Your most recent Macross or toy purchase! General thread.

Gakken85

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Good to see another well rounded collection. For the most part I only keep my vintage items mint in packaging. In the past I have kept a lot of figures mint in packaging that are locked away in storage free from sunlight and humidity. It's only when I have had to check back years later to see some of those collectibles end up with "figure rot". No matter how much you intend on looking after these figures they still only have a shelf life. Not every figure you buy will be valuable, not even in the future. I stopped buying multiples of the same figure long ago. I might do it for an exceptional figure, but I am not investing into collectibles to sell in the future. I would much rather put that money into other figures or just keep my money for more useful things in life. I have never needed to "army build" with toy lines or collect every single figure that comes out. I just collect figures that appeal to me. It's good when you can buy what you want online. It is also satisfying collecting those hard earned items from faraway places like travelling interstate or overseas. 

Edited by shazam

5 hours ago, shazam said:

Good to see another well rounded collection. For the most part I only keep my vintage items mint in packaging. In the past I have kept a lot of figures mint in packaging that are locked away in storage free from sunlight and humidity. It's only when I have had to check back years later to see some of those collectibles end up with "figure rot". No matter how much you intend on looking after these figures they still only have a shelf life. Not every figure you buy will be valuable, not even in the future. I stopped buying multiples of the same figure long ago. I might do it for an exceptional figure, but I am not investing into collectibles to sell in the future. I would much rather put that money into other figures or just keep my money for more useful things in life. I have never needed to "army build" with toy lines or collect every single figure that comes out. I just collect figures that appeal to me. It's good when you can buy what you want online. It is also satisfying collecting those hard earned items from faraway places like travelling interstate or overseas. 

With the exception of a few who are clearly in it to buy extras to sell for profit, I think most true collectors are buying extras for the sake of collecting them. I know one big reason I started buying extras is based on nostalgia, which is what most of this is all about. However, in this case it is a kind of negative nostalgia when I ruined some of my toys as a kid and wish I had an extra. Knowing how delicate some toys are and the thought of ever needing replacement parts or just because I really like something, I got into the habit of buying extras. Now that it's got to the point where I am beyond space threshold and also found that I have rarely broken any toys that I wasn't able to resolve right away, I'm pretty much done with multiples. Unless it's something really, really, really special that I definitely want extras of.

Originally I only picked up extras of certain favorites, usually for alternate display options.

When Bandai entered the arena, I started buying extras for two more reasons:
1. Bandai does not offer replacement parts, and good luck getting a replacement product at all when they purposefully keep their production numbers so low
2. Certain webshops have proven to be unreliable in actually delivering what you pay for.  Sometimes I order from multiple sources just to make sure I get one at all.

In the case of things like the VF-171, I bought extras just to have spare parts to repair the ones that disintegrate. :rolleyes: 

While I don't have a good display space setup yet, I do plan for how I would like to display things, so that usually means at least two of each valk for multiple modes.  Certain favorites I'll grab more for alternate loadouts or display options, or just to have extras of certain features, like the pile of Bandai YF-19s I picked up so I could have missiles to load every other naked Bandai valk (it's my favorite anyhow, so it's not like it was just for the missiles :p).

I have reached the point where many of the multiples don't really make sense anymore though, and I am considering thinning the collection.  I've never bought things with the intention of later selling them, but the idea that some of them could serve as a resource in an emergency has always been in the back of my mind.

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

With the exception of a few who are clearly in it to buy extras to sell for profit, I think most true collectors are buying extras for the sake of collecting them. I know one big reason I started buying extras is based on nostalgia, which is what most of this is all about. However, in this case it is a kind of negative nostalgia when I ruined some of my toys as a kid and wish I had an extra. Knowing how delicate some toys are and the thought of ever needing replacement parts or just because I really like something, I got into the habit of buying extras. Now that it's got to the point where I am beyond space threshold and also found that I have rarely broken any toys that I wasn't able to resolve right away, I'm pretty much done with multiples. Unless it's something really, really, really special that I definitely want extras of.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Originally I only picked up extras of certain favorites, usually for alternate display options.

When Bandai entered the arena, I started buying extras for two more reasons:
1. Bandai does not offer replacement parts, and good luck getting a replacement product at all when they purposefully keep their production numbers so low
2. Certain webshops have proven to be unreliable in actually delivering what you pay for.  Sometimes I order from multiple sources just to make sure I get one at all.

