Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

I think the YF-19 will make it out, as for the 21, I think if it got as far as tool cutting stage, then it will make it out one way or another. If it never made it past resin stage, then I'd worry. I don't think the economic situation(s) is going to change for a while....so I'm crossing my fingers Bandai keeps on with the VF HI METAL line. Of all their recent Macross lines, toy-wise, this seems to have done the best.

I think the YF-19 will make it out, as for the 21, I think if it got as far as tool cutting stage, then it will make it out one way or another. If it never made it past resin stage, then I'd worry. I don't think the economic situation(s) is going to change for a while....so I'm crossing my fingers Bandai keeps on with the VF HI METAL line. Of all their recent Macross lines, toy-wise, this seems to have done the best.

If the YF-21 got as far the tooling being cut, it would get made. You don't pay all that money for tooling and not make the product, unless you are bankrupt (which Bandai ain't, AFAIK).

IIRC, we've only seen pics of a resin Hi-Metal YF-21 sculpt, not an actual ABS test shot from the molds (although I may be remembering wrongly).

Graham

Sounds like a few others have heard similar things to what I've heard. These rumors mostly come from the fact that Bandai has made some appearances at toy shows and the like and have stopped showing off the future of the Hi-Metal line. In the beginning they were hot to trot to show the potential of the line and roll out a bunch of products but now they seem apprehensive and the only new thing we're seeing is a repaint.

Sounds like a few others have heard similar things to what I've heard. These rumors mostly come from the fact that Bandai has made some appearances at toy shows and the like and have stopped showing off the future of the Hi-Metal line. In the beginning they were hot to trot to show the potential of the line and roll out a bunch of products but now they seem apprehensive and the only new thing we're seeing is a repaint.

It's not just the Hi-Metal Macross line that seems to be in trouble. I've read that the whole "completed toys" segment is in decline. Even Gundam. The future of GFFMC, GFFN, and SHCM lines are seen as troubled.

It's not just the Hi-Metal Macross line that seems to be in trouble. I've read that the whole "completed toys" segment is in decline. Even Gundam. The future of GFFMC, GFFN, and SHCM lines are seen as troubled.

yeah, the stuff I read said that kids ad young adults are more interested in video games now then toys. So when you figure in that the anime market in general is shrinking and now having to compete with games... it's not looking so hot.

I think this is an area where plamo is showing increased interest and viability. No added costs of labor for assembling/painting the models, and more frequent production runs whereas toys have shorter ones and aren't released anywhere near as often. Not to mention, compared to toys, plamo tends to have more variety of scale. It also doesn't help, that when comparing toys(DX Macross VF-25's, GFFMC, GFFN, SHCMpro), to their plamo counterparts(1/72 VF-25's, MG/HG/RG), with the exception of the SHCMpro, most fans(arguably) prefer the plamo to their toy counterparts(however the RG might be more preferred than SHCMpro but I'm not sure).

Hell a lot of Macross fans prefer the 1/72 Macross F models to the DX releases, and I don't think anyone is going to argue that Gundam toys outsell Gundam plamo.

However I do have some faith that VF HI METAL will stick around. Smaller size, popular scale(in general, not so much Macross outside of plamo), and compared to most other Macross toys aside from Revoltech and Toynami's 1/100 line, VF HI METAL has the cheapest price for a nearly perfect transformation Valk toy with minimal diecast content.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Sweet... a whole generation coming up of kids with no imagination of their own :(

But a toy is just a replica of something from a previously created show or form of media, no real imagination there just playing with a figure. Games these days have options, RPG's are much more imaginative then an action figure or huge over-priced toy, I'm in the game industry, I just couldn't stand by.

But a toy is just a replica of something from a previously created show or form of media, no real imagination there just playing with a figure. Games these days have options, RPG's are much more imaginative then an action figure or huge over-priced toy, I'm in the game industry, I just couldn't stand by.

You have to realize the way an adult "plays" with a toy is not the way a child does. Kids cooperatively play with each other, creating new narratives, role playing, re-purposing toys from other lines, etc. It's a much more involved process than simply having something they saw from a TV show.

And while there are sandbox type games, most games are not this. If you play halo you're playing halo. 99% of games don't allow the user to create their own narrative, create their own figures and even many multiplayer/cooperative games today don't even have a shared console mode thereby removing the social aspect of group play that's vital and necessary for kids to develop social skills.

