Star Wars: Battlefront

bsu legato

LucasArts has announced thier latest SW game, Star Wars: Battlefront. It's your basic Battlefield 1942 gameplay, thrown into the Star Wars universe. While it will be available for PS2 and the X-Box, for me the PC version will make or break this game. Who would want to play 5 vs 5 on the X-Box when you could be on a server with up to 64 players (or more...?) There's some very early screenshots from the PS2 version floating around, but it's far too early to tell what kind of detail we can expect.

No release date, besides "2004," has been given.

Edit: here's the screenshots:

http://www.playstationmagazine.com/article...,1400903,00.asp

Edited by bsu legato

You know what? This smells like what Lucas did with Age of Empires.... swamped the AoE sprites for SW sprites.... and added a few really uninspired levels. Lets hope this will be more then a project that 5 college students can put together..... but better.

And honestly..... making the game based on a PS2 version is a really really bad idea. <_<

You know what? This smells like what Lucas did with Age of Empires.... swamped the AoE sprites for SW sprites....

Well to be fair, not many companies can afford to invest the time and money into building thier own game engines anymore. It's far cheaper to license an "off the shelf" engine like Quake and work from there.

and added a few really uninspired levels.

You get that from 3 screenshots, all from the same level? Oh to have eyes as keen as yours...

Lets hope this will be more then a project that 5 college students can put together..... but better.

Sounds more like the "real" BF1942. I still can't understand the hype over that buggy, laggy game. Nearly 3 years later, this game had better be an improvement.

And honestly..... making the game based on a PS2 version is a really really bad idea.

Again with the hate for the PS? :p Nowhere in the article does it say that it's a PS2-derived game. But if the PC graphics are only on par with the PS2, or even the X-Box versions, then forget it. Ditto the number of players it'll support. With today's games supporting up to 64 players, 4-on-4 just isn't going to cut it anymore.

Edited by bsu legato

This could potentialy be kind of cool because it goes back to the grassroots theme of "just go out there and kick ass", but given LA's history with starwars games (xwing and tiefighter excluded) I'm not gonna be holding my breath.

Well to be fair, not many companies can afford to invest the time and money into building thier own game engines anymore. It's far cheaper to license an "off the shelf" engine like Quake and work from there.

Sure.... but the AoE engine was pretty outdated back then. There were cheaper, more up-to-date engines.

You get that from 3 screenshots, all from the same level? Oh to have eyes as keen as yours...

I was refering to Battlegrounds... not the new game. :)

Sounds more like the "real" BF1942. I still can't understand the hype over that buggy, laggy game. Nearly 3 years later, this game had better be an improvement.

Never played BF1942.... can't comment on that. Though... I'm simply stating that it sounds just like what they did with Battlegrounds and Age of Empires.

Again with the hate for the PS?  Nowhere in the article does it say that it's a PS2-derived game. But if the PC graphics are only on par with the PS2, or even the X-Box versions, then forget it. Ditto the number of players it'll support. With today's games supporting up to 64 players, 4-on-4 just isn't going to cut it anymore.

Considering all games released on PS2, are usually ported afterwards to other consoles, and that those screens were from the PS2 version. Untill I see that they are concentrating on a PC version as well as PS2 and Xbox.... I will keep saying "PS2 ports are a bad bad idea".

Edited by Abombz!!

Considering all games released on PS2, are usually ported afterwards to other consoles, and that those screens were from the PS2 version. Untill I see that they are concentrating on a PC version as well as PS2 and Xbox.... I will keep saying "PS2 ports are a bad bad idea".

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Today, I learned that the PC version of Secret Weapons Over Normandy has no multiplayer! None! Not even the "versus" mode, carried over from the PS2! That moved it down a notch to the "rent it for PS" category. <_<

I wholeheartedly agree with that. Today, I learned that the PC version of Secret Weapons Over Normandy has no multiplayer! None! Not even the "versus" mode, carried over from the PS2! That moved it down a notch to the "rent it for PS" category. <_<

And honestly.... if you are going to make a multi-platform game... at least have the decency of working on the PC version separetly. KOTOR is a good example of a game that was rushed for Xbox... and didn't turn out quite well on the PC either. <_<

Sounds very interesting. I'm playing that laggy, buggy game called BF1952, with the Desert Combat mod. Actually I'm playing ONLY the DC mod. Get 0wned every single time, but that's after I blow up a bunker in Weapons Bunkers, one of my favorite maps. :p

SW version: blow up the shield bunker on Endor after fighting a fierce laserfight adding some of the vehicles like the speeder bike.

