Technology you F'ng hate thread

Ghost Train

I prefer earbuds while I am out and about. Skullcandy brand with the smallest rubber cushion are super comfortable and have great sound quality. While I am at the PC, I am happier with a great set of headphones. My favorite were an old Sony model that is no longer in production. It was very light, and fit over the ears without causing any soreness.

I used to have a David Clark aviation headset. It was kinda heavy, but by far the most comfy, and had an integrated mic.

Technology I hate? Bass speakers. Specifically, the kind that morons mount on their cars because they think blasting their poo-for-music out at everyone around them is cool. It is not. I especially hate being stuck at a red light with them, totally drowning out my music or conversations.

They don't play it for themselves, they play it so you can hear it, look at them and say, 'wow those guys are badass.' In San Francisco, kids get tickets for this.. I haven't lived in Chicago long enough to see if it happens here.

OOOOOHHHHH

the new thing around here is for guys to mount marine speakers to the outside of the car, usually under the body out of sight. That way the "music" blasts through without being obscured by the interior of the car...

One step nearer the totally powered by sound car, no engine just bass speakers to push you in the direction you want to go.

BURR DA BURR DA BURRRR "what's that ?" "Oh it that kid across the road coming home from the mall".

AFAIK, Cali is about the only state that actually enforces the "loud car" (whether it's exhaust or stereo) law.

Kentucky does too. At least my cousin got a ticket for it a few years ago. I also don't hear them nearly as much as I used too. I admit all of this anecdotal though.

Concerning ear buds, there are some that have different sized pieces of rubber included so you can adjust them to better fit your ear. I'm considering getting a new pair myself sometime soon; however it's more due to my current ones sounding like crap and not them being uncomfortable.

I gotta say this about smartphones, I have one of the latest, the iPhone 4, it's great I love it. It has settled many an argument over silly random facts, it has alerted me to impending appointments, and kept me entertained on long trips, not to mention saved my bacon when the squadron does a recall. What I don't like is the way it makes people. When technology gets to the point it is now, it makes people stupid. I have a use for a smartphone, My commander, and first sergeant both have USAF issued blackberries, and use them on a daily basis, best way to get in touch with the first shirt is call his mobile. One of my fellow airmen is constantly glued to his smartphone, always texting, always on facebook, or whatever. Technology is not bad, nor do I hate any of it, I hate what it does to people. That said, here's my list of tech that people get dumb over:

1. Smartphones, when it feeds an addiction to the inane, (texting and social networking)

2. Social networking, used properly it doesn't bother me, but when I'm helping a co-worker out and he's checking facebook or whatever, while I'm working on his crap, it torques me off.

3. video games, I know GAH! He hates video games! No, I hate the tyrannical 10yr old F***tards on xbox live who are ridiculously good at Call of Duty or Halo, which would never have been in my games collection when I was 10. It's bad parenting. Then there are the 25yr old unemployed guys who live with their parents and do nothing but play video games, get a life and a job and stop being a drain on society.

4. Bluetooth headsets, I have one, I have to because I use it when I need two hands, tell you what though, when I done with it, it goes into my pocket. If you are interacting with people, take the F***ing thing out of your ear, and hang up the phone, it's rude.

Well there you have it, My list of dislikes, as you can see I don't hate the tech, I hate what it does to people's social skills. Will tell you this, I hope they never go all Ghost in the Shell on us and start blurring the line between man and machine, then I'll never be able to tell when someone's not paying attention to what I'm saying. Also, take this away from my post, when things are being used properly and in moderation it's almost never bad. FYI, the smartphone is quite versatile, the army has been looking into using them for all kinds of tactical applications: calling in airstrikes, ranging targets, shot counters, ballistics calculators, detainee processing, intel gathering, you name a tactical application, you might just see an app for that.

Technology is not bad, nor do I hate any of it, I hate what it does to people. That said, here's my list of tech that people get dumb over:

1. Smartphones, when it feeds an addiction to the inane, (texting and social networking)

2. Social networking, used properly it doesn't bother me, but when I'm helping a co-worker out and he's checking facebook or whatever, while I'm working on his crap, it torques me off.

3. video games, I know GAH! He hates video games! No, I hate the tyrannical 10yr old F***tards on xbox live who are ridiculously good at Call of Duty or Halo, which would never have been in my games collection when I was 10. It's bad parenting. Then there are the 25yr old unemployed guys who live with their parents and do nothing but play video games, get a life and a job and stop being a drain on society.

4. Bluetooth headsets, I have one, I have to because I use it when I need two hands, tell you what though, when I done with it, it goes into my pocket. If you are interacting with people, take the F***ing thing out of your ear, and hang up the phone, it's rude.

Ditto

I have a strong dislike towards the word: power-cycling, which applies to a wide variety of technology. because words like restart, or just turn off then on, are not sufficient!

To one who has never heard the term before, it sounds like Scotty rerouting the Enterprise's power through the EPS conduit to prevent the warp core from going critical.