Robotech: Invasion #1

MrDisco

Robotech - Invasion #1

Yune, Faerber, Miyazawa, Dogan

Issue 1 of the new RT comic series hit the comic stores today. It comes in 2 covers, one with Lancer in that really ugly cover page we've seen in the promos and other by Yoshitaka Amano - blank white background with what i presume is a stylized rendering of Lancer and a phoenix (please correct me if i'm wrong). this was a matter of the lesser of two evils for me. i found both covers unappealing and not the sort of thing that may sway a person from buying this on impulse. i went with the Amano cover as the other one was simply too ugly for me to look at. sorry Wildstorm no 2 cover purchase from me this time.

Interior art work is no surprise for those who have followed the previous comic series. black background with cg coloured panels overtop. no real complaints here. since i'm not an expert i wont comment on whether the mecha have been drawn properly or not, though it seems fine to me.

The story (possible spoilers)

Following the aftermath of the Invid invasion, the 10th Mars Division arrives in earth orbit 7 years later to reclaim their home. On one of the battleships (which look like modified Zentraedi cruisers) Commander Olivia Stahl makes an attempt at getting close to Lieutenant Lance Belmont, a guitar strumming soldier in the Mars Division. He rebuffs her advances as she storms out of his room. (i should mention that her uniform is a one piece mini-skirt ensemble which seems strange. dunno maybe this was always the case for RT uniforms. she also looks like a zombie in my opinion..the skin colouring, facial expressions...not that pretty).

A brief conversation between Lance and his wingmate Dimitry reveals the force is only equipped with non-variable fighters which are not designed for re-entry or close quarter fights (foreshadowing? naw). Condor Battloids are used to provide the fighters with cover, however Lance doesn't believe the Invid will attack them in space....

....well guess again because not a page later then an Invid carrier ship leaves Earth to meet the force. The triple clam shaped carrier splits open to reveal the Invid swarm. A battle ensues, Lance's yellow squadron (he's the leader) launches to meet this threat. The fighters are armed with Reflex missles which Lance uses to take out the carrier ship, however the invid swarm Stahl's battleship causing it to prematurely re-enter Earth. Lance and Dimitry engage to provide cover but all 3 ships crash land on earth. Lance awakens to an angry mob who take him prisoner; Dimitry is found seemingly dead by a woman in a forest, split away from his commander.

To be continued...

For a first issue there's not much here going on to really comment on. The rejection of Olivia by Lancer is interesting (is he gay? does he not find her attractive? what's with his cool attitude?). The fighters and the Condor Battloids (dont think they were shown in this issue) didn't seem familiar to me - are they part of the RT canon or are these made up for this story? Shoult be interesting seeing how this plays out and the eventual transformation into Yellow Dancer.

BONUS 'Mars Base One'

This part surprised me. Included is a bonus mini-story. It opens with the final battle in Macross City with Gloval placing Lisa in the escape capsule. Claudia and Gloval have a few words ("Oh and now smoking on the bridge sir..") just before the SDF-1 explodes. The scene quickly shifts to Admiral Lisa Hayes looking over a photo album recollecting past events.

The scene then shifts to a much younger Lisa (in civillian clothes no less) and Dr.Lang. An obnoxious Karl Riber is introduced to Lisa and later her father as they discuss the proposal to open a Mars base for robotechnology development. A limo then pulls up where the sillouette of a women can be seen. the limo explodes seemingly killing Lisa's mother (the women in the limo).

To be continued...

I found this part of the story a little more compelling (maybe its because it has Lisa in it :) ). The murder of her mother took me by surprise..was it ever mentioned how she died in the novels? (just out of curiosity..i know not canon). To me this mini story will hold my interest far more then the previous Minmei movie-slash-comic story attempt.

Overall an interesting issue for RT fans but nothing here that will entertain Macross or average comic fans.

Doesn't really sound that interesting. If anything from the previews the artwork seems to be worse then the last two series. At least to me. The anime look they are trying for just doesn't look good and they really should have stuck with the previous art style.

Again with the two story issues. Tommy in chat several times has all but gone out and said that he knows that having two stories decrease the quality of both, more so the main story. Pretty much has said that this is the only way these "bonus" stories will ever be released is by including them with others. Honestly these things would not sell on their own. So what we get is an extra story that is weak and HG knows this, a story that takes away space from the main story thus decreasing its quality and lessing the chances of it being good or worthwhile all. All of which that seem to be Macross based that do nothing to further the Robotech timeline since they all take place in the past and seem to serve nothing more then to provide character development for characters have have long died or no longer seen on screen. Character development which is done far better in the actually TV show.

