Star Wars: Battlefront

bsu legato

CounterStrike has to have the absolute worst online community. Period.

Indeed. I was fun if you got past the community aspect and just played. I was always a loner, which always made everyone that was playing teams mad... But I still got the job done, and rarely got killed. At that time though I was still on 56k (actually about 24.4k) so the lag made it all but impossible. I stopped playing shortly before getting DSL and I haven't gone back either. Just no desire.

There are some cool CS style mods for Unreal Tournament that are fun. Infiltration might as well be a Rainbow Six game.

I really like SOCOM even if it is "a multiplayer game". The voice control of your teammates in single player is genius!

Vostok 7

I played the Halo PC demo multiplayer and there were two guys in those Covenant fighters just pwn3ning everyone. I finally took one down and grabbed the ship and started killing everyone there multiple times, and everyone started crying foul. It was hilarious really.

I love it when you use a rocket on someone and kill them and they're like "HEY!! That's cheating and unfair!!" and then they use a rocket on you and everyone else right after that :rolleyes:

Or like that guy we took on in JK:JO remember? :lol:

Counterstrike was fun... and I stress "WAS".

Vostok 7

I did that with Medal of Honor when it first came out! :D My friend and I used to hide on the second floor of an abandoned house armed with bazookas. Anytime a german would try to cross the firing line he'd eat a rocket. And when they tried to sneak into the house and shoot us in the back, we'd always have a man waiting at the ladder chucking grenades down everytime someone would pop his head up.

People hated us for that :)

haha Imode.

I love that snow canyon level in Halo for the same reason... Get the sniper rifle, snipe people... then a Assault rifle or Shotgun and some grenades for when they try to advance on me... FUN!

I always hated the guys in Descent II who'd drop smart mines in front of the doors though. That was seriously uncool :(

Vostok 7

There are types of games for all types of people. I do agree with you all on most points, but, sometimes when you start growing older and your friends start moving away, the only way you can get together and play games is through online games. Who would travel thousands of miles for an evening of gaming, it just wont happen. So sometimes it is good to meet up online and go kill people, and let out your frustrations with some of your close friends.

I agree but I find as I grow older (I'm soon to be 34 next month) I like gaming less and less and have taken to my other hobbies more and more.

Perhaps it is because I grew up with games... from the dawn of Defender and Pac Man to the first home consoles to the birth of computer gaming to the next gen consoles and back again... I've seen it all, played it all and have (much like a junkie) developed such a super high level of tollerance for the gaming drug that it takes a huge ground-breaking, genre busting title to make me even wake up from my corner and take notice. I have all the time in the world to play games as I can make time... I just have little interest any more. I thought I did and I upgraded my home computer into space to prepare for the new titles that are coming out but the more they get pushed back and the longer I languish in the doldrums the less I want to play video games.

Jo jo dancer, your life is calling. :p

There are types of games for all types of people. I do agree with you all on most points, but, sometimes when you start growing older and your friends start moving away, the only way you can get together and play games is through online games. Who would travel thousands of miles for an evening of gaming, it just wont happen. So sometimes it is good to meet up online and go kill people, and let out your frustrations with some of your close friends.

I agree but I find as I grow older (I'm soon to be 34 next month) I like gaming less and less and have taken to my other hobbies more and more.

Perhaps it is because I grew up with games... from the dawn of Defender and Pac Man to the first home consoles to the birth of computer gaming to the next gen consoles and back again... I've seen it all, played it all and have (much like a junkie) developed such a super high level of tollerance for the gaming drug that it takes a huge ground-breaking, genre busting title to make me even wake up from my corner and take notice. I have all the time in the world to play games as I can make time... I just have little interest any more. I thought I did and I upgraded my home computer into space to prepare for the new titles that are coming out but the more they get pushed back and the longer I languish in the doldrums the less I want to play video games.

Jo jo dancer, your life is calling. :p

I don't really think it has much to do with age. Games now a day lack something.... something seriously important.... originality. You can't expect a person, regardless of age, to be excited about sequels anymore. And if at some point you were an avid game player... its even worst.

Now a days games are all about deja vu.... the slightly annoying, and awkward feeling that you get from playing a game that feels exactly like the game you played a few months back. :)

I just have little interest any more. I thought I did and I upgraded my home computer into space to prepare for the new titles that are coming out but the more they get pushed back and the longer I languish in the doldrums the less I want to play video games.

