OT Computer Help problem

robokochan

Mods I know this is off topic, but if you could please leave it up for a few hours I would be very grateful! (Insert bowing asian emtiocon) :unsure:

Okay here is the deal. I currently use Windows XP Japan version. I hate it, can't read half the Kanji :angry:

I just got an English version Xp. Now here is the question. Since I already have XP and basically want to re-install the same version can I just pop in the disc and install? Or do i have to uninstall the current XP and re-install . Or will I loose everything?

Advise please!

Rob MN

If you put the CD in while the PC is on, it will AutoRun, and bring up the Installation menu. It should give you several options from there.

However, it also depends, do you have the same version? IE: Windows XP Pro (JP) and are installing Windows XP Pro (Eng)?

If so, it will likely detect that you have the same op system already, and tell you as much, which means that it may not want to install.

However, if you have Windows XP Home (JP) and are installing Pro (Eng) then it might let you do it.

Is the version you have to install a full version?, or an upgrade version?

I'm a completist when it comes to PC's. Especially with crappy MS Osystems. So, I for one would never install one over the other, or install an upgrade version.

With Windows, there's nothing better than a nice format, and a clean install. That way, it might actuallay work crash free for about 4-6 weeks before the registry goes to crap, and the op system starts to malfunction.

You also might want to check Microsoft's Web Site. There's a good chance that the op system is the same, and there is just a registry key that is telling it to be Japanese, not English.

Hope this helps.

absolute best way would be to backup all your stuff, reformat, do a clean install....

if not, I know the good ol win98/2k trick of deleting the system folder (and ONLY the main system folder), and then simply installing into the same directory. I remember just doing a straight install once without deleting, a few problems here and there (like a HUGE system folder...), but the whole setup worked.

But we're talking about different language installations.... ah.. screw it, I'd just do a clean install. More of a hassle, but less problems to iron out in the future. You'll need to reinstall everything anyway, since your system registry is gonna get wiped out (you COULD back that up, but it'll be... problematic porting the registry between different lanuages).

To avoid any and all problems reinstalling in the future, best to have all your data on a different hard drive, that way all of your saved games, mp3z, and pr0n you spent so long downloading will be safe =)

You also might want to check Microsoft's Web Site. There's a good chance that the op system is the same, and there is just a registry key that is telling it to be Japanese, not English.

huh... well, if somebody else says so, then yeah, backup your registry key while you're at it.

For my computer though, I run win2k (CHT), with half of my programs installing into folders that carry chinese names. Would hate to see windows having a hiccup trying to sort through all the foriegn language folders. I hear winxp multi-language support is better though....

ANYWAY... at the very least you got two guys saying you should do a clean install =) upgrades/install-overs usually run into SOME sort of problem...

Edit: I re-read your message and I think you simply want to switch your menus and interface to English right? Read this article but it tells you the MUI pack is for corporate users only.

You can made some applications such as office switch to English by changing your regional settings. Goto START | CONTROL PANEL | REGIONAL SETTINGS and click on ADVANCE. It should list your preferred language and change that to English. Note that your system will display that menu in Japanese so translate it. Pick America or England or whatever you prefer. It will ask to install some files from the CD and reboot.

Your OS will still be in Japanese for the menus but UNICODE aware apps will now be in English for certain dialogs and such.

So, back to the original response:

First backup all your important stuff to CDR, CDRW, DVDR, DVDRW, another HD, etc...

If you are strapped for time, boot into Windows XP Japanese, insert CD rom and attempt to reinstall. It theoretically should work, but will require you to use the CD key from the English (American) version.

Your Japanese applications should work but the fonts will be all messed up. I'm running Japanese applications on the Chinese version of XP and those apps do not display perfectly, even with the proper mime type installed.

If all goes well, you're up and running in an English environment. If not, you will need to wipe your boot partition and install XP from the CD during bootup. Basic setup without downloading SP1 or post SP1 patching and installing all apps from scratch is at least 1 hour (49 mins to install XP, at least 10 mins of just pressing enter, continue, entering your cd key, setting your time and local settings, etc...).

Personally, I would backup, wipe HD and reinstall OS, followed by SP1/post SP1 fixes and updated drivers. Then install your most used apps and games. Forget about stuff you didn't use over the last month. Install them when you need to or think you need to use them again.

Good luck.

Edited by Neova

Mods I know this is off topic, but if you could please leave it up for a few hours I would be very grateful! (Insert bowing asian emtiocon) :unsure:

Okay here is the deal. I currently use Windows XP Japan version. I hate it, can't read half the Kanji :angry:

I just got an English version Xp. Now here is the question. Since I already have XP and basically want to re-install the same version can I just pop in the disc and install? Or do i have to uninstall the current XP and re-install . Or will I loose everything?

Advise please!

Rob MN

backup all important fiel on cd. re clean isntall. best way.

ali

Monkey-N...

Get a Mac.

:)

might as well buy all the robotech masterpiece collection whiel your at it.

Hah!

Whatever. :p

In the twenty or so years I've had the privilege of using computers, I've always had issue with PC's, but always bought them because they are inherently cheaper.

After my last PC crashed I finally broke down and actually bought a Mac. Over the past 1 1/2 years it hasn't crashed or screwed up once. Sure, I can't play as many games as before, but it blows any PC out of the water when it comes to graphics programs, which is what I really want.

Different strokes for different blokes, but I prefer my computer to always run instead of the crap that PC's have put me through.

I also don't care for Microsoft. I don't hate them as a corporation, as most people do, I just think they put out a very bug-laden, non-intuitive, crappy product... everytime they release something.

Monkey-N...

Get a Mac.

:)

might as well buy all the robotech masterpiece collection whiel your at it.

Hah!

Whatever. :p

:lol: Good one!

Different strokes for different blokes, but I prefer my computer to always run instead of the crap that PC's have put me through.

How do you like paying more for less available software? ;)

Macs are ok but too much of a niche market especially for games. And their hardware is too expensive.

Microsloth is just the favorite whipping boy because they're the biggest. Before it was IBM who got the same scorn from the 3LiT3 h4x0R$. ;) Tomorrow, it'll be someone else.

I also don't care for Microsoft. I don't hate them as a corporation, as most people do, I just think they put out a very bug-laden, non-intuitive, crappy product... everytime they release something.

No one likes Microsoft. OSX and it's derivatives are fantastic - I think most of us just take issue with having to pay twice as much as you would for an equivalent PC for the proprietary hardware to run it on. The day Apple ports its OS for x86, I'll switch in a heartbeat, but not before.

(Me: Senses a thread about to get locked for going OT... <_< )

Rob - You'll definitely want to backup, format, and reinstall for something like this. You might be able to hack the NLS back into English, but in my experience (I'm a unix sysadmin who also manages a largeish Win2K AD Domain), it's going to cause more problems than it's going to solve. You'save yourself a lot of grief by installing the English version, and adding support for Kanji and eastern fonts once it's back up and running.

Microsoft is just the favorite whipping boy because they're the biggest.

Pretty much. If people take care of their crap, it will run just fine. The only bugs that matter(other than the klez exploit) matter to hardcore PC users and they usually have Linux anyway. But when you've got the market share that MS does, its hard to say that everybody hates you... I mean, the funny thing is that most people that diss MS are afraid to run Linux and don't like Apple because they play games... :rolleyes: