The New Battlestar Galactica - Thumbs Up or Down

So, did you like the new miniseries or not?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. So, did you like the new miniseries or not?

• Liked it very much... can't wait for a series.
    • Good, but not great.
    • Hated it.

Given the epic nature of the plot line (and many many many subplots), I was very pleased with the outcome. This was definitely not an easy undertaking for any writer/director and a big bet for Sci-Fi. As onezero has said sooo many times, "its only a TV show." Without a big box office budget, the product was more than adequate... blowing away the poor plot lines of the old series while still paying enough homage.

Character development on the whole was adequate. I think the actors/actresses themselves were quality... much better than those we have seen traditionally on TV (I know I will be hated for saying this... but the acting blows away SG-1). I very much like the fact that no character is ALL good or ALL evil... and most are very conflicted about something. I think this gives the characters depth.

Special effects were rather impressive. No glaring mistakes in my view. The "snap-zoom" cinematography (yes, i know it was CG) worked very well, IMHO. Ship designs were much much much better than the series, but definitely not the end all be all when compared to B5, SW, etc.

Plot twists were good... in general. I know, I know.... there were plenty of holes, but I think that was done for a reason. The cure for plot holes is (drum roll please)... a series. And hopefully that's what we'll get. There are sooooo many different directions that the plot could take.

... now where to get me one of those fembots?

It was great to see BS Galactica back in some way, but I wish that they had kept some of the things that were in the original series, as mentioned in the other thread going on this.

For one, the original origin of the Cylons was better.

A reworking of John Williams' theme song for the new show would have been awesome. The original theme is one of the coolest sci-fi themes ever.

I thought the new Cylons, their ships, and motherbase strayed too far from the original designs, which I still like better. Same goes for the Galactica.

They did away with the Egyptian theme of the Colonials. I always like the idea that the Colonials were supposed to be linked to the Egyptians. In the new show, you would never think that they are some distant human race with their own culture. They didn't do much to distinguish them as an ancient human race. They sure didn't look much different than we dress today.

The idea to change Starbuck's gender was bad. That's just taboo. You don't do that to a key character. I don't think it worked out like they thought it would.

Man, I hope this disappointment doesn't mean that any chance of future Galactica shows are now in limbo.

Honestly I never cared for the original series much to begin with so I had not real strong feelings for the show. I did like Adama and Apollo though. The space battles were very cool. I did like the situation Balter and a few other things. I thought it was okay so I voted for good. I didn't love and I didn't hate it as some other people did. Now if SciFi turn around and did a series or another mini-series to continue things that that would be great, then the ending wouldn't be so bad. If not then the ending was horrible since they end with a cliffhanger that they have no intention of finishing.

Now if SciFi turn around and did a series or another mini-series to continue things that that would be great, then the ending wouldn't be so bad. If not then the ending was horrible since they end with a cliffhanger that they have no intention of finishing.

I think if the ratings are good enough... then we should expect a series.

I was never a fan of the original but I watched both parts of this one. I liked it some but not enough to watch more episodes... The way the ending sort of "fell on it's face" with the cliffhanger makes me think that if the ratings and feedback are good Sci-Fi will make a series out of it. I think that is what they were planning all along but they made the pilot as a miniseries to test the waters first... but if they wait too long some of the cast may not return due to other commitments.

Wait, what am I saying? That whole cast will most likely jump at a chance to get some more money.

I voted that it was OK, middle of the road, lukewarm... It did not impress me but it did not fill me with loathing and disgust either.

I liked the fact that the original series used the idea of "Ancient Astronauts" i.e Chariots of The Gods, too bad it didn't carry over to the new Mini Series, which I voted good but not great. The newest Viper (Mark 4) looked like (ironicly enough) the Vic-Viper from Konami's shooter Gradius/Salamander. Cool design IMHO.

~G25

I actually wish there were another category to vote in: "some redeeming qualities, but otherwise not so good"

I like the action scenes and the way they play as though "caught through the combat photographer's lens." The story plods along though, and is similar to the original in name only. This is not a "retelling" so much as a "capitalizing on the characters/license to get viewers for an otherwise different story."

Captain Adama is a strong point--I tend to like E.J. Olmos' work as an actor. The dynamic between Adama and Apollo is pretty good, even though it's been done before.

Col. Tigh--started out a loser, a chronic drunk and bad leader; but he starts to make a turnaround, and is turning out to be a stand up guy. He has to make some hard decisions, but he seems to be stepping up to the plate when things get worse. Still like the original better--the first Col. Tigh is da man!

Baltar--sheesh, what a worm! As two-dimensional as the original was, I could respect him more then--evil megalomaniac he may have been, but he at least stood for something. The new one is just a despicable little sh-t.

Starbuck--the whole "gender-switch" thing aside, this new Starbuck sucks. What a raging as-hole. I was wanting Col. Tigh to knock her on her arse at the end of ep. 2. Running neck and neck with the Lady President for "somebody blow this b-tch out the nearest airlock and start over" category.

This whole "let's make a socio-political statement and make as many key characters as possible into I'm-better-than-any-man-super-strong-independant-rolemodel-woman dames" thing is being played to nausiating proportions. Could have left as per the original and been just fine. Didn't appreciate it as a kid when watching the original show, but it was pretty well ahead of its time with its portrayal of diverse characters, putting minorities and women in some key roles. Would have worked just as well this time around. Oh well, just my two cents. Getting off the soapbox...

A reworking of John Williams' theme song for the new show would have been awesome. The original theme is one of the coolest sci-fi themes ever.

The original show's opening theme song was not written by John Williams, but by Glen Larson and Stu Phillips.

By the way, I disliked the new movie.