Does anyone know which brand this SDF-1 is?

Wabbit

So I hosted the image on my site:

macross.jpg

Is it a Bandai, Matchbox, Taka? :blink:

Edited by Wabbit

Hosted it on your site rather than letting us get the jump on you, eh? Smart move. I can tell you that it is NOT a matchbox by the little plane on the carriers arm. As for a bandai... I have no idea as I've never seen one. I'm thinking taka myself, especially if the seller can't find a manufacturers name as it would be a diamond symbol I believe. Hope that helps.

regardless... It looks nice :)

Hosted it on your site rather than letting us get the jump on you, eh? Smart move. I can tell you that it is NOT a matchbox by the little plane on the carriers arm. As for a bandai... I have no idea as I've never seen one. I'm thinking taka myself, especially if the seller can't find a manufacturers name as it would be a diamond symbol I believe. Hope that helps.

regardless... It looks nice :)

Hehe, it's a dutch seller, so eventualy the shipment would be steep. ;)

So the Matchbox doesn't have any planes on it. Does it have catapult launchers like the ones on the picture?

I've seen some pictures of a Takatoku, but AFAIK they had red or blue planes. Of Bandai I know knothing of it, but my knowledge of Macross toys was only focussed on the Valks.

Just send him a reply back for more questions (size, date of purchase, planes, missiles, more photos), hopefuly he has most of the answeres. :)

It's a Takatoku.  You can tell for sure by the stamp brand.  Takatoku will be in japanese, and bandai will just say "BANDAI".

Rob

Where can one find that stamp? :blink:

And what are the reasonable prices for a Taka ($170-$250?) and Bandai?

It may be on the "Feet" or on the back-side. It would be rather small but there should be markings somewhere on it. It's been a long time since I have had one of those so my memory is a bit foggy.

You hit the nail on the head with the pricing...unless you are in Japan and then the price would sky-rocket.

Rob MN

The Takatoku logo looks like this: < T.T > except that the <> actually forms a diamond.

I'm not sure, but I think there's no such thing as Bandai SDF-1. But the Matchbox SDF-1 may have a Bandai marking on it. I.e., manufactured by Bandai for Matchbox, but never sold by Bandai. Confusing, huh?

Also, there's at least one bootleg SDF-1 that is very close to the Takatoku in design and good quality. In fact, I'm pretty sure the picture you've shown is the bootleg. How do I know? I just found the same picture on the net, and based on the accompanying description of the box, it's the bootleg. I won't go into any more detail in public, because I don't want to mess up your deal. But I am PMing with info, because based on where I found the picture, it doesn't seem to be in the Netherlands. Be careful.

Edit: board is messing with my efforts to show the TT logo.

Edited by ewilen

Damn I wish I hadn't destroyed/lost/mangled the old Matchbox I got from KB's clearance all those years ago. Ah hindsight...

Really makes me wish Yamato will come out with one. Though odds are the thing will be 300 bucks and have really weak hinges on the main cannon booms... <_<

In fact, I'm pretty sure the picture you've shown is the bootleg. How do I know? I just found the same picture on the net, and based on the accompanying description of the box, it's the bootleg. I won't go into any more detail in public, because I don't want to mess up your deal. But I am PMing with info, because based on where I found the picture, it doesn't seem to be in the Netherlands. Be careful.

Thank you, I'll confront him with the information.

This is one thing that I love fansites! There is always someone who knows about almost any item that is offered on the net. :lol:

Hey,

actually, I'm the seller of the sdf1. I don't have any pictures yet but in a couple of weeks I will...

The SDF1 is at my parents house so I don't have any detailled info about it at the moment. One thing I know for sure is that it isnt possible to launch any planes on the flagships as seen on the pics.

Hey,

actually, I'm the seller of the sdf1. I don't have any pictures yet but in a couple of weeks I will...

The SDF1 is at my parents house so I don't have any detailled info about it at the moment. One thing I know for sure is that it isnt possible to launch any planes on the flagships as seen on the pics.

Hey 3st, just read your mail: the best sellers/stores can be found in the Macross Dealer Announcement and Specials section and you can read the Straight Shooters and Blacklist for good and bad sellers in For Sale section.

This is THE place to hang out and find information, almost all sources lead from here. :)

Sending you a PM.

Hmm, this just hit me. If it doesn't launch the planes, unlike the Takatoku one (but it has them, unlike the Bandai), might it be the Matsushiro one. I know they made a 1/3000 because I've seen pics (and I saw one for sale once, but it wasn't open and it was really expensive).

matsu SDF?????!????!???! :blink:

I must know more :blink:

That may be the same as the "bootleg" I referred to. Somebody posted about winning one back on the old forums. Now that everything's pretty much out in the open, here's the web page I was referring to:

http://www.opusgames.com/toys/robotoys.htm...tml#MacrossToys

Here's what it says about the toy. Note the box details.

