Evangelion: Resurrection

I was at Best Buy and saw a bunch of copies of this new Evangelion DVD from ADV called "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Resurrection - the director's cut DVD". Supposedly it features a new version of the last 3 episodes.

Anyone who has this DVD can post a review and whether the new/extra stuff is worth the money? Are they just re-cutting the End of Eva movie and replaced the last 3 TV episodes with it, or is it something totally different from the original TV episodes and the EoE movie?

Edited by Jolly Rogers

it would be kind of cool if they cut the physical stuff that happend in EOE in with the last couple episodes of the tv show, wich was apparently alot of psycobabble going on inside the kids heads

neat.

There was extra footage added to the episodes for the director's cut. It's not from EoE, though a few pieces pieces of the new footage were in Death and Rebirth during the recap portion.

Scenes include Kaoru talking to Seele, expanded 16th angel battle, more talk time between some characters and Kaji, and some more stuff. I'm eager to see all that's in there.

Mine should be shipping from Right Stuf by tomorrow.

Note: this one is of Episodes 21-23. The next vol. with 24-26 will be out on 3/9.

Now if we could just get the enhanced revival box out here that saw it's R2 release already, I'd be ecstatic. 5.1 audio, touched up backgrounds, removal of screen jitter supposedly, the works.

it would be kind of cool if they cut the physical stuff that happend in EOE in with the last couple episodes of the tv show, wich was apparently alot of psycobabble going on inside the kids heads

neat.

You wouldn't have a copy of the full pic that avatar is from would you?

This particular volume only has the directors cuts of 21, 22, & 23 (plus original TV edits of the same episodes). There's a second one due out in march that has 24, 25, & 26 (plus original tv edits of the same episodes).

This is stuff that was out for the Japanese home release 5-6 years ago. Definately worth it for Eva fans, as it ties in things better with EoE.

Well besides ADVs interpretation on what is said in one scene the only other thing I noticed is that they redubbed the whole thing. Gendo is a different VA, so is Maya but other then that besides some extras everyone else is the same at least VA wise. I have only seen 21 and 22 so far, but as for the WETA interview all I have to say is Rei is now Ray Asuka is Kate Rose and Misato is now Susan. Don't ask I don't know its all on the disc. The concept pictures looked great but I fear this is going to be worse then G-saviour, if they cant even keep the names I can only imagine what else they're gonna hack. Its HG part 2 lol :).

Rob :ph34r:

Well besides ADVs interpretation on what is said in one scene the only other thing I noticed is that they redubbed the whole thing. Gendo is a different VA, so is Maya but other then that besides some extras everyone else is the same at least VA wise. I have only seen 21 and 22 so far, but as for the WETA interview all I have to say is Rei is now Ray Asuka is Kate Rose and Misato is now Susan. Don't ask I don't know its all on the disc. The concept pictures looked great but I fear this is going to be worse then G-saviour, if they cant even keep the names I can only imagine what else they're gonna hack. Its HG part 2 lol :).

Rob :ph34r:

Dear god no. I have to check the interview myself once my copy arrives.

I actually had hopes they weren't going to screw this one up. If anything I'll watch it no matter what either way, so I can appreciate the show and the manga that much more. There is still time though.....

I don't see how it could be worse than G-saviour, but who knows. I'm expecting Guyver "quality" at best. Set the bar low, maybe we'll be surprized.

The manga is awesome at least.

THe director cut episodes are pretty nice. I've been watching them on that HK Renewal Of Evangelion rip, which kicks ass. It has both the director cut and normal versions of episodes that applies to, plus the remastered video for the whole series. Costed me a little more then this DVD you guys are talking about did, too.

THe director cut episodes are pretty nice. I've been watching them on that HK Renewal Of Evangelion rip, which kicks ass. It has both the director cut and normal versions of episodes that applies to, plus the remastered video for the whole series. Costed me a little more then this DVD you guys are talking about did, too.

There's an HK rip of that already? :o

Is the 5.1 audio on it too?

I so want an R1 release of it, but I know Gainax is going to be bitches about lisencing it out.

Spoiler Alert!

I got the DVD yesterday and the biggest difference I saw when watching the first part of episodes 2 was Asuka trying to have sex with Kaji while he told her that she was just a kid and the scene in the bathroom where Asuka starts freaking out saying she hates everything.

As for the interview on the Evangelion movie, here are a few screencaptures of the characters someone mentioned. If they do change the names of the main characters around, they are going to piss a lot of Eva fans off. I for one, will not see this movie of they do that.

By the way, KingNor's avatar is Misa Hayase, or her look-a-like, which graced the monitor screen of a Chiram fighter in the original Orguss. It flashes by pretty fast, like the Budweiser can in DYRL.

post-26-1074133664_thumb.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Spoiler Alert!