A waste of paper in my opinion. Maybe I if stopped questioning things my interest in Robotech wouldn't have lessened greatly over the past year and I would be such a big Macross fan now. Or maybe I'm judging to harshly and to soon based on the first issue?

A brief conversation between Lance and his wingmate Dimitry reveals the force is only equipped with non-variable fighters which are not designed for re-entry or close quarter fights (foreshadowing? naw). Condor Battloids are used to provide the fighters with cover, however Lance doesn't believe the Invid will attack them in space....

...the hell?

So for a while the REF/RDF decided to not use Veritechs? Seems like in this case Wildstorm is trying too hard to fit in the unused Mospeada source material at the cost of rationality and plausibility in the actual Robotech continuity.

I stopped reading the Robotech comics after Antarctic Press did such a horrible job, looks like Wildstorm is still following in that tradition.

So for a while the REF/RDF decided to not use Veritechs?

no no no...i just didn't write every single line of dialog :) what i didn't add was that in their conversation Admiral Hunter could not spare any more variable mecha for the 10th Division so they were left with the nontransformable fighters and Condor Battloids (i guess similar to destroids?)

Doesn't really sound that interesting. If anything from the previews the artwork seems to be worse then the last

Again with the two story issues. Tommy in chat several times has all but gone out and said that he knows that having two stories decrease the quality of both, more so the main story.

i think the artwork is on the same level as the previous issues in terms of style (etc)

i do agree the quality of the storyline isn't top notch. i think when you're dealing with a defined universe doing these prequel type of stories as an after-thought just doesn't work. these comics are very lightweight and not what i would consider to be a must-buy. it really only appeals to the RT fans amongst us as i doubt even non-anime comic buyers would find much interest in them.

Wildcats and Stormwatch are somethings I'd like to check out but I don't know much about them other then reading a few people mentioning they was pretty good.What are they about? Though I'm not much of a comic fan outside of TPB of Transformers and maybe Batman.

I don't even think these stoies appeal to RT fans judging by the sales numbers which have been on the constant fall since #1 of the first series was released. If anything I'd say hardcore fans are the ones getting these or completist anyway. I don't expect much from the comics anyway. In the beginning they said they would make the comics in such a way that they will appeal to non-fans to bring them into the fandom. That was a lie since the comics are in no way shape or forum aimed at non-fans, well maybe the first series but nothing after that. So if that is the case they should have taken this as the time to fill in gaps or cover more important parts of the story that couldn't be done with animation. Instead we get stories fill with events that just about everyone could have guess and come up with if they took all of 5mins to think. Love and War is a great example of this, which turned out to be a bad summary of Max and Miriya in the Macross Saga part of Robotech.

Lancer is another thing that could have just been left to the imagination of fans. He comes in with a wave to retake Earth, fleet is destroyed and he crashes. He meets the girl named Carla and falls in love. He disguses himself as a woman to fool the Invid and not be turned in by the people of Earth, he then becomes a singer named Yellow Dancer and meets up with Scott and crew. Are the exact details of this need? No. There really isn't much to tell since it brings nothing new to the story nor does it have any groundbreaking effect on the character. That is all from the flashbacks in the actually animation. There is more shown as well detail wise. So why in the world do we need a comic to tell the story when the animation does a fine job of it, the same went for the story in Love and War. The animation did a much better job of telling the same story.

Waste of paper. I do wish someone could scan these comics though. I haven't bought one since #2 of Love and War. I'd just like to see what else is being done but don't want to waste my money on these things.

Edited by Effect

So for a while the REF/RDF decided to not use Veritechs?

no no no...i just didn't write every single line of dialog :) what i didn't add was that in their conversation Admiral Hunter could not spare any more variable mecha for the 10th Division so they were left with the nontransformable fighters and Condor Battloids (i guess similar to destroids?)

Even still, that reasoning has it's faults. Basically the REF just kept sending these paltry little attack waves against the Invid which continued to get destroyed. Would have been much more prudent to amass all the forces they could on Tirol and then attack (I realize they finally did do this, but even still...).

I agree with Effect that Wildstorm is doing these side stories in the wrong way. Making comics starring nothing but main characters from the TV series that cover points that were talked abotu or alluded to in the TV series is a waste. Just because we didn't see what happened, we know what happened. In that respect I think the old Eternity/Academy comics were really good. I loved Invid War; take a few minor characters and expand upon them, that works best for side stories.

