Collecting Collectables

Just curious about MW members collecting habits.

What do you collect and why?

Will you stop collecting at some point and why?

Have your interests in collecting one line over another waned? For me I have a lot of transformers but the recent designs have left me delused with the Brand and Started getting into MG/AC kits and SOC.

Whats the maximum you will spend on one toy?

Whats the maximum you will spend in a year?

Whats your spouse, partner think about your collection?

How do you like to display your collection?

Do you get more excited about finding your white elephant and then get meloncholy once in your possession?

Just wondering

I like to collect copied & pasted excerpts onto text files of internet flame wars & arguments I have won. I have a separate folder with those I have lost, as feedback and analysis is key to improving argumentation performance. Recently had to buy an external HD for extra storage ;_; .

Transforming robots, movies, video games

I don't thinks so. I don't know, but I must be stopped!

Have your interests in collecting one line over another waned?

Yeah. It's gone back and forth from GI Joe to Transformers. Transformers wins.

$200 - Beagle Ride Armor

I'm afraid to keep track.

My wife is a total enabler. She must be stopped, too.

Display cases.

Do you get more excited about finding your white elephant and then get meloncholy once in your possession?

No. I move on to another white elephant.

Just wondering

Among other things, I collect art books from mecha anime titles.

If my interest in mechanical design ever wanes or it gets too expensive, I'll probably stop collecting... though I'm fairly conservative in my acquisition habits so getting burned out hasn't been an issue.

Not really applicable to my situation... but since my interests are fairly diverse I haven't really managed to burn myself out on any one title.

Don't collect toys, for the most part... though I'll go up to about $100 or so in rare cases when something genuinely appeals to me.

On art books? $500 tops, if I run across a bunch of titles on my wish list. Models/toys are something I don't normally collect, so I think the most I've ever spent in one year was ~$120 (incl. shipping).

My ex shared my hobby, so it was never a source of contention. My new girlfriend is somewhat amused by it since mecha isn't really her thing, but since I don't tease her about the stuff that she collects, it's all good.

On a bookshelf in my study.

I did once... when I found several rare Macross II art books and magazine features, but then Macross Chronicle came along to give me something to get good and angry about, and that pushed the melancholy out of my head. Now I'm just slightly amused that I apparently know more about Macross II than Chronicle's writers.

What do you collect and why? Used to collect Macross variable fighters, GI Joe, 1/18 WWII fighters, anime girl statues, etc.

Will you stop collecting at some point and why? Already have-collecting isn't worth the money and I don't see the point of something that just sits there all day.

Have your interests in collecting one line over another waned? For me I have a lot of transformers but the recent designs have left me delused with the Brand and Started getting into MG/AC kits and SOC. N/A

Whats the maximum you will spend on one toy? Lol, I remember I spent $1400 on a Bandai Strike Valkyrie during the Macross drought of the 90's. Dumbest thing I ever did...

Whats the maximum you will spend in a year? Used to be that the sky was the limit. Now, I won't spend a dime on the stuff...

Whats your spouse, partner think about your collection? She thinks as I do-a waste of time, space, effort...

How do you like to display your collection? I still have my Macross variable fighters. They're all over my place in F-mode collecting dust...

Do you get more excited about finding your white elephant and then get meloncholy once in your possession? I'm over the holy grail mentality of collecting-usually, when you get that FINAL piece, that Holy Grail, you realize "it's just a rusty tin cup" and I was fine without it...

Edited by myk

Some anime figures but mainly I collect Star Wars replicias and busts,also collect Macross things and Chaos Comics Purgatori/Lady Death,Swords and Armour and Warhammer 40k.

Nah,probably not. Only if i run out of shelf space without making it look messy.

Nope,always something cool.

hmm,probably 600 an somethin,it wasnt a toy tho,was a LE Boba Fett helmet signed by Jeremy Bolloch.

Not alot,i limit myself.

Still a single man so its all good,but everyone thats seen it has always loved it as its not a huge collection but just right.

Well my shelf space is already full so most of it is still in boxes until i get a glass cabinet is my goal.