In the case of things like the VF-171, I bought extras just to have spare parts to repair the ones that disintegrate. :rolleyes: 

While I don't have a good display space setup yet, I do plan for how I would like to display things, so that usually means at least two of each valk for multiple modes.  Certain favorites I'll grab more for alternate loadouts or display options, or just to have extras of certain features, like the pile of Bandai YF-19s I picked up so I could have missiles to load every other naked Bandai valk (it's my favorite anyhow, so it's not like it was just for the missiles :p).

I have reached the point where many of the multiples don't really make sense anymore though, and I am considering thinning the collection.  I've never bought things with the intention of later selling them, but the idea that some of them could serve as a resource in an emergency has always been in the back of my mind.

A couple of reasons why I decided not to keep up with buying two or more figures of the same item.

Chronocidal "In the case of things like the VF-171, I bought extras just to have spare parts to repair the ones that disintegrate."

I had two each of the VF-171 EX and the VF-171 NIghtmare valks. While I sold off both VF-171 EX figures I kept VF-171 NIghtmare valks. One of the leg joints locked up and could not be moved back into position, leaving the figure in mid transformation. The other version was left as a display in fighter mode, never transformed. The moment I go to transform this valk it starts to fall apart.  Both items were thrown into the bin and I kept the weapons sets.

I had two each of the Yamato Garlands from Megazone 23 part 1 and 2. All of those figures fell to pieces with little effort.

Those are a couple of examples in the hope that buying multiples will not solve your collection problems. I think if you only intend on displaying an item and occasionally picking up that item to handle, then you don't need another one to sit in a box doing nothing but occupying a space in time. There is a good chance that a better product will be produced in the near future.  You then have an item that is sitting in a box that is pristine and worth far less than what you had purchased it for. 

Certainly with transformable toys like Macross valks and Transformers it is an exception to buy two or more so you can show each mode in a display. I would not buy extras just for keeps sake.

Edited by shazam

Masters of the Universe Masterverse Catra (Princess of Power) and POP MART - Garfield Day Dream Series Blind Box Figure - Garfield Bubble Gum Fighter. https://www.popmart.com/au/collection?id=50

CatraGarfield1asm.jpg.bd0ace3e19d998b082726c094c3a4fab.jpg

Garfield Bubble Gum Fighter - https://www.popmart.com/au/products/172/Garfield-Dream-Series

11_JOpT31Dmcx_1200x1200.jpg.1b9acec175e38a77038e741e29532c7d.jpg

I was hoping to get the Garfield Wooden Sword Pirate figure

3_O4tIzRvl3c_1200x1200.jpg.7e811ea7c69d609b54c1c48fcef87593.jpg

17_AAQqypxGI0_1200x1200.jpg.38e47884fdf5ef9d7e8995adb0fe524b.jpg15_YkouDgDG1u_1200x1200.jpg.78ac88bcaf6e60df93523dabc898a52e.jpg

Edited by shazam

8 hours ago, shazam said:

A couple of reasons why I decided not to keep up with buying two or more figures of the same item.

Chronocidal "In the case of things like the VF-171, I bought extras just to have spare parts to repair the ones that disintegrate."

I had two each of the VF-171 EX and the VF-171 NIghtmare valks. While I sold off both VF-171 EX figures I kept VF-171 NIghtmare valks. One of the leg joints locked up and could not be moved back into position, leaving the figure in mid transformation. The other version was left as a display in fighter mode, never transformed. The moment I go to transform this valk it starts to fall apart.  Both items were thrown into the bin and I kept the weapons sets.

I had two each of the Yamato Garlands from Megazone 23 part 1 and 2. All of those figures fell to pieces with little effort.

Those are a couple of examples in the hope that buying multiples will not solve your collection problems. I think if you only intend on displaying an item and occasionally picking up that item to handle, then you don't need another one to sit in a box doing nothing but occupying a space in time. There is a good chance that a better product will be produced in the near future.  You then have an item that is sitting in a box that is pristine and worth far less than what you had purchased it for. 

Certainly with transformable toys like Macross valks and Transformers it is an exception to buy two or more so you can show each mode in a display. I would not buy extras just for keeps sake.

I've only really purchased multiples when I'm troop building or getting extras for custom work/parts.  Heck, there's a number of single figures/items I still have up in the attic or sitting in a closet that I just don't have room to display anymore.

