5 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Now I'm hoping this movie actually embraces music from the Carribean and takes it up a couple of notches.  Give us some new tunes.

Just as long as it isn't Pitbull's take on Toto, I'd be fine with it.

Also, didn't we already get a live action growns-up Arial in Aquaman? 

I mean, her look WAS everything I've ever wanted in life. :wub:

sum310la8db11.gif.8affce5deab32f5277f47549845a18ea.gif

You gave exhibit b a good chuckle lol.

I agree too, the idea of changing gender and ethnicity just for the sake of changing it from white to (insert ethnicity here) is ridiculous.  For example if you want to make a comedy of same gender individuals having a wedding themed adventure where hilarity ensues do you A. remake The Hangover but with all women calling it Hangover or do you B. Make a similar movie called Bridesmaids with all women in it?  If you want to make an animated movie about an African American mermaid so those of African american identity can feel included then awesome, do so.  Make a new movie about an AA mermaid. The choice to remake a classic and give it same name but take the main character from white to AA is not about inclusion  it’s about taking an established white character and making her AA for the sake of appearing more liberal and hip cool and “with it”   It’s not necessary to reverse whitewash just to make non whites feel included is what I’m saying.  Prove me wrong Brother by all means. 

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

40 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

You gave exhibit b a good chuckle lol.

I agree too, the idea of changing gender and ethnicity just for the sake of changing it from white to (insert ethnicity here) is ridiculous.  For example if you want to make a comedy of same gender individuals having a wedding themed adventure where hilarity ensues do you A. remake The Hangover but with all women calling it Hangover or do you B. Make a similar movie called Bridesmaids with all women in it?  If you want to make an animated movie about an African American mermaid so those of African american identity can feel included then awesome, do so.  Make a new movie about an AA mermaid. The choice to remake a classic and give it same name but take the main character from white to AA is not about inclusion  it’s about taking an established white character and making her AA for the sake of appearing more liberal and hip cool and “with it”   It’s not necessary to reverse whitewash just to make non whites feel included is what I’m saying.  Prove me wrong Brother by all means. 

So your argument centers around "they took our jobs"? 

And we certainly do not agree, in fact I couldn't disagree more with your entire premise because it's based on the idea that having traditionally under-represented groups, represented more, as inherently bad. I'm sure you hated when Thor was written as a woman, or Sam Wilson became Captain America (in the comics and/or MCU) or Riri Williams as an Iron Man figure.

Look, this is a Disney movie that is  loosely based on, or inspired by previous works. This has been touched on by others more knowledgeable about the history of this particular title. 

It is not a biopic about a real life/historical figure which is what you compared it to. And then you used probably the worst example you could, Mel Gibson. The very same "drunk" Mel Gibson who is on tape, TWICE, making some pretty horrific comments towards women, those of different religions and of course referring to folks of my background a "pack of _______". And you suggest that he make and then star as a civil rights figure? Please.

And tell me about the real-life, historical figure, Ariel, the Little Mermaid and how Halle Bailey's casting goes against this historical figure. I'll wait.

All of that said, this should NOT be an us vs. them, it's about including people more. Especially those that historically, have not been included or represented.  Do you really see that as a bad thing? If "yes" then you and I will never see eye-to-eye and it's better to just agree to disagree. If that makes me liberal, or hip (personally I see myself as progressive) then those are badges I'll wear proudly.

24 minutes ago, Thom said:

Could we actually wonder if it will be a good movie or not..?

Initially I was pretty ambivalent about this, but I really hope this movie is a critical and commercial success just to shut negative people up. And I really do apologize for my part in keeping the side conversation going.

-b.

23 hours ago, sketchley said:

I am in no way attempting to mitigate your concerns.  Merely approaching this from a biological point of view:

People of the far north (Inuit, Eskimos, and so on) also have darker skins, because of their diet.  (Apparently it's a vitamin D rich diet from fatty fish that are naturally rich in vitamin D).

Doesn't the high level of reflected light from the snow have something to do with that too?

Snowblindness was a real problem for them and that's caused by reflected UV from snow.

