My latest 1/60 Yamato kit

Kinzoku VF

Hey everyone,

Well..haven't posted here for a bit...and as I'm close to finishing my last 1/60 kit, I thought I'd do a quick post. The 1st one, I built relatively quickly...and the result wasn't all that...The second one, took me longer (still a few touches that need to be done...).

Essentially for that 'VF1-74 A', I mixed up 3 themes: Macross the first, Macross Frontier and a Cannon Fodder. Anyway, here are the last pics. (Just realised that I did not put any pics of the finished battroid mode..( -_-);.

Not a pro-builder or anything by the way! So be gentle! Been painting for years, on/off...I used to be into Role Playing games D&D,Mechwarrior,Warhammer etc as a kid, then Gundams about 24 years ago...And other stuff...Mostly robots.(Votoms Repaints, some Vinyls figures etc.)

Recently got back into it with my ever-growing Macross obsession!!. (And the crazy Yamato V2 prices...)As toys, I prefer the 1/60 V1 hands down (die-cast content, more toy-looking etc)...but as kits the V2s are great.

Here goes:

More detailed pics on here:

http://oldotaku.weebly.com/bits-and-bobs.html

Will post some battroid pics later. Hope you like it (Or not!!)

post-27197-0-70260700-1391801916_thumb.jpg

Glad you like the theme, took me a while for the 2nd one. m(_ _)m

As far as paint is concerned, I initially was going to airbrush the lot. But...hadn't used mine in a while, and it died!...So instead I went for Tamiya Spray paints.(great finish on them)
Main thing is preparation, (cleaning,undercoat,clearcoat etc) before applying the pain as obviously, it's not going to adhere as well to the plastic.
I use thin layered coats. Wait to dry/cure...start again...to build up thickness without the colour getting too dark or the paint looking blotchy. That way, it's much more resistant.

Only issue whilst layering...you 'waste' a lot of paint using that technique...(I do anyway)

On other models I built (a Patlabor that I messed up springs to mind..) I used some clear varnish...it made the whole kit look terrible. I have various types/brands of varnish but never pleased with the outcome, maybe I'm doing something wrong?!

Anyway, to answer the question,yes some pieces are prone to scratching. But they are mainly the 'connectors tabs'. The worst ones are the little tabs that hold the legs into the body (good thing about those, you cannot really see them. And the metal bar in the middle that rubs the 2 plastic parts that holds it (not as bad as I thought it would though!). But again, minor and cannot really be seen.

Other than that, it's pretty good. Main thing is to prepare the piece properly before paint.
So I'd say 'yes' (after all that rambling....lol), it witholds transformation/handling pretty well.

There used to be a guy on Macross World (Kye) that started a 1/60 Yamato kit, he did loads of mods everywhere, added lights etc...it was looking amazing! But real life called and he stopped.Hope he gets back to finish it as it looked amazing:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=39043&page=2

I think that first 1A is really cool looking. The second, that apes the "the first" style, is a very interesting idea but I feel copying The First is always a failure. There's just too much Yellow on the back of it in fighter mode. If you had kept a thin strip along the part that becomes the chest and left the back half as black with black stripes I feel like it would have been a home run. But then, I've always felt the The First style paint scheme was too messy personally.

Hey Mommar, yeah..I know what you mean by too much yellow...I was told in battroid mode that the yellow lines at the back make it look like it's wearing a bikini string...(>_<);. Still, it was a fun build! And always appreciate constructive critisism (as opposed to 'it sucks, don't like it!!').

One thing though, I'm going to start another one....This time I want to go a bit more 'Militaria'.. dark green, olive drab, dark brown...Thing is...I'm still not sure about a scheme or pattern. One thing I want to avoid if I can is 'standard VF scheme'.

Was contemplating Digital-camo, but actually not a fan of it...Same with 'Standard camo'..not very original.I prefer geometrical shape,lines patterns one the fuselage.

Any ideas, suggestion would be appreciated. I know, ultimately, it's my work, and up to me, but ideas are always welcome. For now, I only have the colors in mind..nothing else...

There used to be a guy on Macross World (Kye) that started a 1/60 Yamato kit, he did loads of mods everywhere, added lights etc...it was looking amazing! But real life called and he stopped.Hope he gets back to finish it as it looked amazing:

You make it sound like he left, he's still around, waiting for the right time to make us dream again. ahhaha :p

Cool customs!! I like the 5Grand anniversary VF-1 scheme.

I feel the yellow is a bit too bright on the The First style fokker low viz, still cool none the less. Where are the battroid pics?