And you're right:  unless you're dealing with the YF-21 😜 or a TV SDF-1, someone will usually make a better version of the toy you got sometime in the future.

So today finally received my Optimus Primes all the way from Japan, and the first thing I said when I grab the boxes why are these so hefty?, so I opened up C02 and 44S, and OMG!! the quality and the heft  just blew me away!, I thought for 44S was going to be  kinda hollow and light since it doesn't have electronics inside but NO! I was so  wrong and Im just too damn amazed of it, C02 is just as amazing the quality in plastic, the heft and colors are too damn good, in some video review of the missing links Optimus they said is like a Masterpiece quality, and I can literally confirm that, is just too damn good, so happy right now. I guess will leave C01 in its box for now :D  

image.jpeg.22cf64629d4458ccf6a188c68f86760f.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

So today finally received my Optimus Primes all the way from Japan, and the first thing I said when I grab the boxes why are these so hefty?, so I opened up C02 and 44S, and OMG!! the quality and the heft  just blew me away!, I thought for 44S was going to be  kinda hollow and light since it doesn't have electronics inside but NO! I was so  wrong and Im just too damn amazed of it, C02 is just as amazing the quality in plastic, the heft and colors are too damn good, in some video review of the missing links Optimus they said is like a Masterpiece quality, and I can literally confirm that, is just too damn good, so happy right now. I guess will leave C01 in its box for now :D  

image.jpeg.22cf64629d4458ccf6a188c68f86760f.jpeg

Nice!! 🤩

On 2/27/2024 at 10:59 AM, grogall said:

Drugs finally arrived from LP, With Fedex fracking up the delivery 4 times, A month after ordering I finally get what I paid for....🤬 In four different packages 🤒 

image.jpeg.1ff0af44bf4430c3fdcbe3c75e7c6f5d.jpeg

Are you shipping something else we should know about?  Maybe a Breaking Bad kind of thing.... ?

DC Universe & Masters of the Universe Classics Exclusive Action Figure 2 Pack Superman Vs He-Man. The Masters of the Universe logo dropped to the bottom of the package when I got it home. 🤔SupermanHeMan1asm.jpg.118a6cebf9cb1603aa0fcde91a4d323f.jpg

3 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

Are you shipping something else we should know about?  Maybe a Breaking Bad kind of thing.... ?

Nooo! This is the only addiction im getting help with... 🤪

On 3/9/2024 at 5:25 AM, shazam said:

I feel most collectors go through roughly the same stages in their collecting journey. In no particular order - from tentatively dipping toes, going all in, starting small displays, migrate to whole display rooms, picking up multiples, filling in companion pieces, overcoming the mental pain of broken ones, to finally facing the dreaded running-out-of-space problems that forces one to finally confront the anguish of having to pare down collection lol.

At each stage I finally identify with old posts that I previously read from collectors who have been in this game longer than me (this forum archives old threads well, it's nice to go through old conversations, something modern social media is really bad at).

I'm at the culling collection stage now, very reluctantly at first, but it's pretty easy to sell off the duplicates but moving to sell the only copies I have of something is the next mental block. 

Edited by MKT

I seem to be culling too, but from the front end.  Meaning I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on purchasing anything new.

There’s a couple of opportunities out there:  one a personal semi-holy grail and another action figure where the price finally dropped.

But I’m finding reasons to not purchase ‘em (along with the dwindling space factor).

2 hours ago, MKT said:

I feel most collectors go through roughly the same stages in their collecting journey. In no particular order - from tentatively dipping toes, going all in, starting small displays, migrate to whole display rooms, picking up multiples, filling in companion pieces, overcoming the mental pain of broken ones, to finally facing the dreaded running-out-of-space problems that forces one to finally confront the anguish of having to pare down collection lol.

At each stage I finally identify with old posts that I previously read from collectors who have been in this game longer than me (this forum archives old threads well, it's nice to go through old conversations, something modern social media is really bad at).

I'm at the culling collection stage now, very reluctantly at first, but it's pretty easy to sell off the duplicates but moving to sell the only copies I have of something is the next mental block. 

2 hours ago, Mog said:

I seem to be culling too, but from the front end.  Meaning I’m hesitant to pull the trigger on purchasing anything new.

There’s a couple of opportunities out there:  one a personal semi-holy grail and another action figure where the price finally dropped.

But I’m finding reasons to not purchase ‘em (along with the dwindling space factor).