Bah. You know you'll give in to the siren call that is Half Life 2.

[smith] It is...inevitable.[/smith]

I just have little interest any more. I thought I did and I upgraded my home computer into space to prepare for the new titles that are coming out but the more they get pushed back and the longer I languish in the doldrums the less I want to play video games.

Bah. You know you'll give in to the siren call that is Half Life 2.

[smith] It is...inevitable.[/smith]

Considering how Deus Ex: Invisible War turned out..... I'm not that excited about upcoming high profile games anymore.... as a matter of fact.... I'm almost scared! :blink:

If HL2 and Doom 3 are as good as the hype is saying they are (how many times has that not been true) then I will most likely be lulled back into it for a few more years...

Which brings me back to my (much) earlier comment on how there won't be any revolutionary games until we get some new & improved game engines. Cranking out game after game based on the Quake or Warcraft engines is not the road to new and exciting gameplay. For something really, truly new we need something much more capable than any of the current engines allow.

That's a large part of why I'm so excited about Half Life 2, and it's Source engine. Half Life 2 on it's own will likely be an awesome single player experience, but I'm equally excited about the possibilities the the Source engine will open up for mods.

And if it is a disappointment, then you're all welcome to come over to my place for "Pong Night." Just bring your own paddles.

If HL2 and Doom 3 are as good as the hype is saying they are (how many times has that not been true) then I will most likely be lulled back into it for a few more years...

Which brings me back to my (much) earlier comment on how there won't be any revolutionary games until we get some new & improved game engines. Cranking out game after game based on the Quake or Warcraft engines is not the road to new and exciting gameplay. For something really, truly new we need something much more capable than any of the current engines allow.

That's a large part of why I'm so excited about Half Life 2, and it's Source engine. Half Life 2 on it's own will likely be an awesome single player experience, but I'm equally excited about the possibilities the the Source engine will open up for mods.

And if it is a disappointment, then you're all welcome to come over to my place for "Pong Night." Just bring your own paddles.

By the way.... Sega is making an Astro Boy game based on the Source engine! :lol:

Now a days games are all about deja vu.... the slightly annoying, and awkward feeling that you get from playing a game that feels exactly like the game you played a few months back. :)

I get that too all the time. Like Red Faction. For some reason, that game just made me think of HL all the time.

And let's not even discuss RF2, shall we? <_<

Vostok 7

• 1 month later...

*UP!*

Some new info was posted on the official site.

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/01/ne...ws20040113.html

It looks like some of my concerns have already been aleviated. It will handle 32 players online and up to 64 players via LAN. It will also include voice comm, which I don't need to say is good. In fact, when an online game omits voice comm these it's downright criminal.

sweet, will it use the BF1942 engine, or have they developed their own?

No word on that one way or the other. The press release only mentions that Lucasarts is working with Pandemic. However, I doubt they're developing a proprietary game engine strictly for this game. I'd imagine that, like the Jedi Knight series, it will be based on another engine.

I saw a think on G4, the gaming chaneel about that game. It was on the show Pulse I believe, they were covering gaming in the military explain how certain games were adapted for military use like Delta Force and how some games went from military training programs to retail games, America's Army being one of the later. Not sure if this was changed for civilian use, it could be the very same one the military uses or used.

then maybe you should try Americas Army ;)

http://americasarmy.com/

Actually, my friends and I were just discussing that game a few days ago. For a free game, it's supposed to run pretty good. How balanced is the gameplay? The official site doesn't really give you any idea what the bad guys get for weapons.

I have been playing AA for over a year now, and I must say it is a pretty good game (and it is free ;) )

The bad guys have AK47, AKS-74U, RPK and RPGs.

http://www.americasarmy.com/intel/opfor.php

I have been playing AA for over a year now, and I must say it is a pretty good game (and it is free ;) )

Thanks, I must have missed that little blurb about the "OPFOR." But what do they mean by this comment?

Squad members always see themselves as being U.S. Army Soldiers. In contrast, members of the opposing team appear as hostile opposing forces (OPFOR). But in reality, everyone playing America's Army is actually playing the role of a U.S. Army Soldier.

