Glass Display Case?

liulin04

I use the Ikea Klingsbo but they cannot be placed directly side by side as the Ikea Detolf can. Also the Detolf are about half the price and only give away a small amount of overall display space but also have greater shelf heights which allow for Bandai Valkyrie's to be able to be displayed in battroid on their included display stands. The Klingsbo shelf heights are lower and somewhat shallow. I have half dozen Klingsbo cabinets but I would have preferred the Detolf. Also you can buy directly from Ikea the lighting kit for the Detolf as apposed the Klingsbo which does not support it meaning you have to do a custom lighting setup which is less desirable.

The Detolf is your best bet.

Edited by spanner76

I've been looking for a large display case replacement for my Detolfs as well for the past few years, but I can't find any place local that has the sort of thing I'm looking for.

The cheapest thing I've found online that is like what I want is here for $460, but I don't know what the shipping cost is and I would need to submit a pre-order or something to get a quote.

The second cheapest I found online was this place for $495, but shipping + taxes come out to be an additional $207.

Still trying to find a local place because shipping is just prohibitively expensive as these things are around 200lbs, but it's looking like I may be stuck with Detolfs also unless I find a place that can make custom glass cabinets at a decent price.

I prefer this Jajan display case to those available domestically:

83led02.jpg

It seems specially designed for displaying figures. I like it because of its integrated LED lighting and because the glass doors have no frame, maximizing visibility. It's also possible to mount mirrors on the back wall, which gives the impression of a larger space and also reflects light from the rear. The case linked is the largest of the available options, but there is a variety of cases available with different sizes and features.

The cases are shipped flat pack and are assembled like IKEA furniture, with similar quality. Shipping to North America is expensive. Do not attempt to ship the fragile mirrors; instead, have mirrors custom cut locally.

With shipping, these cases are more expensive than local options, but I felt it was worth it because as far as I can tell, there is nothing similar available in North America. All told with shipping, the cost was similar to one or two Arcadia releases.

83led02.jpg

It seems specially designed for displaying figures. I like it because of its integrated LED lighting and because the glass doors have no frame, maximizing visibility. It's also possible to mount mirrors on the back wall, which gives the impression of a larger space and also reflects light from the rear. The case linked is the largest of the available options, but there is a variety of cases available with different sizes and features.

The cases are shipped flat pack and are assembled like IKEA furniture, with similar quality. Shipping to North America is expensive. Do not attempt to ship the fragile mirrors; instead, have mirrors custom cut locally.

With shipping, these cases are more expensive than local options, but I felt it was worth it because as far as I can tell, there is nothing similar available in North America. All told with shipping, the cost was similar to one or two Arcadia releases.

You could make something like this as an Ikea hack. Get a while Billy bookshelf, attach a mirror or reflective surface to the particleboard backing, install lights and glass doors.

I use Detolfs. They are the most cost effective solution, though I would agree that they aren't necessarily the best. Unfortunately, anything better is going to be a lot more expensive. Any standard retail furniture place that has a nice big glass curio with the features most of us want is going to be expensive -- like at least $500, and probably more.

83led02.jpg

is there a website where you csn order these? Edited by Mommar

I clicked on the pic and it sent me to the link. Maybe gotta order via proxy? I never tried Rakuten. Dunno how much it weighs but shipping is gonna be pricey via EMS.

Edited by wmkjr

I ordered through FromJapan, which is a proxy service. It worked out fine but was pricey.

I purchased the 29cm deep version, but in retrospect should have gone with the deeper 39cm version to accommodate larger valkyries in fighter mode.

Edited by chaff.g

I clicked on the pic and it sent me to the link. Maybe gotta order via proxy? I never tried Rakuten. Dunno how much it weighs but shipping is gonna be pricey via EMS.

Hmm, didn't go there from my phone... Anyway, Rakuten bought out Buy.com several years ago.

Too bad it's dimensions are pretty much all wrong for me. Not tall enough, deep enough or wide enough.

Edited by Mommar

I was thinking of using something like what this site has: http://www.slstoredisplays.com/cat-48-1-14-0/glass-displays.htm... Glass can go up to 16" x 48" in size which should "git'er'dun", right?

I could be naive, but feel like I should be able to build whatever I need from that... The IKEA ones look convenient though.

Edited by Test_Pilot_2

Did you look through this thread? I know it's long but it has nice setups in there and many Detolf setups to look at to give you an idea on what can fit. Detolfs definitely are the way to go if you want an economical way to display your valks, especially if they go on sale. Also if you don't mind used try Craigslist.

I thought that looked familiar!

post-12411-0-64870400-1451978110_thumb.jpg

I got one with no mirror, and no lighting; that's probably why I only paid about 1/3 of that price.