It might seem harsh to sell off items that you have kept for so long and have gone out of your way to obtain. I sold off all of my singles and duplicates from Bandai, Yamato, ARII and so on. All of my vintage Takatoku figures, art books, anime cels the list goes on. All were sold off to make way for moving house. When I did move I knew that I had enough space for display items only. So when I had finished moving and setting up my displays the way I wanted them, I then sold off any left over products. I did not want to see a bunch of expensive toys sitting in storage and not being put to good use. The space I have left is for picking up items I truly want and not just because I think I need it.

Edited by shazam

2 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

85315B08-04DD-4008-9C9B-A360BA836B7B.jpeg.a2e94b6ed9843dcd946f0771622fd951.jpeg

Another Star Wars MGS B-Wing.

Why all the buying updates? You seem to want to share every purchase no matter how many times a day you do it. I don't understand why every purchase needs to be shared. Well done to you if you need that encouragement in advance for your next purchase.

7 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Good night.

Just asking for your motives my friend. If you love collecting that much by all means. It's your time and money at the end of the day.  I just don't understand the frequency of constant updates. 

5 hours ago, shazam said:

Just asking for your motives my friend. If you love collecting that much by all means. It's your time and money at the end of the day.  I just don't understand the frequency of constant updates. 

I might be going out on a limb but did you read the title and description of this thread?

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I might be going out on a limb but did you read the title and description of this thread?

Just saying you could show what you have purchased as a toy haul over a couple of days or even a week. If you are buying that often then you don't need to update twice daily especially if you have purchased the same item a few days ago.  This isn't a score based thread on how often you can purchase. Quantity means more when you show it less often

1 hour ago, shazam said:

Just saying you could show what you have purchased as a toy haul over a couple of days or even a week. If you are buying that often then you don't need to update twice daily especially if you have purchased the same item a few days ago.  This isn't a score based thread on how often you can purchase. Quantity means more when you show it less often

You might not need to but you could...especially again when that's that the topic pretty much calls for. Anyways, I like seeing what people are getting and used to post in this thread more often but just not into sharing as much as I used to.

Heres a couple of my more recent and notable purchases on display though. 
IMG_5594.jpeg.5b9e98a671290624ae432c054404e2d4.jpegIMG_5592.jpeg.0999754206489cdd3b47788120d5f40b.jpeg

Mezco Doom and Gobby. Both fantastic releases. 

Edited by Slave IV

10 hours ago, Slave IV said:

You might not need to but you could...especially again when that's that the topic pretty much calls for. Anyways, I like seeing what people are getting and used to post in this thread more often but just not into sharing as much as I used to.

IMG_5594.jpeg.5b9e98a671290624ae432c054404e2d4.jpegIMG_5592.jpeg.0999754206489cdd3b47788120d5f40b.jpeg

Is the Spider Woman from the Marvel Legends: Skrull Queen and Super-Skrull 2 pack in the middle? Nice display and liking the spider-buggy on the left. 

Edited by shazam

11 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice to see when a display comes together  :good:

8 hours ago, shazam said:

Is the Spider Woman from the Marvel Legends: Skrull Queen and Super-Skrull 2 pack in the middle? Nice display and liking the spider-buggy on the left. 

Yep, the Skrull is on the FF shelf right above. 
IMG_5590.jpeg.45c33df851717cf46cb6053a92135f0b.jpeg

Thanks! Yeah, I was happy to see that Buggy made and it brings back the vintage toys like the Spider Cooter that you can slightly see a little behind the Buggy by Leopardan. 

6 hours ago, MKT said:

Nice to see when a display comes together  :good:

Thanks! I have a lot of figures I need to dig out of storage to finish these shelves off. 

Star Wars: The Mandalorian - Koska Reeves 1/6 scale Hot Toys Action Figure

Koska1asm.jpg.e50b6786f40c36dbd0e29e3cd1bbf41c.jpgKoska2asm.jpg.7bf47183f3938241642d1d9e219173f9.jpg

Star Wars: The Mandalorian - The Mandalorian N1 Starfighter (with Grogu) Pop! Rides Vinyl Figure

MandoStarfighter2asm.jpg.ed990c17f8b3b941811738d7140dec06.jpg

Disney Pixar Label Transformers Buzz Lightyear Space Ship

Buzz0asm.jpg.4f5ceee5b56deee8f30347e47e7c0f3e.jpgBuzz1a1a.jpg.bea54ca5dc41963d0789f00cae678807.jpg