SDF-Macross - a transforming version of the Macross (SDF-1 in Robotech), complete with tiny plastic planes that can be launched off the two attached carriers. It is in fairly good condition, though when I first found it at Gametek, it was in a dozen pieces. I may be missing a few of the toy planes and missiles, but all the ship parts are there, and it came with a box. The box has no company labels, so I don't know who created the toy, but the box front is in Japanese, with English instructions for transforming the ship on the back. The box label reads "Macross SSF-1 Super Robo."

Does it even come with little planes? On the assumption that it doesn't, you probably have the Matchbox version. Again, I think the Matchbox SDF-1 was manufactured by Bandai (they got a hold of the mold along with the other Matsushiro/Takatoku stuff) but marketed only in the US, by Matchbox. Take at look at this page and note the manufacturer info.

Also note this reference to the "Bandai/Matchbox" SDF-1 (on a page with a rather-pricey Takatoku).

And look here and you'll find the phrase "SDF-1 transformable (fabriqué par Bandai, mais vendu par Matchbox)", "transformable SDF-1 (made by Bandai, but sold by Matchbox)".

[Edit: removed image from original post--it's not what I thought it was]

Edited by ewilen

matchbox sdf-1 complete in box with no broken bits normally go around $80-125 depending on condition, and all the way up to US $172.50 for an unplayed with one in box with unapplied stickers. Ebay has a nice thing where you can view "completed items"... http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/se...10&BasicSearch=

good luck. Oh... if you want to trade it for a sword... :rolleyes:

So the Matchbox doesn't have any planes on it. Does it have catapult launchers like the ones on the picture?

None at all. About that time, there was a furor over Battlestar Galactica toys that had firing missiles that put out kids' eyes. After that, most toys with firing missiles either had to be weakened or the missiles removed. IIRC, that's what happened with the original SW (1980) Boba Fett toy. They were going to have firing missiles in the backpack, but after the BSG toy problems, Kenner retrofitted the toys before they left the factory.

And I have a Matchbox Prometheus (used to have the SDF-1 itself -- kicking myself for the way I treated toys at age six), and there's no fittings whatsoever for the catapults. It looks like they completely remolded the carriers when they Americanized the toys.

3st... depends on the price. I'm notoriously cheap though so wabbit would be a better shot LOL.

Pat Payne... Are you refering to the BG vipers? That explains why the dozen I have all have the mislle glued in place :blink:

That's the one. :) That's also why all the TF Jetfires had missiles, but nothing to put them into.

None at all. About that time, there was a furor over Battlestar Galactica toys that had firing missiles that put out kids' eyes. After that, most toys with firing missiles either had to be weakened or the missiles removed. IIRC, that's what happened with the original SW (1980) Boba Fett toy. They were going to have firing missiles in the backpack, but after the BSG toy problems, Kenner retrofitted the toys before they left the factory.

And I have a Matchbox Prometheus (used to have the SDF-1 itself -- kicking myself for the way I treated toys at age six), and there's no fittings whatsoever for the catapults. It looks like they completely remolded the carriers when they Americanized the toys.

Interesting history. so that's where it all began, to 'Americanize' toys against ridicilous lawsuits. People's own responsibility was then put into the hands of the manufacturer, to support the people who can't even look after their own (children).

Yup stupid kids putting their eyes out really screwed it up for everyone. I had transformers that were purchased from stores in Japan and transformers purchased here in the states. The ones from Japan shot missiles clear across the room. I liked those a lot better. Funny how shooting eyes out was such a big deal. Kids could choke on those little missiles, but that didn't seem to be a huge concern at the time like it is now. It also screwed us over with the Megatron reissues, since all toys that were guns had to have that plastic orange thing at the end of it cuz some lazertag idiot tried to shoot a police officer with it and got blown away.

cuz some lazertag idiot tried to shoot a police officer with it and got blown away.

Whatever happened to survival of the fittest?

That's not survival of the fittest, that's called "Natural Selection"

How come everyone always want to start a tangent argument over something?

Natural Selection = survival of the fittest = Darwin's theory of evolution

:rolleyes:

cuz some lazertag idiot tried to shoot a police officer with it and got blown away.

Whatever happened to survival of the fittest?

That's not survival of the fittest, that's called "Natural Selection"

How come everyone always want to start a tangent argument over something?

Natural Selection = survival of the fittest = Darwin's theory of evolution

:rolleyes:

No, if I really wanted to start a tangent argument then my answer to your question would have been...

DEMOCRATS