This last episode was trippy to the max. The visuals and OST were completely out there. I wonder what Watanabe smoked for this one.

I love the episodic character of this series. Every episode is it's own world altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't know that a French guy had worked on Space Dandy and is actually a full Satelight employee. The following interview with him actually explains what it's like to work with Kawamori so it's an interesting read for Macross fans.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2014-04-14/the-space-dandy/part-i-thomas-romain

I knew about him and his involvement in Space Dandy (being french helps of course ;) ). First heard of him when he was working on Oban Star Racer but I wasn't aware he actually worked with Kawamori himself!

There's another gaijin worth of notice currently working on Space Dandy, his name is Bahi JD and his animation work is mindblowing. He's basically behind the crazyness that happnd at the end of episode 1.

There's an interview of him here (he also did some work on Kids on the slope) :

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/interview-with-bahi-jd

and he's got a TumblR :

http://bahijd.tumblr.com/

Thomas Romain is one of the 3 French men in SATELIGHT. The others are Stanislas Brunet and Yann Le Gall.

I found their names in BASQUASH!, Bodacious Space Pirates, AKB0048 and so on.

I am following Romain's twitter account. He tweets in French, English and even in Japanese.

His Japanese is so good.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, Thomas Romain did the spaceship designs.

Bahi JD's work is so distinctively dynamic that that is why some people earlier in the thread thought the episode he directed was animated by a different studio. His work on Kids on the Slope is also distinctive because I believe he handled one specific scene (the school festival performance, IIRC) and you can see the change in style within the episode, which some people thought was jarring.

Space Dandy basically exists as a platform for a wide variety of artists young and veteran to show off their talents and creativity. If you love the art of animation, this is a show to keep an eye on. The staff list for the next season has been revealed, and it is basically a list of the hottest animators right now. Of most interest to Watanabe fans is that Toshihiro Kawamoto of Cowboy Bebop fame is back!

I tried watching the Toonami dubbed version, it was awful so I watched the original subbed version and loved it. The show is ridiculous, lol. Brings me back to the Dirty Pair/Crusher Joe anime of the 1980s.

Yup, 100% agree.

Yeah, Thomas Romain did the spaceship designs.

Bahi JD's work is so distinctively dynamic that that is why some people earlier in the thread thought the episode he directed was animated by a different studio. His work on Kids on the Slope is also distinctive because I believe he handled one specific scene (the school festival performance, IIRC) and you can see the change in style within the episode, which some people thought was jarring.

Space Dandy basically exists as a platform for a wide variety of artists young and veteran to show off their talents and creativity. If you love the art of animation, this is a show to keep an eye on. The staff list for the next season has been revealed, and it is basically a list of the hottest animators right now. Of most interest to Watanabe fans is that Toshihiro Kawamoto of Cowboy Bebop fame is back!

Thanks for your input, Renato. I'm even more eagerly waiting for season 2 now!

I've only seen a couple episodes of Kids on the slope and it was great but I missed most other airings but I'm definitely going to catch up. I didn't know BahiJD actually directed a whole episode of Space Dandy though. Are you sure about this? Is it the one with the plant people?

Yeah, it's the plant planet one. In general, 演出 means "performance", but as a credit it basically means director for a particular episode, while the actual "Director" (監督) credit is given to the person in charge of production overall, so Watanabe is the "General/overall Director" (総監督) and Shingo Natsume is "Director" of the show. Basically, every episode has a different "director" (演出 guy).

• 4 weeks later...