I have came across things that are awesome,but havent seen my holy grail yet but no doubt id get overly excited when i do.

:)

I collect Transformers and Macross toys, as those were the top two franchises I grew up with. I also collect Gundam model kits and diecast model cars occasionally.

I've stopped collecting model cars due to a lack of space in my apartment.

Transformers for me was an on-again/off-again deal. I enjoyed G1 as much as everyone else here, but steered away from G2, Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Car Robots/Robots in Disguise rejuvenated my interest, but Armada and Energon killed it for me. I didn't regain interest until Alternators came out.

The most I've spent was over US$200 for my VF-25S Armored Messiah.

I'd probably spend a maximum total of US$1,000 a year on toys.

I have a shelf and a bedroom table.

Do you get more excited about finding your white elephant and then get melancholy once in your possession?

There is no such thing as a Holy Grail on my collection list.

Nightmare Before Christmas items, then if nothing else is found. Back to Macross.

I've contemplated the idea, but there are a lot of things out there that my wife, my daughter, and myself collect. Either collectively or seperately.

Not really, there various things that I get into. It all comes down to circumstance. At one point I owned 8 classics 60's/70's muscle-cars. Then gas and insurance laws killed my collection.

I'd like to plea the fifth amendment.

Please see my previous answer.

Depends on what I acquire. Robots, no, bad, bad, bad. Nightmare good, nice, nice, nice.

In the garage, where it's safe. Some items throughout the house.

Kind of, but then again, there is always something out-there more elusive than your own white elephant.

*Personally, I'd much rather chase pink elephants. :p

Just wondering

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Obscure Robots that have interested me. Anything from Anime Mecha to a T-800 exoskeleton, to a wind-up toy I had as a kid. I've got quite a collection of Gundam models, too.

I doubt it. It's a fun and harmless hobby. In addition to the figures I have, the models give me something fun and constructive to do.

Not really. I'm just too poor to get everything I want all at once, so it keeps the interest going.

The max I spent was about $200, for the PG 00-Raiser model.

Not too much. Again, low funds limit my spending. The only reason I was able to get the Raiser model was my income-tax refund.

N/A

So far, I haven't gotten a proper display case, so everything I've got is still in it's box.

Not particularly. I've got more stuff that I want, so I haven't found my true 'White Elephant' yet. About the closest was the Yamato 1/60 Tomahawks.

Edited by Robelwell202

I collect a lot of different stuff. Most of it's digital... I'll collect TV rips, comic book scans, ebooks, ROMS, ISOs, etc. Most of the time it's for stuff I already have in another format; for example, I have the Firefly Blu-ray box set, but I also have a DVD that I burned AVIs for each episode onto. Speaking of physical media, I have an ok CD collection, a large-for-my-apartment library, two shelves on a media rack of console video games, a shelf of Blu-rays, and a shelf of DVDs I've yet to replace with Blu-rays, as well as a smaller bookshelf near my desk full of PC games, plus I've got small stacks of PSP and DS games and a box of GBA games.

If we're speaking more specifically of toys, I only really collect Transformers. I have two or three 1/144 Gundam kits I built, two die-cast Enterprises, and a Hot Wheels Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X that looks about as similar to the Lancer GTS I actually drive as an actual Evo X would. I bought those toys on whims. Oh, I started to collect the 4" Iron Man 2 figures, but I'd only bought 4 of them before reports started going around about the new Transformers Generations toys hitting shelves. Since I'm more interested in Transformers, I quit on Iron Man.

Bittorrent, possibly. Physical media, doubtful. Transformers, I have no plans to, but unforeseen financial difficulties could occur, and if I can only choose one thing to spend my leisure funds on, video games trump toys for me.

Have your interests in collecting one line over another waned? For me I have a lot of transformers but the recent designs have left me delused with the Brand and Started getting into MG/AC kits and SOC.