I got the DVD yesterday and the biggest difference I saw when watching the first part of episodes 2 was Asuka trying to have sex with Kaji while he told her that she was just a kid and the scene in the bathroom where Asuka starts freaking out saying she hates everything.

As for the interview on the Evangelion movie, here are a few screencaptures of the characters someone mentioned. If they do change the names of the main characters around, they are going to piss a lot of Eva fans off. I for one, will not see this movie of they do that.

By the way, KingNor's avatar is Misa Hayase, or her look-a-like, which graced the monitor screen of a Chiram fighter in the original Orguss. It flashes by pretty fast, like the Budweiser can in DYRL.

Looking at that pic, I hope it's just that the concept artist that sucks, because those look like adults, not 14 year old screwed up kids like it's supposed to be. <_<

Edited by Anubis

I kind of agree. I don't think that they could get away with using 14 yr olds here in the states for some of the things that go on in NGE....

16-17, sure... maybe. 14? Nope....

If they do go for older, I really hope they stick close to the 18-19 zone....

All said and done, though, I'm kinda fearing this one... I just don't see how it could be done well. I used to say that about LotR, though, so I'll just wait and see, I guess.

If they do make them adults........ thank God!!!! :huh: That was one thing that always buged me about Evangelion. They have a state of the art mech capeable of destroying the world and they let a 14 year old pilot it? Not to realistic if you ask me.

If they do make them adults........ thank God!!!! :huh: That was one thing that always buged me about Evangelion. They have a state of the art mech capeable of destroying the world and they let a 14 year old pilot it? Not to realistic if you ask me.

That issue's been addressed in the series if you actually watched it.

I'm not advocating jailbait or anything, I'm just saying they're supposed at least attempt to stick to the original story as best as they can. It's supposed to be about screwed up teens (and their screwed up adult superiors).

Since it is a movie adaption of the show, kicking the ages up to the 16-19 range for the trio I could deal with. It certainly would help with the casting at a minimum with an increased pool to draw from, so that would be reasonable, and eliminate any worries about what content can safely port over into the movie version. I agree some things just wouldn't fly in a live action version, especially in the states, if they were 14.

The girls in the pics though look like their late 20's, which wouldn't seem right at all given the subject matter of the original. I just hope they don't increrase their ages too much. For now I chalk it up to a bad concept artist.

The name changes would really piss me off though if they go through with that.

Edited by Anubis

Evangelion. They have a state of the art mech capeable of destroying the world and they let a 14 year old pilot it? Not to realistic if you ask me.

you have giant organo-robots with the souls of females fighting "what-if" humans and you're complaining about realism?

can't fault the producers for moving away from 14yr olds. aside from the pedo implications i doubt they would be able to find 14yr olds who can pull off that mentally damaged state they're in.

I kind of agree. I don't think that they could get away with using 14 yr olds here in the states for some of the things that go on in NGE....

16-17, sure... maybe. 14? Nope....

If they do go for older, I really hope they stick close to the 18-19 zone....

All said and done, though, I'm kinda fearing this one... I just don't see how it could be done well. I used to say that about LotR, though, so I'll just wait and see, I guess.

One seems to remember a 14 year-old Dominique Swain in the remake of the movie Lolita. The film was American made, and is sold on DVD and VHS here in the States. And there are always body doubles like they did use for Ms. Swain during the partial nude scenes. So it can be done.

However, I would be happy if they did stick to a 16 to 19 year-old range also. It just seems that if they are going to try and remain faithful to the series, they ought to keep their ages. And if they are changing the names, I wonder what Gainax will think of that?

i don't know, if they upped the age to anything past 16 i dont' think it would work

as f0cked up as things were for these kids, their ability to deal with stuff with even a few years age diffrence makes a huge impact on what you'd expect from them. a 19 yearold whos got hatred for his dad, it would be annoying to see him doing the childish things the kid does in eva, running away and just being all angsty, you'd expect more from a 19yold. a 14 year old is still in his formative years, i expect he'd be way more confused about things, and have no idea how to deal with it.

the ages from birth to 20 see by far the largest changes in a person per year than the any time after those years. the diffrence between a 14 year old and a 16 year old are huge! 19 is out of the question.

i don't see why 14 year olds couldn't be used in an american version of the movie... what exactly happens to them that is so wrong? its not like there is any graphic sex or anything.

remember The Professional where the girl developes a sexual attraction to the 30+ assasin she lives with

or dozens of movies with child stars that are raped and murdeded in the movie.

Interview with the Vampire, the girl stares at a woman dressing/undressing herself and the girl desires a womans body she can't have.

if they can do all that in american cinima, they can do anyting needed for eva.

