help on idea use to cut plastic

Rick_Randy

anyone there know what I can use to get clean cuts when gutting thick plastic? In particular thick plastic models and toys??

I want to chop up old Harmony gold product and modify them any suggestion on what I can use to cut up this plastic? I would post this in the toy forum but I need to know what cutting tools I can use other than a scalpel to get cleaner cuts for 2-3mm thick plastic.(something hand help preferable.) I copping saw does nothing for me

I second using a modelling saw.

One method I used cutting thick plastic with a xacto knife was to heat the blade on a stove top then starting slicing away. Went through thick plastic in no time. When cutting with the hot blade dont stay in one area for more than a second otherwise it will melt a lot of plastic. I used this method on my LM Escaflowne kit which has solid plastic pieces.

Multipart answer:

If your looking for quick, easy, and have a very steady hand (and can do with some minor "mistakes" ) use the dremel...it's quick and effective. Problems, can include mistakes...which will often be in the form of the wheel catching on the edge of something and jumping, disturbing your smooth line....also, it is the widest cut, destroying the most of the plastic

Razor or modeling saw - my favorite...does great work...but straight lines....if your doing something with any amount of curves you may have problems...it will, however, do a finer cut then the dremel, and is easier to not make mistakes with...of course it will take longer

Jewlers Saw - won't do straight lines (like the modelers saw) but does curves wonderfully. Very accurate, but very hard to do perfectly straight lines with such a fine blade.

Chain Saw - no effort...no accuracy...most rewarding! :p:D

Hope this makes sense..and helps.

Jewlers Saw - won't do straight lines (like the modelers saw) but does curves wonderfully. Very accurate, but very hard to do perfectly straight lines with such a fine blade.

For a project that I'm evaluating, I need to cut curves. Do you have a picture or recommendation of said Jewlers Saw?

I just picked up a BIG 1.5" deep model saw for 3 bux. That has got to be one of my better tool deals next to my 20 piece file set for 3 bux.