PS2 slide card question

rdenham

I would like to get a dummy proof description of how to use "slide card" in a US PS2. I have seen some posts about using "slide cards" however I have never fully understood what I need to do.

I know that the "slide card" uses the same Swap Magic Boot Disc's that you need for a mod chip and the advantage of the "slide card" is that you don't have to open the case and void your warranty; the I thing I don't get with what you do with the other part which I circled in the picture below. Since the info on the slide card says you do not have to break the warranty sicker by opening the systems case, do you to insert the circled item into the controller in the same way that you insert a memory card?

post-6-1072568996.jpg

I'm curious about that myself. If it is a safe solution, I might try that myself, so I can get the import Macross game.

Alright. Since I HAD to pick up a slide card to play Chojikku Yousai Macross I'll help as much as I can.

First off.......you DO need to perform some SLIGHT surgery before you use the Slide Card.

You need to remove the CD tray door. That's all.

1. I guess it'll work best if your PS2 is flat (but it'll work vertically too).

2. Once the DVD boot disc is inserted you'll see the PLEASE INSERT DISC screen.

3. This is where you FIRST insert the slide card and manually eject the tray.

4. SWAP the DVD boot disc for the IMPORT or BACKUP and push the tray back into the PS2

5. This is important. You need to RE-insert the slide card and close the lever (that lets the PS2 know a game is ready to be played)

6. After this is all done hit X on the controller. If you see a BLUE border around the PLEAES INSERT DISC screen then it worked.

Sorry to make it sound so hard but it's pretty damned simple once you get the hang of it. :blink:

Alright. Since I HAD to pick up a slide card to play Chojikku Yousai Macross I'll help as much as I can.

First off.......you DO need to perform some SLIGHT surgery before you use the Slide Card.

You need to remove the CD tray door. That's all.

1. I guess it'll work best if your PS2 is flat (but it'll work vertically too).

2. Once the DVD boot disc is inserted you'll see the PLEASE INSERT DISC screen.

3. This is where you FIRST insert the slide card and manually eject the tray.

4. SWAP the DVD boot disc for the IMPORT or BACKUP and push the tray back into the PS2

5. This is important. You need to RE-insert the slide card and close the lever (that lets the PS2 know a game is ready to be played)

6. After this is all done hit X on the controller. If you see a BLUE border around the PLEAES INSERT DISC screen then it worked.

Sorry to make it sound so hard but it's pretty damned simple once you get the hang of it. :blink:

So you basically force the tray to open and close?

Not sure I like that idea.

Its extremlly simple and so far has caused no problems to my PS2 and I have been using it since september

what you do is

1. You know the little PS logo on the tray? take it off BAM thats all you need to do to your PS2

1.5- now you should a small gap that is where the slide card goes in.

2. Put in boot cd

3. close tray (with the button)

4. Put the slide card in with the hook to your right on the left side of the PS2 and gently push the card toward your right (assuming the eject reset buttons are on that side)

5. once you are at the end and can't push it anymore gently pull the tray out

6. swap the boot disc with the import

7. push it gently back in all the way

8. ULTRA TRICKY PART!!!!!! ONLY DIFFICLUT PART READ CAREFULLY!!!!

ok now you put the slide card on the left of the PS2 again. As you push it over you will come into a little resistance.

- what I do is move the slide card over it then pull it back to the left

9. PUSH X

10. PLAY

Also when I bought my slidecard I got instructions and pictures to help me.

It is a VERY simple process once you learn how to do it.

Doesn't sound so bad then. I was just worried about ruining the motor.

Redundant question I'm sure, but where can someone find one of these at?

Edited by Anubis

Just to note, there have been unsubstantiated reports that it does wear out the motor. As of yet, I haven't seen anyone flat out say "I wore out my motor." It's more like "a friend of a friend wore out his motor" or "it should wear out your motor." Caveat emptor.

I'd be more worried about the gearing. It's having force applied to it from the opposite direction it was designed to take it from.

The fact that Sony hasn't redesigned hte PS2 to use a worm gear just to defeat this mildly surprises me.

Well considering I repair PS2s as sort of a side hobby, I wouldnt consider myself an expert but I am probably pretty close to it by default. Will the slide card burn out the tray eject motor....Yes but so will using the PS2 normally over time. The slide card method does however put more stress on the drawer motor but not enough to warrant a major concern IMO. Out of the countless number of PS2s I have worked on I would say maybe 4 or 5 that I could possibly attribute to the slide card as possible cause of failure. Of course also keep in mind that a ver 1.0 - 3.0 and some 4.0 PS2s are literally timebombs waiting to fail (at one time I had so many ver 1.0 and 2.0 PS2s that were dead its not even funny). I also heard about the alternate solution by using a fliptop case along with the slide card to "bypass" putting additional stress on the motor. Since I personally have never used this method it may be a better option. The best option and also the most expensive would be the Mod chip, newer chips claim not to strain the laser or laser motor while older chips were probably the cause of death to many of the PS2s I worked on. I personally have a Ver 7.0 PS2 modded with the DSM3(?) chip and I have not seen any sign of problems. Be warned though Installation of a Mod chip is a difficult task and even though I have done a few of them I still dont enjoy it. So for those of you out there that do...congrats better you then me :).

Rob :ph34r:

my advice, (i own a slide card) get the flip-top cover, it's not as expensive in the long run!

Where can those be found at? They're not that hard to install, right?

Is it just the boot CD, and then open the top to swap discs?