I really only started collecting Transformers when the first Classics line came out. I grew up with Transformers, and the nostalgia factor is what motivated me to start collecting them. My interests waned when the movie came out; I'd only bought a handful of toys, and all of them were characters who were actually in the movie. I had a renewed interest when Universe brought back the Classics, then my interest waned again with Animated (for the record, I LOVED the show, I just didn't care for the cartoony toys). I'd pretty much given up on Transformers with Revenge of the Fallen and, as I mentioned, started to look at the Iron Man 2 toys after really enjoying the film, but Transformers Generations has me fully back into Transformers.

Tough question. Mostly I stick to the Deluxe and Voyager class Transformers (although I did get most of the Universe Ultras). Anything larger tends to take up too much space and is too expensive. Expense is also why I almost never import a toy. The exceptions to the size and expense rule would be Universe Unicron and the Masterpiece figures; I've bought all of the ones released in the US so far. The solitary exception to my import rule was MP Megatron. That leaves MP Megs as my most expensive toy at around $100 when all as said and done, but on average I don't pay more than $25 per toy.

Depends on how many and what size are in a given Transformers line. I collected all of the Classics, most of the non-repaint Universe toys, and I'll probably collect all of the Generations toys. So I guess a few hundred dollars.

She doesn't mind me buying the toys. While $12.99 here and there can add up real quick, I rarely spend more than $50 at a time, so it doesn't bother her. She's a little upset at how they've kind of taken over our apartment, though.

The two Enterprises are flanking my monitor. The Hot Wheels Evo and the Gundam kits are on the bookshelf with the PC games. My desk has a raised section where CD roms go, and my MP Transformers are on that.

Where things get hair is that I have a long bookshelf next to a filing cabinet, and My Classics/Universe Decepticons are sprawled out over it (Animated Waspinator and Blackarachnia, as well as movie Barricade and RotF Sideways and Bludgeon help fill out the Decepticon ranks). On a table at a right angle to and near the Decepticon shelf are my Classics/Universe Autobots. Unicron is on a small stand in the corner between them. The rest of the Transformers I have (mostly movie and Animated, but with a few random others) are in boxes in a closet.

The opposite. For one thing, toys like RotF Voyager Mindwipe never turned up in my area. Not at Target, not at Walmart, not at Toys R Us, not anywhere. I only saw Bludgeon once at Walmart; thank goodness I bought him then. For another, I can be random about what I decide to buy. For example, I wasn't really interested in Alternators, but since Prime is my favorite Autobot, I eventually decided to buy Alternators Prime... only to find them all gone by then. So now, when new figures start to release, I'll drive to my three local options multiple times throughout the week. Every so often, I'll drive out to a Walmart or a TRU in one of the next towns over. I'll obsess, because I'm worried I won't be able to find one of the toys I want. Once I found all the toys from a line or wave that I want, then I'll play with them and mellow for a while before either boxing them or adding them to the standoff.

Yamato Macross DYRL 1/60, Macross books, CDs and games, old A Bathing Ape clothes, old Stussy clothes, old w)taps clothes, old Supreme clothes, old deadstock Air Jordans, vintage Levi`s, Rolex watches, glasses frames, sunglasses, `90s Sony electronics (discmans, walkmans, headphones, amps, video decks), old video game consoles and original games only (screw emulators, PS2, Sega Saturn, PC Engine/Super CD Rom, SNES, Neo Geo AES, PC-FX, Virtual Boy, PSP, PS3), American comic books (Marvel GI Joe, old Punisher, The `Nam - still filling in the gaps since high school) old Japanese streetwear magazines, old Jpop CDs, Soul and Hip Hop CDs, rare Minidiscs, DVDs, Blu-rays, Herman Miller furniture.

Why? I love too much stuff.

No way, I`m a born collector, its part of who I am.

Once I decide to collect something I never waver.

A toy? Eventually I`d like to get into `80s Bandai Macross and I guess my limit would be around $1K for a single valkyrie.

Everything I make, plus credit cards

Dont have a partner

I hang a lot of my clothes on my walls, display some jordans on my desk sometimes, have my macross collection on a couple of shelves with glass doors to protect from dust.

I have so many grails that I`m never satisfied but each grail that comes into my possession is usually even more beautiful than I had expected and I love it more than life.