And honestly.... if you are going to make a multi-platform game... at least have the decency of working on the PC version separetly. KOTOR is a good example of a game that was rushed for Xbox... and didn't turn out quite well on the PC either. <_<

It was hardly rushed in my opinion. Its one of the best RPGs, hell games I've played in a very long time.

When it comes to KOTOR, from the very beginning it was announced that it would be released on the Xbox and the PC. They said they were working on both versions as the same time since the setup was similar. The PC version was actually delayed a few months. Word was so it wouldn't interfere with SWG sales or Jedi Academy sales. One or both of them. Then there was Microsoft asking/paying to get it first. All of that seemed likely. If I'm recalling correctly both versions were going to be released at the same time before that.

It was hardly rushed in my opinion. Its one of the best RPGs, hell games I've played in a very long time.

When it comes to KOTOR, from the very beginning it was announced that it would be released on the Xbox and the PC. They said they were working on both versions as the same time since the setup was similar. The PC version was actually delayed a few months. Word was so it wouldn't interfere with SWG sales or Jedi Academy sales. One or both of them. Then there was Microsoft asking/paying to get it first. All of that seemed likely. If I'm recalling correctly both versions were going to be released at the same time before that.

Have you played the Xbox version? You can't tell me the bugs weren't annoying. I'm sorry... but I find it ridiculous that a console game can have such obvious problems.

As for the PC version..... I know alot of ppl who have the worst time getting the game to run properly... and they all have good computers. And the interface was pretty clunky in my opinion.

It wasn't untill the Xbox version was announced that they came up with the whole exclusivity deal. The Xbox version was rushed and released first.... while the PC version was released 3 months later.

KOTOR has been announced as far as before BG2 was released. Like any other game... it was delayed. It was also delayed around the time the Xbox version was announced to have a 3 month exclusivity. Jedi Academy has nothing to do with it... as it wasn't even announced when MS announced the exclusivity. As for SWG... they are 2 different types of games..... it would hardly interfere with one another. And besides.... SWG sucks on its own.... regardless of release dates.... it still got shitty sales.

With all the hoopla I've been hearing about folks who've played KOTOR... what games *do* you like, Abombz?

I never said I didn't like KOTOR. I enjoyed the 3 times I beat the Xbox version. I'm simply criticizing the blantant lack of testing it recieved before being released.... something that many games now a days seem to be plagued with. And honestly... I might be the only one who thinks this way.... but its ridiculous for a console game to be released with so many bugs.

I can compile a list anyways if you want.... it will take a few hours though.

Edited by Abombz!!

I'm late to the party... but does this Star Wars:Battlefront sound to anyone else to be a big "apology game" for all the people that bought Galaxies expecting run and gun? <_<

I have not seen it yet but I personally am sick to death of team/army based arcade FPS games... (checks callendar to see if Doom 3 or Half Life 2 have been pushed back again)

Well, I'll wait until they announce some more details before I pass judgement on Battlefront. So far, all we know is that it's

1) available for PS2, X-Box and PC

2) the PS2 version supports 8 players

3) features the Empire and Repulbic periods

It could very well suck in all likelyhood, but since I like the game's concept I'll give it a fair chance. However, I don't think that games like this will really come into their own until own until they start making games with the "next gen" engines like Half Life 2.

I'm late to the party... but does this Star Wars:Battlefront sound to anyone else to be a big "apology game" for all the people that bought Galaxies expecting run and gun? <_<

I have not seen it yet but I personally am sick to death of team/army based arcade FPS games... (checks callendar to see if Doom 3 or Half Life 2 have been pushed back again)

May be, I hated Galaxies because it was so boring, run and gun sounds like fun :D

Wait...this implies that there actually is a date for HL2. Just yesterday I went searching for HL2 info, and all that's come out of Valve on the break-in and the release date has been a big, stony silence. <_<

And I agree with you about "arcady" FPS games. Give me a realistic tac-sim FPS in the Galaxy Far, Far Away and I'll die happy.

Edited by bsu legato

I myself never said it would suck... (though the odds be against it)... just that it is so "last week" in concept and scope.

I'm still waiting for Lucasarts to make something cool and original again... but then again they lost all their money making "cool and original" so now they just boost someone's game engine, star wars it up a bit, slap a super high price tag on it and rake in the moolah. Pretty soon you'd think they'd have the coffers full again and attempt another original 100% in house game... and with the jury still out on KotOR with most people I know that day may never come in my lifetime.

oh and someone pah-leeze tell me this game is not going to have the same old tired ass lucasarts star wars FPS weapons... they have ILM artists and King George on their speed dial and all they can do is recycle the same damn guns for four games... if it becomes five I vow to never buy another Star Wars FPS again.

oh and someone pah-leeze tell me this game is not going to have the same old tired ass lucasarts star wars FPS weapons

For a change, it looks like they're using the actual blasters from the films. The Reb pictured here is carrying the correct Hoth/Endor rifle, and he's decked out in the proper uniform to boot.

post-26-1070502727_thumb.jpg

Wait...this implies that there actually is a date for HL2.

