curmudgeonous Willow with every character getting replaced by their daughter or the new Indy having to deal with Flea bag and not to forget that Rey is taking the mantle as The Jedi because luke belonged in a retirement home.

there are other film and tv shows doing this, but they’re not running it into the ground as bad as Disney 

Modern Hollywood dogma, and Disney in particular, dictates that in order to elevate/empower female characters, they must make the male ones almost universally dumb, incompetent, morally corrupt, defeatist, insipid, or evil, then write said female characters, many times obvious self-inserts/idealized projections, like men with little to no flaws and no consequential obstacles to overcome that lead to personal growth.  Far too many times, they're already perfect and just need to realize how amazing they are, and to overthrow the shackles that limit them from achieving their awesomeness; it's such a predictable, vapid and tired trope that it's utterly one-dimensional and profoundly boring.  An absurd amount of modern writers just can't seem to be able to write women anymore; so much so that, when you do encounter one in pop cinema, it is highly refreshing.

I'm glad more and more people are rejecting this post-modern deconstructionism and pandering to "Modern Audiences" (something that doesn't actually exist... not in the numbers necessary to ever make it anywhere near profitable in the long run).  Hopefully this "Let the past die, kill it if you have to" trend will soon end and be relegated to the ignored and forgotten ash heap; we then may get more Ripleys, and a lot fewer -- as in barely none -- Rey Palpatines or reimagined Mulans and Ariels and dozens of other examples.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:04 PM, Big s said:

Just watched Peter Pan and Wendy and, surprisingly, really liked it. Of course I've never really been into Peter Pan and the last movie I watched was with Robin Williams... But Wendy doesn't do all that much 'action' except for some fighting at the end along with all the other Lost Boys (and Girls.) As for Hawkeye, that is another really good one especially with the mentor/mentee role that develops between them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...