YAMATO Fan Racer: Canopy Problems?

miriya

If you have a YAMATO Fan Racer....  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Does your canopy close all the way?

• Yes, no problem
    • No, it wont shut
    • I have applied a FIX and will tell you about it

This weekend I painted and built up my YAMATO 1/60 Fan Racer kit. I have done a decent job with a custom color scheme but upon completion I have now realized that the Canopy will not close all the way. For me this is a big bummer because it really looks best all sleek with it closed and I dont want to glue it closed with my borrowed pilot figure in there. I will post pictures once I get new batteries for my camera.

How many of you are having the same problem?

Does your canopy close all the way? Only vote if you actually have one and have either test fitted or built up completely.

Do any of you have a fix for this? If so please share.

This is from >EXO< in a PM conversation "I've been running into the same thing. I've sanded the bottom and the back of the canopy and I've reduced it but never gotten rid of the problem. Maybe you should open up a thread?"

I have the same problem :unsure:

I applied a small amount on the peg of the canopy from the type of glue/adhesive used for rubber, leather, cork. It's basically rubber cement (the one that has toluene). It's completely reversible. You only have to apply a drop on the peg and another on the hole where the peg makes contact.

I have the same problem :unsure:

I applied a small amount on the peg of the canopy from the type of glue/adhesive used for rubber, leather, cork. It's basically rubber cement (the one that has toluene). It's completely reversible. You only have to apply a drop on the peg and another on the hole where the peg makes contact.

Thank you! I am going to try that. It may be a good temporary solution that does not require me to disassemble my build up.

It is too bad that they made the canopy like this though. I wonder if it is only on the first release or the second one too?

Is yours first or second release? Mine is first.

>EXO< is yours first or second?

Graham, do you know if Yamato knows about this canopy problem? Any chance of a replacement that stays closed?

The one I'm working on and the ones that I have worked on is a 1st issue and they're all like that. I think they're all going to be like that and I doubt that Yamato would change it because 1.) they're pretty much done with it. They've ran it a couple of times and even the one change the made (besides color) is the addition of the pilot. And they didn't make a metal mold with that. Hikaru is resin not plastic. And 2.) It's a kit. Which pretty much means you have to build it and do all the customization and fixes yourself. If it was sold as a toy I can see it them perfecting it but the fact that it's targeted at semi experienced builders means we're pretty SOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

The Rubber cement would not hold and I tried sanding the canopy. The pieces are so tightly fit together, even though I did not use glue, I still can not pry it apart to sand the hidden parts of the canopy. Kind of a bummer. I am considering just gluing the canopy closed.

It looks like it's the rear part of the cockpit that is maybe built up a little too high and prevents the canopy from closing properly. When I finally do build mine, I'll keep playing with the sanding portion. Maybe there's a way to put a spring in there that will keep it from popping up. Options, options.

It looks like it's the rear part of the cockpit that is maybe built up a little too high and prevents the canopy from closing properly. When I finally do build mine, I'll keep playing with the sanding portion. Maybe there's a way to put a spring in there that will keep it from popping up. Options, options.

Cool. I look forward to seeing what you do. I am even considering picking up another one of these while they are still available on HLJ.

Cool. I look forward to seeing what you do. I am even considering picking up another one of these while they are still available on HLJ.

I'll be doing whatever fix I need to do on the first one, so that when I get the one that comes with the Angel Bird toy, I won't have to mess that one up. Aren't they like 2000 yen at hlj? I may have to get another as well.

Didn't the Fan Racer canopy open FORWARD (hinged at the front of the cockpit)?

Nice job... Just thought it opened the other way.

Edited by Skull-1

Yep you're right then. Sorry. Was hoping I had discovered the key to the problem.

What about that "fan jet" that Minmay won? It had tandem cockpit but they also opened aft?

I wonder what I saw that made me think forward... Joint Strike Fighter? GI Joe Dragonfly?

Cursed old brain cells.

I wish somebody would make the "Fanlighter" or whatever the Minmay one was called...that would be sweet---I don't remember what happened with my fan racer canopy, i just remember I had to cut some little pegs off or down for it fit right or something...it's closed permanently, but meh...whatever..still love it!

ohh--and SWEET setup Miriya!!! :o

Edited by derex3592