"Cleatus" - The Fox Football Robot

DarrinG

GREAT Detail, Good Sculpt - HORRIBLE Execution!!

If you like the NFL you've probably seen this football player robot guy bouncing around the FOX Sports coverage of the games.

Since my kids know I love both robots and football (namely the denver broncos) I got this unique gift for Christmas. Awww the warm and fuzzy feelings of the Holidays... Thanks kids.

In Short:

• Super Heavy - initial reaction is - this is a beast!

• At about 10 inches tall he seems just the right size

• Great sculpt, great likeness to what you see on the TV promos - he looks like he's ready to destroy somebody

• Very nice attention to detail - hoses, vents and all sorts of mechanical goodness abound!

THEN

• UGH - he's too heavy for his own good, cannot stand up under his own weight, literally!

• Joints designed to be very articulated but get looser by the second

• The plastic used (revy type pvc?) is wayyy too rubbery and not a good choice for a figure this size

• The 'nose' look under his face mask isn't appealing, maybe more of a Cylon / Vader flat style face would have been better?

• The advertise the shoulder pads as "REMOVABLE"! -- Uh yeah, in other words do not touch this guy unless you want them to eject

• Glue used is not good. Tried to pull the head off to inspect the neck joint and the entire neck assembly snapped off -- looks like Elmer's

• You realize you have to stick to one pose and prop him against something if you want him to stand. The novelty wears off quickly... and you come away feeling like its a piece of %&@

---I guess its this company's first attempt into the action figure market and it shows. They probably were able to make these for about 2 bucks each in some 3rd world country. Clicky-jointed hips and knees would have improved this guy 70%!!!!!!

BUT

• If Denver beats Pittsburg this Sunday (which is highly unlikely), I vow to update this guy in one week's time, before their next playoff game!

• I will stick to the one week deadline -- note that I have a full time job and 4 kids so get your expectations in the right place...

• AND GO BRONCOS!!

post-8486-0-18095500-1325771513_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-34464800-1325771523_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrinG

I also like Cleatus' design and thought that making him into a toy was a great idea, but it sounds like he's more of a posable statue that you have to treat gently rather than a toy that's meant to be roughhoused with. Kinda ironic for a sport as violent as football. Thanks for the review!

Btw, can Cleatus Tebow? :p

I also like Cleatus' design and thought that making him into a toy was a great idea, but it sounds like he's more of a posable statue that you have to treat gently rather than a toy that's meant to be roughhoused with. Kinda ironic for a sport as violent as football. Thanks for the review!

Btw, can Cleatus Tebow? :p

Ha! I'll get that "Tebowing' photo - along with some mods if they win Sunday...

So overtime got turned into Tebowtime, and now it's time for Cleatus to get Tebowed :D Curious to see what these promised "mods" are :p

Anyways for me, this was the most anticipated game of the weekend and it didn't let me down. I'm no Broncos fan, but I was cheering for them just because I knew that if the Broncos won, it would piss off all the football know-it-alls. Congrats and good luck in Foxborough.

The game was a thriller! The Broncos started off 1-4, and are now on the way to the second round of the playoffs - unbelievable.

The Cleatus mods are in process -- and as promised I will get what I can get done by this Friday!

Nice link AgentONE - I will post the Fox Robot part here, funny stuff...

Stay tuned for update pics tomorrow...

post-8486-0-75451300-1326142409_thumb.jpg

MODS - You can move this to the Customizing Thread if you need to...

ONLY 3 Days to GO!

MISSION: Turn generic Cleatus into 'V-BOT!' aka Von MIller in time to Beat Patriots Saturday NIGHT!

1. Painted him black Krylon FUSION for plastics (he does not disassemble much)

2. Dusted him with Rustoleum Metallic Satin Nickel

3. Achieved a more Terminator 'endo-skeleton' look

4. Got Von Miller reference and started sketching out some color ideas in Photoshop

Tomorrow gotta get some masking done and some orange on there!

Let me know what you think! Doubt I can get the #58 and MILLER details on there by Friday though...

post-8486-0-79845700-1326231225_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-61719100-1326231234_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-82626600-1326231242_thumb.jpg

I absolutely guarantee a Patriots victory! Care to make a friendly wager DarrinG? A dvd or something? Maybe a custom Patriots cleatus with Belicheck hoodie?

I would have totally agreed with you. But this McDaniels thing stinks.

Stinks a little like SpyGate meets McSpyGate. They may have brought a dark cloud over the Pats.

This is a robot thread of course -- but Denver ran for 167 yards in the first quarter last meeting (you read that right, first quarter), then McGahee hurt his hammy and Denver fumbles it away 3 times. Not ready to bet but I would not be so sure...

ANYWAY - gotta get some orange on there today! Updated pics hopefully tomorrow morning...

DarrinG you have my sympathy. The Patriots won 45-10 in a game that wasn't even close and the only thing Von Miller did was get his ass kicked for trying to start some crap at the end. These are always the tough ones to swallow, at least in a close game you can point to that "one" play that would have done it, but with a game like this its better to just forget it happened.

DarrinG you have my sympathy. The Patriots won 45-10 in a game that wasn't even close and the only thing Von Miller did was get his ass kicked for trying to start some crap at the end. These are always the tough ones to swallow, at least in a close game you can point to that "one" play that would have done it, but with a game like this its better to just forget it happened.

AGREE. Horrible game. But the year was a ton of fun and wayyy better than expected. They have a long way to go.

I made lots of progress on 'cleatus' but no one seemed to care so I let it drop. Now I have 8 months to work on him...

• 1 month later...

If anyone else is looking to customize one of these you can take them apart further by pushing out the pins that hold the big joints together (shoulders and thigh/hips) the arms detach below the shoulder by pulling and the same goes for the hips to the torso and the legs from the upper thighs.(same type of jointas the neck and hands that the OP showed) the other joints are attaced with a pin. The pin is smaller on the back side so if you find a tool that matches the diameter you can push from the small side and pop the pin out. You may have to rotate the joint so that when you push it there is clearance on the opposite side to come all the way out.

IMGP3455.jpg

IMGP3458.jpg