Early 1/48's

VF Strike Valk

I'd just get the new and improved ones unless you actually foresee yourself investing in these things and selling them at a later time. But, if you're investing in toys I suggest you speak to an accountant who can get you set up in the stock market. Probably a better place to send your money. . .

Then again, I've got a MIB ("mint-in-box") of both the VF-1S Roy and VF-1A Hikaru. . . along with opened ones. And I'll probably do the same with the improved ones. It's a sickness. . . and I just can't help myself. I'll probably never sell, but I just love the idea of having some mint and still be able to play with their counterparts. :)

Best Regards,

H

What he said.

Unless you're a completist, and have to have them all MIB, I would get the new ones.

Certainly, if you intend on transforming them even once, you should get the new ones. The nosecone, and wing flaps fall off of my 1/48 Hikaru every time I transform it, no matter what.

My biggest issue with the first releases were the crooked skulls. Mind you, they didn't bother me that much at the time, but now that fixed ones are available, I plan on putting FAST packs on my R-1S and H-1A so that I'll never have to see the crooked skulls again (unless I go through the considerable effort to pry those boosters back off).

H

First releases even with their "defaults" are great. Okay their head are not perfect but they are not ugly either. Ok the nosecone, and wing flaps fall off near every time you transform one, but i think that you do not "play" with your valk.

Mine stay on my shelves and desk and i transform them sometimes (My first 1/48 must have been transformed less than 5 times actually) so improvements are really not a big deal imo.

Ones of the 2nd release are "better" than the first ones, but if you do not find one a the second release and really want to get a 1/48 do not hesitate to get one of the first release.

I just have one of every release so far... My plan is to display them and transform them every now and then...

I love all of them though... Even with the faults of the originals... Which are VERY minor faults IMO. :)

I've never had any problems with the flaps on the -1A Hikaru and -1S Roy, but the nosecones alway fall off when I mess with them. Still, it's livable. I don't foresee myself picking up the rereleases for the minor improvements.

It sucks that they couldn't fix these problems in the first place. Didn't they playtest these things a few times? The improvements are so minor, that it's hard to believe that they couldn't fix these issues at the last minute. I guess they didn't think it was a problem that needed fixing until they got customer feedback.

The crooked skull on the -1S I can deal with, too, since I like my 1/48's in Battroid mode anyway.

Both of mine ar originals. Hikaru was just fine, even the tailfins were straight. Roy gave me several problems. The canopy doesn't move right, and it has scratches on the white along the yellow and black stipes on the chestplate. It still looks badass on my shelf though.

I'd say get the new ones personally. Closer to perfection for your cash, but like was said above, if you find them cheap, then why not?

If it is the Roy VF-1S, get the new one. The original had several annoying things like the crooked skull, nose crack with landing gear down, and canopies that don't stay up. If you can find an original Hikaru VF-1A cheap, then get it. Since the reissues are out, you might be able to get a score of a deal on an original and save a bundle. Like the VF-1S, the nosecone and flaps will fall off rather easily but not if you are careful. I knocked my flaps off maybe twice and that's it. The nosecone is more annoying but both parts go back on easily.