Is this supposed to mean that regardless of which team you pick, the other side will appear as the "Godless commie scum?"

Thanks, I must have missed that little blurb about the "OPFOR." But what do they mean by this comment?

Squad members always see themselves as being U.S. Army Soldiers. In contrast, members of the opposing team appear as hostile opposing forces (OPFOR). But in reality, everyone playing America's Army is actually playing the role of a U.S. Army Soldier.

Is this supposed to mean that regardless of which team you pick, the other side will appear as the "Godless commie scum?"

that is correct soldier, now drop and give me 20 :D

that is correct soldier

Interesting. That would certainly counteract the "I don't wanna be the Axis" phenomenon that has cropped up in Call Of Duty. On the downside, that means that all the weapons are coded exactly the same for both sides. Of course, since no game has actual bullet ballistics (yet) the only real difference between an AK and an M16 would be the rate of fire. Not that it bothers me, but it for sticklers for accuracy it would be a point of contention.

now drop and give me 20

Hmmm....maybe after I finish my delicious dinner, consisting of Doritos and Kokanee beer. :p

No word on that one way or the other. The press release only mentions that Lucasarts is working with Pandemic. However, I doubt they're developing a proprietary game engine strictly for this game. I'd imagine that, like the Jedi Knight series, it will be based on another engine.

This months (feb) EMG stated that they are using the BF1942 engine.

do you know if you will be able to carry Lightsabers instead of knives and stuff?

And around when is this game supposed to come out for PC? (is coming out at the same time for PC and consoles?)

do you know if you will be able to carry Lightsabers instead of knives and stuff?

And around when is this game supposed to come out for PC? (is coming out at the same time for PC and consoles?)

It said that it's the grunts, No Jedi. But it has special attacks where you can have characters Like Luke or Darth Vader come in and help your troops attacking opponents with their Light Sabers.

Interesting. That would certainly counteract the "I don't wanna be the Axis" phenomenon that has cropped up in Call Of Duty. On the downside, that means that all the weapons are coded exactly the same for both sides. Of course, since no game has actual bullet ballistics (yet) the only real difference between an AK and an M16 would be the rate of fire. Not that it bothers me, but it for sticklers for accuracy it would be a point of contention.

just wait till you complete your Special Forces training, then you can fully customize your M4.

That is so cool B))

http://www.americasarmy.com/intel/m4mods.php

Hmmm....maybe after I finish my delicious dinner, consisting of Doritos and Kokanee beer. :p

LOL :lol:

actually, if you down a enemy, you can pick up their M-16/ak-47 wich hs a diffrent rate of fire and doesn't jam as much.

weird game i don't like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Nice trailer! I must admit, it's hard not to get excited about the game. It appears the game is focused on the the conventional military battles of the Star Wars universe and not the force users. That's a very interesting direction for a Star Wars game and not something that's been done "successfully" yet.

Since I have both PC and X-Box, I'm kinda wondering what type of control would be best for this title. It looks like the mouse/keyboard may be best if it's run similar to a 3rd person shooter.

Since I have both PC and X-Box, I'm kinda wondering what type of control would be best for this title. It looks like the mouse/keyboard may be best if it's run similar to a 3rd person shooter.

You'd better get the PC version, 'cause that's what I'll be playing on. :)

This game looks like it has some pretty nice terrain modeling. That forest actually looks like a forest and not the inside of a box with trees painted on the walls. The trees even look like they're swaying in the breeze.

Wow! Nice trailer! I must admit, it's hard not to get excited about the game. It appears the game is focused on the the conventional military battles of the Star Wars universe and not the force users. That's a very interesting direction for a Star Wars game and not something that's been done "successfully" yet.

Not really true. The X-wing and Tie games were well done and popular. As was the first Dark Forces game where the character Kyle has no force powers at all. Then there are the Rogue Squadron games which are very successful. I'm glad we are getting this game though. I enjoy the Jedi Knight games but I've grown tired of force users over the years. To much use of them, well over use of them. Attack of the Clones anyone.

Looks great and something somewhat refreshing.

Jedi overused in AotC? Outside of the Arena battle scene and most of em bite the bullet. it's been like every other movie with 1-3 good and 1-2 bad.