Appraisals for Collection Insurance...

Wasabi-san

I was robbed years ago and they cleaned out my collection. Fortunately I had replacement value through my homeowners insurance. I kept records which included ebay and paypal printouts as well as pictures of my collection. So after proving what I had and lost with all my documentation all I had to do was show current coast of items to be replaced and they cut me a check. It took some time to do, but then again I was robbed and got everything replaced so I was happy.

Long story to say just check and see what your homeowners or renters insurance covers.

I was robbed years ago and they cleaned out my collection. Fortunately I had replacement value through my homeowners insurance. I kept records which included ebay and paypal printouts as well as pictures of my collection. So after proving what I had and lost with all my documentation all I had to do was show current coast of items to be replaced and they cut me a check. It took some time to do, but then again I was robbed and got everything replaced so I was happy.

Long story to say just check and see what your homeowners or renters insurance covers.

What if you are renting a room? Check with the landlord?

I went through this process a couple of years ago, my wife works with an insurance company on a regular basis which saved us some money. My collection is NOT specifically covered as an extra (which incurs the extra charges), but rather as an itemised list of within our standard contents. We can list up to 25% of our total contents as specific items with independent values, so in the event of a total loss we can cover the most expensive items, so we upped our total contents for less than insuring just my collection, or just my Hi-Fi gear.

If you have any questions feel free to fire away, but my wife advised caution as the insurance companies all have slightly different polices in place. We have been with AAMI and are very happy with the flexibility in our coverage.

I think it depends how much is your collection worth. I called my home insurance company and they want me to do an appraisal first to see how much it is worth then they increase accordingly.

• 1 month later...