Yep.... March 2004.

As for this new game... it looks pretty good so far. I just hope they come up with some fresh new battles. I know the fans love Hoth and Endor.... but gee.... with such source material... lets hope they don't pull another Rogue Squadron 2.5. <_<

As for this new game... it looks pretty good so far. I just hope they come up with some fresh new battles. I know the fans love Hoth and Endor.... but gee.... with such source material... lets hope they don't pull another Rogue Squadron 2.5. <_<

W3RD.

Vostok 7

Actually I have the Xbox version, was part of the reason I bought one since I didn't want to wait for the PC version. I don't know if its the way I played the game but I didn't encounter any of the bugs that others have experienced in playing it. Seriously, I was surprised to find that there were bugs in it. If I did encounter then I honestly didn't notice them. I've noticed this of other people as well. Some people seem to hit all the bugs in the game while others like myself haven't encountered any or even noticed them if they do come across them.

PC games are always crazy to get running. I know people with better systems then me that had trouble getting Halo to run while I ran just find on my system(still pretty high up there) and others with specs below mind had no problem while others similar to my system had trouble. Strange. I haven't run into a PC game yet that I haven't had a trouble with in some form or another.

I agree SWG does suck on its own. I just canceled my account, just used the free month. It was fun for the first few days but it became old really fast. Now I just need to get my hands on Final Fantasy XI but no games like that until after finals in a few weeks. B))

Actually I have the Xbox version, was part of the reason I bought one since I didn't want to wait for the PC version. I don't know if its the way I played the game but I didn't encounter any of the bugs that others have experienced in playing it. Seriously, I was surprised to find that there were bugs in it. If I did encounter then I honestly didn't notice them. I've noticed this of other people as well. Some people seem to hit all the bugs in the game while others like myself haven't encountered any or even noticed them if they do come across them.

PC games are always crazy to get running. I know people with better systems then me that had trouble getting Halo to run while I ran just find on my system(still pretty high up there) and others with specs below mind had no problem while others similar to my system had trouble. Strange. I haven't run into a PC game yet that I haven't had a trouble with in some form or another.

I agree SWG does suck on its own. I just canceled my account, just used the free month. It was fun for the first few days but it became old really fast. Now I just need to get my hands on Final Fantasy XI but no games like that until after finals in a few weeks. B))

I have honestly hit every single bug in that game. From losing lvs out of nowhere..... to losing equipment out of nowhere. From getting lag when trying to open the menu to freezing up after saving a game. Don't even get me started on the shitty FMV quality... this is a DVD for crying out loud. And would it hurt to have some good looking in game character faces to chose from? <_<

But I know what you are saying.... I have yet to run a game without a problem.... and I have a new PC. <_<

But lets not turn this thread into a KOTOR thread. :)

I'm probably in the minority here, but I have absolutely no interest in playing online PC FPS games against 64 people I'll probably never meet.

I'd much rather play a console game against 2-3 friends in the comfort of my sitting room on my wide screen TV with lots of beer and pizza involved.

Graham

I'm probably in the minority here, but I have absolutely no interest in playing online PC FPS games against 64 people I'll probably never meet.

I'd much rather play a console game against 2-3 friends in the comfort of my sitting room on my wide screen TV with lots of beer and pizza involved.

Graham

Having 2 or 3 friends over to play LAN games is a blast, granted, but if you have more than 2 or 3 friends...?

Most of us don't have facilities to provide for a home LAN capable of hosting 10+ people. I still have fond memories of the days in university where 10+ of us played CounterStrike in our private labs to blow off steam.

Internet gaming allows you to do that with nothing more than an agreement with your friends to play at a certain time. It pushes the need for infrastructure to someone else -- you don't worry about that as your ISP is the provider. Of course, the down side is the lack of real-time ragging of a poor sod you just fragged.. :)

Back to this game. I liked BF1942 for its platoon- to company-level gaming on Single-player. Jack the bot-to-player ratio up, and even with the AI dumbed down you will still sweat (try Omaha as Germans with 400% bots and 10% AI). Very replayable. BF1942 is quite unique in the market for this aspect.

If the Single Player on this game is anything like that, we can have platoon- to company-level Stormtrooper/ Rebel engagement with AT-AT/ AT-ST support. That would be quite interesting.