Jump to content

MAC MK II Monster, 3D printed at 1:285 scale


Firesped
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is a sketchup file floating around for the MAC MK II monster. I've been working on it to make it 3D printable for a while. Then about a month or so ago, grimmindustries on thingiverse put out an articulated version.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1461419

post-29891-0-94327200-1462833732_thumb.pngpost-29891-0-27561400-1462833759_thumb.png

(note the other monster pictures in wip 2-21-16 was from Macross VOXP)

I had printed out a prototype of the original file for the torso in ABS on my Raise3d N2 printer.

post-29891-0-90668000-1462833429_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-88828600-1462833432_thumb.jpg

post-29891-0-10098000-1462833437_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-71780800-1462833443_thumb.jpg

post-29891-0-06755900-1462833447_thumb.jpg

many print issues, the door ended up breaking off. I was working on fixing it up.

grimm put out his version and I tried rescaling it down but it wasn't reliable enough to get the scale correct. the parts didn't fit together right.

post-29891-0-98778000-1462833895_thumb.jpg

I discovered though I could import the STL files back into sketchup and rescale it in there.

post-29891-0-48599000-1462833754_thumb.png

Layed out the parts and printed them off. Far cheaper then shapeways.

post-29891-0-84787000-1462833898_thumb.jpg

post-29891-0-91983900-1462833902_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-36023900-1462833906_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-36023900-1462833906_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-26768800-1462833910_thumb.jpg

Ended up having to super glue it together because the parts were still too loose and I had to use a dremal tool on a number of the joint sockets to make them fit.

Made an 80mm base for it.

post-29891-0-76566500-1462833913_thumb.jpg

I laid out a battle force of the various factions I have stuff for to take some pictures.

post-29891-0-06561100-1462833918_thumb.jpg

Did a Monster verse BT as well to show the scale of it to BT mechs

post-29891-0-85292000-1462833949_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-84188800-1462833955_thumb.jpg

Close up of it before I painted it.

post-29891-0-82458400-1462833941_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-85292000-1462833949_thumb.jpgpost-29891-0-84188800-1462833955_thumb.jpg

and painted.

post-29891-0-59631600-1462833959_thumb.jpg

It still has many issues which have to do with how my printer is printing it, I'm working on enhancing the torso section by splitting it in two. The joint parts in his model don't fit in their sockets completely. Not sure if it is an issue with my printer or his model. I am going to add details below the loading door and add in the front access door in the front.

Here is how I split the original in two to fix it,

post-29891-0-39191700-1462833751_thumb.png

post-29891-0-08763800-1462833928_thumb.jpg

post-29891-0-02266500-1462833933_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...