As a Robotech fan for almost ten years, I'm beginning to seriously wish Harmony Gold had just forgotten about the series. Everything Yune has done has been crap and HG has just jerked the fans around with no decent products or new series. It pains me to say it... But with the way they're handling it, it'd be better to let it just die and live on with the fans.

i do agree the quality of the storyline isn't top notch. i think when you're dealing with a defined universe doing these prequel type of stories as an after-thought just doesn't work.

That's the problem with the whole thing. Instead of redefining their property positively and going out on a limb, they choke themselves with constraints from a universe that they already denied the existence. Why not design new variable fighters or take advantage of the hovertanks and the Ajax. They already mention those in the New Generation cartoons. Then they cry that no one would be interested in other toys other than the "veritechs" if they merchandise them but yet they refuse to exploit them. :rolleyes:

Condor Battloids?

The !&*@% things are variable fighter-bombers!

Were the Condors in Mospeada supposed to be variable? :huh:

But yeah, I agree it's kind of silly the the REF would regress to manufacturing non-transformable mecha.

Yes they are. The Condor is not only listed in the Robotech.com Infopedia as the VF-5 (its the heavy strike predecessor to the VF/B-9 Beta) its also at the Unofficial Robotech Reference Guide and a Japanese website cataloguing all the mecha from Tatsunoko shows.

Here are the links to two and the pasted section of the Robotech.com Beta Fighter file:

The Beta fighter was first tested as early as 2022 as the VF-X-7, but the tests were deemed a failure, and the Beta concept was shelved for over a decade, while the VF-5 Condor soldiered on as the Expeditionary Force's main strike plane. Eventually, the Beta concept was revived with significant updates and upgrades, and entered service as the VF-9 only a few years before the ill-fated Mars Division mission to reclaim Earth.

Unofficial Robotech Reference Guide Condor File

Tatsunoko Mecha Listings Page

The absolute pisser about this for me is the fact that we went through NUMEROUS arguments at Robotech.com and the RDF HQ Message Board about the Condor. Steve Yun was the one who pointed out to Pete Walker (IIRC) that the Condor entry in one of the Mospeada artbooks lists it as transformable. On top of that....look at the back of the mecha. Its got wings. Why the HELL would a Destroid/Battloid have wings? Tommy has proven that he is a bull in a china shop when it comes to Robotech's continuity. This is the same crap that got Robotech into trouble the first time around with The Sentinels supposedly becoming the main source of continuity....eventhough the plot holes were humongous (more than 25 at last count). :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

condorback.jpg

Why would the Condor need booster that (despite rts's efforts) looks impossible to connect in Armo-Fighter, that practically forces it to stay in Armo-Soldier.

I still believe in the early testbed/flawed transformation arguement.

Cyc

I've never seen that view before. I guess it does have wings, now that you mention it. God only knows what it'd transform into though. :D

Think clunky Alpha Fighter with a big snout.

Those people who dig the "The Alpha can't fly" debate will love the Condor's even clunkier frame and smaller wings :)

Cyc

Has anybody attempted to illustrate that monstrosity? I'd imagine it'd be one ugly fighter.

Yes....Matt Willis of the Unofficial Robotech Reference Guide did a series of jpegs of the Condor in Fighter configuration. Surprisingly, it looks something like a cross between a Beta and an Alpha. This is the first in a series of pics done by Matt. The rest are in the Condor file at the URRG.

VF/B-5 Condor Fighter/Bomber File

2condor.jpg

In chat yesterday, Tommy did admit that he could retcon this idea about it being a Battloid. Hopefully that will happen.

I can only see that one pic. The rest show up as the little red "x" of death. But otherwise, it looks as asstastic as I'd imagined the fighter mode to look. VF-5 Condor, you suck.

I'll have to find my old copy of the REF feild manual and refresh my memory on the Alpha transformation. Then if I'm feeling especially ambitious I'll have to use my drafting skills for good instead of evil, and come up with my own drawing.

If anything from the previews the artwork seems to be worse then the last two series. At least to me. The anime look they are trying for just doesn't look good and they really should have stuck with the previous art style.

I'd say that HG was lucky to get an artist on the caliber of Takeshi Miyazawa to pencil their series. (Im a bit biased here, but what the hell). Personally I think he is BETTER than this series, and should be either doing his own comic book (like Sidekicks), or a major top of the line series. Remember that he only did the character frames in Robotech, not the Mecha. He just got back from several years in Japan and HG was lucky to nab him right off the bat to do this series. Here is his website... Its pretty impressive art.

http://miyazawa_t.tripod.com/skgoodies/index.html