I don't think Berzerk counts as the player is just a human and not piloting a mecha even if it may be the first to feature robot enemies.

So you were looking for PILOTED mecha as main characters, got it. There was also Namco's Finest Hour, quite a rare find at the arcades.

To bad they never really existed on SS.

That beat-em-up is still the best Alien based game, IMO.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Black Valkyrie, is it hard to do these custom covers? i love them, at least for the games i remember... was that called ryzor or contra on that saturn cover with the dual pack...

not sure about beat em ups but i really loved the aliens game done none other than by konami. i felt that was the best alien game ever.

beat it with a quarter as well:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I'm up for a Snatcher remake/sequel. Every now and again you'll see it referenced in modern games (my favorite nod to the series was in fallout 3 with the note and the tiny house) but you don't hear much out of Konami about it. I wonder what a modern Snatcher game would look like anyways, maybe something like LA Noir?

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just remember final fight for snes was stupid bc you couldn't select Guy. then they come out with final fight "Guy" just let us select all three. Meanwhile (bare-knuckles) street of rage you can pick from three characters and had so many on screen characters/enemies at once compared to final fight snes.

i just remember final fight for snes was stupid bc you couldn't select Guy. then they come out with final fight "Guy" just let us select all three. Meanwhile (bare-knuckles) street of rage you can pick from three characters and had so many on screen characters/enemies at once compared to final fight snes.

The biggest blasphemy was the lack of a two player mode in the snes version. I did enjoy 2 and 3 though.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Guy not being included in the 1st SNES home version was very traumatic for me..

Has anyone seen the SALAMANDER anime (Gradius)? I recently acquired all three of the OAV; Haruiko Mikimoto did the character designs..

really? an anime exist on one of my favorite retro game series!! i still play salamander in my downtime. let me know how you like it. i may want to pick it up.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

on the back cover i see the vic viper and the (road) lord british space destroyer, the distinction of the twin thrust and single. like in the arcades.

the only thing that bothered me for the nes verision of salamander both ships had twin thrust, while gradius had a single thrust. hated they left out that detail. but the nes version had so much extra that the arcade didn't have.

i just watch the first OVA and it seems to have the bosses from the nes/famicom game.

also i played the super famicom verision of final fight and super E.D.F. with that simple mod to file off those two small tabs in the snes.

posting up that cool MSX vid on the overview of the game including tidbits on the history of the gm including the original arcade music composer:

Nice covers as always!!!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I have always had a deep distaste over that Robocop game ever since my childhood 7-11 store replaced the SHINOBI machine with it. SHINOBI was soo much better...

I only saw this game twice during my youth in all the arcades I've ever been to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_LY94PmqmA

I remember thinking it was the bestest game ever. Now that I got it to finally work on MAME, it almost brings a nostalgic tear to my eye when I boot it up.

I have always had a deep distaste over that Robocop game ever since my childhood 7-11 store replaced the SHINOBI machine with it. SHINOBI was soo much better...

I only saw this game twice during my youth in all the arcades I've ever been to:

I remember thinking it was the bestest game ever. Now that I got it to finally work on MAME, it almost brings a nostalgic tear to my eye when I boot it up.

Cobra Command also known as Thunder Storm on some machines was my favorite arcade game when I was around 13 and the only arcade game that I could beat! I've always loved the into theme to that game. In fact, I loved it enough that I actually took a tape recorder into an arcade to record it.

The animation for the game was produced by Toei.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i beat shinobi in a quarter plenty of times. (one of my favorite games of all time) i could go on a limb and say in one life but i can't beat Mandara and sometimes Lobster on the first try, other than that, i can beat the game provided that i remember the ninja pattern in stage 5-2.

i didn't know you get a special bonus each stage for not using any projectile. This crazy dude does it for every stage:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Cobra Command also known as Thunder Storm on some machines was my favorite arcade game when I was around 13 and the only arcade game that I could beat! I've always loved the into theme to that game. In fact, I loved it enough that I actually took a tape recorder into an arcade to record it.

The animation for the game was produced by Toei.

Yeah, it was the same for me, but I never thought about taking a recording of it. I should have, considering how rarely I saw the machine.

i beat shinobi in a quarter plenty of times. (one of my favorite games of all time) i could go on a limb and say in one life but i can't beat Mandara and sometimes Lobster on the first try, other than that, i can beat the game provided that i remember the ninja pattern in stage 5-2.

i didn't know you get a special bonus each stage for not using any projectile. This crazy dude does it for every stage:

Well, not EVERY stage, he biffs it on 2-2 and later on, but I never knew you could "bump" your way through the statues on the Mandara boss! Those things always drove me nuts.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

Yeah, it was the same for me, but I never thought about taking a recording of it. I should have, considering how rarely I saw the machine.

Believe it or not, Cobra Command was in quite a few arcades down by me. I can think of about five arcades in my area that had the game. What's really sad is that out of those five, only one of those arcades is still open. All the others are long gone.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Believe it or not, Cobra Command was in quite a few arcades down by me. I can think of about five arcades in my area that had the game. What's really sad is that out of those five, only one of those arcades is still open. All the others are long gone.

where's that arcade... is it in NJ? there was one in chinatown (NYC) but they closed down and the owners reopened in Brooklyn and made it into a console fighting game place. i haven't seen an arcade in years. (i guess i haven't looked around)

Back in the 80's the one in 34th Penn Station was my favorite arcade (it was called Space Station? i believe). they had mach 3 and firefox, but i didn't even know what was going on back then to understand the tech behind it...

there was this one game that tricked me. i hated konami for it. i spend my precious 50 cents on it and it wasn't what i thought it was initially.

take a look at the first 30 seconds of this vid,

demo mode showed a tomcat. and i thought i was going to be an F-14 tomcat from the intro and then i'm a helicopter!!! i wanted my 50 cents back... (i was only 7, so i didn't make it far to see the plane section)

Ever since then i never put in a quarter until i saw someone else play it.

Freakin A-JAX :angry::p

Edited by davidwhangchoi

where's that arcade... is it in NJ? there was one in chinatown (NYC) but they closed down and the owners reopened in Brooklyn and made it into a console fighting game place. i haven't seen an arcade in years. (i guess i haven't looked around)

Back in the 80's the one in 34th Penn Station was my favorite arcade (it was called Space Station? i believe). they had mach 3 and firefox, but i didn't even know what was going on back then to understand the tech behind it...

That last arcade is down in Point Pleasant in Ocean County. It doesn't have Cobra Command anymore, though. I hope that I didn't confuse you there. I only meant that it was the only arcade that's still around, not the only arcade to have the game.

Threre's also a very large retro-arcade in Chicago called The Galloping Ghost. They also have Cobra Command, but it wasn't up and running when I was there during this past June. That arcade also has the DYRL game.

Red Bank, NJ also has a retro-arcade, Yestercades, but it's nowhere near as big as The Galloping Ghost or American Classic Arcade Museum.

Red Bank, NJ also has a retro-arcade, Yestercades, but it's nowhere near as big as The Galloping Ghost or American Classic Arcade Museum.

I'll have to get to yestercades someday, I've been itching to play some of the classics. There are some arcades down in Ocean City, Wildwood and Sea Isle but they mostly have modern arcade games.