Guest davidwhangchoi

"There's a hundred-thousand streets in this city. You don't need to know the route. You give me a time and a place, I give you a five minute window. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything happens a minute either side of that and you're on your own. Do you understand? Good. And you won't be able to reach me on this phone again."

just bumping this song up as i'm listening the heck out of it.

Time for another music review:
Nightwish-ShowtimeStorytime_zpsf7eea85a.
Nightwish: Showtime, Storytime
SceneNation/Nuclear Blast Records, 2013
Recorded live at Wacken Open Air, Germany, on August 3, 2013
Running Time: 94 minutes

Personnel
Tuomas Holopainen: Keyboards
Floor Jansen: Vocals
Marco Hietala: Bass, vocals
Emppu Vuorinen: Guitar
Jukka Nevalainen: Drums
Troy Donockley: Uilleann pipes, flute

Set List
1. Dark Chest of Wonders
2. Wish I Had an Angel
3. She Is My Sin
4. Ghost River
5. Ever Dream
6. Storytime
7. I Want My Tears Back
8. Nemo
9. Last of the Wilds
10. Bless the Child
11. Romanticide
12. Amaranth
13. Ghost Love Score
14. Song of Myself
15. Last Ride of the Day
16. Outro: Imaginaerum

Lowdown
Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish had a successful run with their Imaginaerum world tour from 2012 to 2013. But while Imaginaerum was a story of its own, the real story of the tour happened in the middle of the North American leg. On October 1, 2012, vocalist Anette Olzon left the band due to health issues. (It was revealed later on that she was pregnant at the time, and that she was fired due to disagreements with the band's last-minute plans.) Normally, a band would have to postpone or cancel the rest of the tour to find a new vocalist, but after learning their lessons from their past experiences with original vocalist Tarja Turunen and their last tour with Olzon, Nightwish had a contingency plan. Within a span of 48 hours, Dutch vocalist Floor Jansen (of After Forever and ReVamp) was flown in to complete the tour without a hitch. Since then, Jansen has become the permanent lead vocalist of the band.

Showtime, Storytime was recorded live at the annual Wacken Open Air music festival in Germany. Compared to the previous lineup, Jansen's vocals bring a different approach on stage. Unlike the pop/rock oriented Olzon, Jansen has a wider vocal range to near-operatic level. Because of this, Nightwish started playing many of the Tarja-era songs once again, such as "She Is My Sin" and "Ghost Love Score". At the same time, Jansen adds more punch to the Anette-era songs such as "Storytime" and "Amaranth". Her stage presence also livens up the crowd even more than with Turunen and Olzon. The other band members play their parts perfectly, especially British bagpiper Troy Donockley (now officially a member of the band) with the instrumental "Last of the Wilds".

Overall, Showtime, Storytime is Nightwish's best concert video since 2005's End of an Era. Symphonic metal, like other music genres, is an acquired taste, but Nightwish does it perfectly on stage. I can't wait for their next studio album, which is slated for a 2015 release.

Rating: A-

DVD/Blu-ray Extras: A

Disc 2 kicks off with "Please Learn the Setlist in 48 Hours", a documentary chronicling the band's decision to bring in Floor Jansen to save the tour. In addition, the band hosts a table hockey championship.

Links
Nightwish Official Homepage

Edited by areaseven

Guest davidwhangchoi

wow that's a thorough review. i wish i can make clean layout like that on a post.

a military-ish videogame music arrangement. brings a smile to my face :) (listening to the second half!)

this game my brother could finish with one quarter in the arcade: instant classic with the rotation 8 way joysticks:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

As a supplement to my recent music review, here are a couple of songs from previous incarnations of Nightwish:

"Nemo" with Tarja Turunen on vocals. Turunen was a founding member of Nightwish and stayed with the band from 1997 to 2005. Her marriage to an Argentine businessman severely strained her relationship with the band, as she opted to travel separately from them and refused to travel to North America for their 2004-2005 tour. Eventually, the band had enough, and following their End of an Era concert on October 21, 2005, they fired her. She currently has a modestly popular solo career which is nowhere near the same level as Nightwish.

"Amaranth" with Anette Olzon on vocals. Swedish singer Olzon joined Nightwish in 2007 after being chosen over about 2,000 applicants for the lead vocalist role. In contrast to Turunen's opera background, Olzon was a straightforward pop/rock singer. Her Swedish accent also gave a bit of ABBA style in the band's music. Olzon, along with the band, had bit roles as fictional versions of themselves in the 2012 film Imaginaerum. Things were going smoothly with their 2012-2013 Imaginaerum world tour until Olzon experienced health problems in the middle of the North American leg. On October 1, 2012, Olzon parted ways with the band. Olzon will release her first solo album next year.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i don't have a vid of some nice eye candy as Airborne's video.

please pardon as this will be a double post:

This is the most influential Chicago house and Detroit Techno song ever produced. in fact an accomplished classical pianist Francesco Tristano Schlime plays as a composition:

i love the piano parts:

Strings of Life by Derrick May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pMav12kzaA

Francesco Tristano Schlime

and in case you want to hear him play a traditional classic composition

Guest davidwhangchoi

I just got back from a trip for work missed this site for a few days.

This is a classic K-pop song that reminds me of 90's J-pop. Maybe some of you know this song?

Roo' Ra 사랑법

here's the song from the album minus the crowd screaming :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is a video of

NOISE: What I Want to You: (i posted a live version before of it)

i like NOISE because they have their own unique vocal harmonies

노이즈 - 너에게 원한 건

Guest davidwhangchoi

another live song from my fav classic kpop group

the rest of it is in the ending credits

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Video I did of the Future of the Left show in Sydney just over a week ago. I apologise for the really really shaky camera work. I apologise for none of the other inappropriate shenanigans that have come to characterise the shows for this great band......

BTW, the song is "You Need Satan More Than He Needs You".

Guest davidwhangchoi

I don't feel like that's the strongest performance of Satellite DMB could have done. Oddly not very tight for them, but perhaps there were some monitors that were off or something.

Yeah, i think Carter's pitchy harmony is throwing the song off.

here's young dave playing in front of a small crowd at a Virgin Megastore

"under the table and dreaming" and "lie in our graves"

I guess glam bands belong in the guilty pleasure thread but i like this song:

i can't believe their sound is solid after all this time: that drummer was always very underrated

this is a small show of them getting back together in 03 before going on tour.

Edited by davidwhangchoi