(except maybe the jerkoff scene in the movie... but really i don't think that was such an important scene to force it into the live action version)

Edited by KingNor

Just checked out the images. I must say, the art department for WETA definitely has an interesting style, if the rest of the flick is as good as the set/mecha designs I might be sold on the idea. I am still looking forward to the film, I just don't think it will do very well unless it is the second coming(pun intended).

I like the plug suit designs, but the people they have in them look weird. I am confident that will change, I'd rather not have Asuka looking like a 40 year old crack whore. I also hope that they change their names too... I mean... something more true to the original:

Misato Katsuragi - Michell K(something)

Asuka Langley - Ashley/Alyssa Langley

Rei - Rei

Shinji Ikari - Scott Bernard. :p I honestly have no ideas... I just hope they don't name Gendo something like Gordon or Gary... :rolleyes:

Though this is just off the top of my head. I just hope they don't botch it...

Looks like I'm going to need to pick up those DVDs.... grudgingly however as they should have been included in the first place.

BTW - I like how 02 seems to be the most un-changed of the primary EVAs... I give it 02 thumbs up. I do think that they're making the EVAs true nature a little too obvious... but we'll know when we see some film...

If this does well though... my hopes for a live action Macross movie may be rekindled...but HG smashes those dreams unless they get a cut. :(

"Misato" looks like complete crap.

I really hope they change the names back to the way they're supposed to be. Even slightly modified like Max suggested would be...acceptable. Grudgingly, but acceptable for movie purposes. There is no excuse for changing Asuka to Kate Rose, Misato to Susan, and Rei to Ray (why even change the spelling there). Some questionable decisions there.

Nerv and the Eva's, on the other hand, look pretty damned sweet. They used a much better concept artist for those than they did with the girls.

According to the interview here, the target age for the Children will be around 15....

That's a relief to see at least.

Still a looooong ways away though regardless.

Edited by Anubis

Well, I'm very pleased by the designs. They are very true to the original style which is cool. And the plug suits look close enough too. As for the character names, I'm not sure if we should be assuming those just yet. I've read in a couple different places that "Kate Rose" is a costume designer working on the film, but the name "Ray" for what is obviously Rei's suit seems a bit fishy.

Regarding the original names...the only reason there would be to keep them would be if they had Japanese actors. If the actors aren't going to be Japanese (and I REALLY wish they would be, but I doubt it) then it would be complete nonsense for them to have names like Ayanami, Shinji, Misato, Asuka etc... Yeah, it would be weird to have the same characters with different names, but do you really want to see a bunch of caucasians calling each other by Japanese names? :blink:

My biggest concern at this point is the design for what is apparently supposed to be Misato. I think everyone wants to see her in her short red coat complete with crucifix necklace,and it would really change the character to put her in a plug-style suit. Maybe she only wears it for a short time, or maybe it's simply an idea. I don't know.

At this point it's obvious to me that they're putting more thought and care into this production than any other Anime translation I've ever seen, so I'm still heavily optimistic. If it turns out to be crap, so be it. It won't ruin my love for the original.

Regarding the original names...the only reason there would be to keep them would be if they had Japanese actors.  If the actors aren't going to be Japanese (and I REALLY wish they would be, but I doubt it) then it would be complete nonsense for them to have names like Ayanami, Shinji, Misato, Asuka etc... Yeah, it would be weird to have the same characters with different names, but do you really want to see a bunch of caucasians calling each other by Japanese names?

You know.... I never thought of that.

That's a damn good point... and one I'll have to second. If they do wind up using caucasians (and chances are good), it would be best for the names to change.... it's painful enough hearing English dubs destroying Japanese names, I'd hate to see them do it in live action....

But then, most anime has caucasian looking characters with Japanese names...

oh, my head....

edit for spellin'

Edited by gnollman

I understand the caucasian with Japanese name argument, and it is true for a live action movie, but if they need to change the names, at least use something westernized that is similar to the original, not just something pulled out of a hat. At least for the primary cast.

It's fine for the kiddie shows on WB to have the names completely changed. Who cares given the target audience. But for something aimed towards a specific group (anime fans), who can be by definition picky (I'm guilty there myself at times), and being a live action adaption of a perrenial essential collection favorite, they should be careful to stick as close to source as possible if it is going to be successful.

Edited by Anubis

What's the difference between a name that's similar to the original or one that's seemingly random? Either way it's a different name. Wether Asuka is called Kate or Allison or Ashley or Alyssa or Hooty McBoob isn't going to make a lick of difference to me. If it's not Asuka it might as well be anything. The characters names will not be what makes or breaks this project.