23 hours ago, sketchley said:

Of course, if the mermaids live at the bottom of the ocean, then they should have "skin" like the Blind Congo River Spiny Eel: https://www.jungledragon.com/image/59447/the_blind_congo_river_spiny_eel_mastacembelus_brichardi_lives_in_the_turbid_waters_of_the_congo_river.html

(but I don't think anyone wants to see a movie where the heroine has skin like that! :lol: )

It wouldn't be the weirdest romance we've seen in fantasy.

5 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

When things are whitewashed it’s completely acceptable to bash it. So why not the other way? Just saying. I’m not trying to debate but there is a double standard with things like this. 

I don't completely disagree but I feel like the context matters more than the race.

Like, if it's a community theater production they have to make do with whoever auditions.  But in Hollywood they have a talent pool that's deep enough that doing it arbitrarily or because they're too lazy to cast a person who matches the author's intentions for the character it's wrong no matter what way it's going like casting ScarJo for Ghost in the Shell

If they're doing a reimagining of a story that changes the setting to a different location or time period it's more acceptable because the context of the story is different.  Like if Bollywood decided to do a West Side Story reimagining set in Kashmir about an Indian man and Pakistani woman or something, that would be more OK becuase the context is completely different even if the broad strokes are the same.  The Wiz is another good example since that one was set in more modern times with Dorothy being a girl from Harlem.

It's way too early to tell if they're going to make major changes to The Little Mermaid.  I'm a little worried we're looking at musical racial stereotyping in good old fashioned Disney tradition though.

• azrael locked this topic
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, Thom said:

It doesn't look that bad at all. Just have some good acting and hit those songs right. And they have the talking animals!

Just saw it today and it hit all three. Hallie Bailey was very good and more than capable for the songs, and I liked the guy they got to play Eric. And Sebastian, Flounder and Scuttle were still good as comic relief and allies against Ursula. See Mulan? It can be done!

It stayed pretty close to the original animated though...

Spoiler

...in this version it is Ariel and not Eric who kills Ursula, which I think is fitting as Urusla is far more her enemy than Eric's.

All in all, I think well done Disney. Two out of three ain't bad. Now do Frozen!😁

On 4/26/2023 at 12:36 PM, jvmacross said:

Perhaps I was being unfair....and it's Queen Athena who strayed....lol

Tell me about it.

image.jpeg.a0d099e0465e1ea4fe33f092105b71fa.jpeg

Broadway had similiar thing with Black Triton and multi racial kids. I did crack polygamy joke after Little Mermaid movie was announced, like maybe if he had consorts and Athena being chief/favorite wife but the old woman friend do see that element as “not family friendly” (to western audience).

4 hours ago, roboemo said:

Tell me about it.

Broadway had similiar thing with Black Triton and multi racial kids. I did crack polygamy joke after Little Mermaid movie was announced, like maybe if he had consorts and Athena being chief/favorite wife but the old woman friend do see that element as “not family friendly” (to western audience).

If the kids all look different, he might not be the one that strayed. 

6 hours ago, roboemo said:

Tell me about it.

That's a Broadway play!? Those are some terrible costumes!

1 hour ago, Mog said:

"You give him an inch;  he swims all over you."  😜

I think it’s probably more like “ While the husband’s away, the wife will play”.

He just hasn’t figured out why all his children look different yet. It’s gonna eventually end up on a horrible Maury show episode 

I wanted to make a joke about Titan's little tadpoles have chosen to identify themselves as others, hence you get Ariel & her sisters as they are now.

But perhaps it would be inappropriate, admins please delete if so. :p  

11 minutes ago, MKT said:

I wanted to make a joke about Titan's little tadpoles have chosen to identify themselves as others, hence you get Ariel & her sisters as they are now.

But perhaps it would be inappropriate, admins please delete if so. :p  

Nah, it was titans wife that diversified her side guys

On 6/2/2023 at 6:00 PM, jenius said:

The Gods had a whole different view on these sorts of things... These are just the kids that looked kind of human...

Yeah, King Triton's based on the Greek god of the sea by the same name... there is no guarantee he was even partly humanoid when he fathered any of his kids.

His uncle Zeus seduced or assaulted women while disguised as animals, other men, or even a "golden rain"... and his daddy Poseidon wasn't exactly a stranger to that routine either, having notably abducted or seduced women while disguised as a nymph, a dolphin, or even just "seawater".  The rules of biological reproduction need not apply. :rofl: