First ever model build VF-27 Lucifer Brera

tali21

Hi there guys, FINALLY got around to building my very first model. Total newbie at it but this forum inspired me to pick up a kit and get started.

First of all let me say... i never want to sand off another nub again but i guess its all about attention to detail.

Model is completed but now its decal time, iv read on this forum that decal setter doesnt work very well on the plastic other people say it does and another group says

i should rather use the sticker decals.

So any definite answer on which route to take would be welcomed but im leaning towards decals as they look more natural.

Can anyone also please advise me on what would be an excellent colour/brand of pen to use to penline the model.

Thanks

2599vyq.jpg

in my opinion, I would try some decal set solution. I have used it on some things and had it work fantastically well, others not so much. Can't hurt to try. Water slides are ALWAYS preferable to stickers for me anyway. As for the best way to panel line...some people say Gundam markers, some say Micron Pens..(i have used these--good but very dark black lines) OR you could try weathering wash. Carefully paint over/fill in the lines and then wipe away the extra. PRACTICE first however on an old toy or model that you don't care about!

Use decals. Ban Dai's stickers suck ass. I use this with very good results: Mr. Mark Setter (when did HLJ stop carrying it?)

For a wash, I found this to be really good, and dead-easy to use: Pro Modeller wash. I use the black.

Good luck, and have fun!

If you're going to regularly transform this model, I would suggest that you NOT use the waterslide decals. Use instead the stickers (they are well made IMO). If you use the decals, you risk scratching them during transformation.

I spray Tamiya TS-80 clear flat coat or Testor's Dullcote on all my models.

My experience with models is limited, but I know that Bandai's VF are not really meant for repeated transformation. Think of it maybe as a display/posing option in any of the three modes, but never take it as a transformable toy. Not only the decals will be ruined (even after Mr. Mark Setter), the whole model may be broken after repeated transformations. Clear coating will not save your decals from scratching either because some pieces are so close together they will inevitably rub against each other.

I would still use the decals over the stickers: the latter are very translucent and on this wine red model it's not going to work. If you had an airbrush, maybe it's OK to spray a clear coat on it, but rattle cans will not give you an even coat and thickness is not your friend on a transformable figure.

There was an old discussion regarding the VF-27 here, and I remember I found an amazing build by a Japanese guy who didn't paint the big surfaces, but did tons of detailing with the panel lines and recessed details. I cannot find the link anymore.

Edited by regult

I spray all my models with Testors rattlecan Dullcote....just to seal it and protect the decals..however...i have had it have a "wrinkling' effect on some decals if I used decal set solution..this was simple to remedy by running over them with a q-tip, but did cause me to almost have a heart attack.. :wacko:

My experience with models is limited, but I know that Bandai's VF are not really meant for repeated transformation. Think of it maybe as a display/posing option in any of the three modes, but never take it as a transformable toy. Not only the decals will be ruined (even after Mr. Mark Setter), the whole model may be broken after repeated transformations. Clear coating will not save your decals from scratching either because some pieces are so close together they will inevitably rub against each other.

I would still use the decals over the stickers: the latter are very translucent and on this wine red model it's not going to work. If you had an airbrush, maybe it's OK to spray a clear coat on it, but rattle cans will not give you an even coat and thickness is not your friend on a transformable figure.

There was an old discussion regarding the VF-27 here, and I remember I found an amazing build by a Japanese guy who didn't paint the big surfaces, but did tons of detailing with the panel lines and recessed details. I cannot find the link anymore.

I think it was here: http://auf-ewig.com/h-log/0911/091127.html but it looks as though the content has moved. That sucks because he did a remarkable job on it!

I remember there was another amazingly skilled builder from Japan who made an Armored S, a Super G, and what not. His models were fully painted, with subtle weathering and fully transformable. He took photos quite professionally too, with lighting that accentuated contours, with a backdrop of Gundam walls and floors. I also seem to remember it was on Yahoo.jp.

I remember there was another amazingly skilled builder from Japan who made an Armored S, a Super G, and what not. His models were fully painted, with subtle weathering and fully transformable. He took photos quite professionally too, with lighting that accentuated contours, with a backdrop of Gundam walls and floors. I also seem to remember it was on Yahoo.jp.

do you mean this?post-4286-0-08954100-1313915576_thumb.jpg

unfortunately I only have the one picture and I don't remember where it came form other than seeing it in one of the older VF-25 model kit threads.

found it:

original post about it here (VF-25S): http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29566&view=findpost&p=764704

and here (VF-25G): http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29566&view=findpost&p=764705

and here's the dudes yahoo japan photo page: http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/horton1485/

Edited by anime52k8