Yamato's Rainbow Canopy

QEssential

No, I believe it's the rainbow coating itself that might crack. The plastic canopy is perfectly fine. I don't know what might cause the coating to crack, but you can't fix it once it does. You either have to live with it or remove it.

No, I believe it's the rainbow coating itself that might crack. The plastic canopy is perfectly fine. I don't know what might cause the coating to crack, but you can't fix it once it does. You either have to live with it or remove it.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

So how common is this problem?

Wow! That's bad!

But overall am I right to say it's an isolated problem? My VF-1S is fine too. :D

I have slightly over 100+ of every yamato, and this is the only one with this problem. Some people have similar problem as well, but not a big problem. As many has said it's only the coating inside that get bubbling, so just peel it off then it's as good as new like the later version without rainbow coating.

I've noticed, it's not really a cracking but a wrinkling. Some canopies seem to have a heavier coat than others and those tend to be the one's that will wrinkle. My Milia 1J is HEAVILY rainbow tinted and shows a very tiny amount of wrinkle but it's still good. The other four yammies have a very light sort of rainbow tint and haven't experienced any sort of wrinkling or damage, to say nothing of that extreme photo Vi-RS posted.

DSC00770.jpg

yuck.. that's one of the more worse examples I've seen in a while. I wonder what causes the coating to come off? Sunlight? Poor prepping before application?

You could probably just scratch it all off with your pinky finger nail now that its at such an advance state of decay..

I never had one of those. But are you guys saying that it can be removed, correct?

yeah I read somewhere once that who ever it was simply just scratched away at it (which was similar to this just not as bad) and the rest of it came off fairly easily.. Personally I have never tried it nor would I ever attempt it. I have one VF-1 rainbow canopy which shows the slightest signs of cracks beginning but its not very noticeable. Thankfully!

I never had one of those. But are you guys saying that it can be removed, correct?

There were a few threads about the subject:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27223&st=0&p=641729&hl=Canopy&fromsearch=1entry641729

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=38491&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I've never tried it myself, but I'd be interested to know what works best.

Just experimenting and found that a wet cotton bud (q-tip) and dish washing liquid (detergent) seems to work pretty well :)

Graham

there you go! that's an idea.. Although someone did mention straight after that it didn't work so well so im guessing that it might work better on a badly peeling canopy which has loosened off a fair bit than one which is only starting to crack off.. still washing up detergent is pretty mild so no danger trying it.

DAAAAANG!!! That's the worst cracking I've ever seen! Were you able to remove it, Vi-RS?

Yes I have the coating removed fairly easily.

yuck.. that's one of the more worse examples I've seen in a while. I wonder what causes the coating to come off? Sunlight? Poor prepping before application?

You could probably just scratch it all off with your pinky finger nail now that its at such an advance state of decay..

The coating simply flaked off by rubbing it with finger since a big chunk is bubbling, clean the rest with damp cloth. This one came as it is the day I took it out from box, so I believe it's bad prepping before application.