Toys also help develop spatial and engineering thinking that, again, most games don't offer. Just because a game may feature "physics" doesn't go nearly as far in teaching a child how physics actually work compared to building something out of blocks, legos, or other other comparable toys.

I'm a parent and I see a huge difference between children who play with toys and have little to no screen time, compared to children who spend the majority of their play time watching tv or playing games. Greater attention spans, better socialization, increased vocabulary and more complex sentence structures (grouping of words and ideas and concepts).

Edited by eugimon

It all comes down to what an individual does, but there can be a LOT more role playing with toys than just "playing with a figure". Just sitting with a figure and shaking it around going "durrr" (which is how I play with toys as an adult) might not take any imagination, but true role playing with them does. When I was a kid I created entire worlds, species, habitats, teams, missions, goals, victories, failures, relationships, pretty much every aspect of life with my figures and vehicles. I know I wasn't the only one. I also grew up with video games (less immersive ones, sure, but addicting and time-consuming nonetheless) and while I loved them (and still do) I always preferred to be outside actually doing something, and that almost always involved having some action figures with me.

Edited by eriku

You have to realize the way an adult "plays" with a toy is not the way a child does. Kids cooperatively play with each other, creating new narratives, role playing, re-purposing toys from other lines, etc. It's a much more involved process than simply having something they saw from a TV show.

And while there are sandbox type games, most games are not this. If you play halo you're playing halo. 99% of games don't allow the user to create their own narrative, create their own figures and even many multiplayer/cooperative games today don't even have a shared console mode thereby removing the social aspect of group play that's vital and necessary for kids to develop social skills.

Toys also help develop spatial and engineering thinking that, again, most games don't offer. Just because a game may feature "physics" doesn't go nearly as far in teaching a child how physics actually work compared to building something out of blocks, legos, or other other comparable toys.

I'm a parent and I see a huge difference between children who play with toys and have little to no screen time, compared to children who spend the majority of their play time watching tv or playing games. Greater attention spans, better socialization, increased vocabulary and more complex sentence structures (grouping of words and ideas and concepts).

Hm, maybe it was just me, but the figures I had I used to create scenarios I already knew, but I just wanted to recreate in any way I could, I didn't have starship troopers figs but I had big bugs and Gi Joes. So I guess some imagination, and at the same time no imagination, just pretend play. On another note, anyone have any details or releases for the hi-metal DRYL valks?

Hm, maybe it was just me, but the figures I had I used to create scenarios I already knew, but I just wanted to recreate in any way I could, I didn't have starship troopers figs but I had big bugs and Gi Joes. So I guess some imagination, and at the same time no imagination, just pretend play. On another note, anyone have any details or releases for the hi-metal DRYL valks?

Roy's Strike valk is scheduled for next month, the VF-1A Super Valks I think are for early 2011. I really hope the YF-21 and YF-19 got as far as tool cutting, I honestly think they might do well, being that the only other alternative(s) cost $100 more(1/60 YF-19 and YF-21, assuming that VF HI METAL versions would be ¥7800 at most).

Roy's Strike valk is scheduled for next month, the VF-1A Super Valks I think are for early 2011. I really hope the YF-21 and YF-19 got as far as tool cutting, I honestly think they might do well, being that the only other alternative(s) cost $100 more(1/60 YF-19 and YF-21, assuming that VF HI METAL versions would be ¥7800 at most).

Hm a hi-metal YF-19 that would be as good a quality as my iJ does sound quite awesome.

Man, I would be really disappointed if the Plus Valks don't make it into the Hi-Metal line. I do have the 1/60 toys, but as I said before, I have always seen them as more of display pieces than actual toys, especially with the super floppy YF-19.

Plus is, and will always be, my favorite Macross series and it would be a dream come true to have actual transformable, playable and poseable figures that are of a manageable size. And as mentioned above, especially with the YF-19 and 21, there designs are more small-size friendly and don't require much part-swapping.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how well the Hi-Metal line is selling? From what I've seen, the line seems to be very well received all round.

Oh, just as a side note, other than eBay, is there any other store that still offers the VF-1J Hi-Metal? I'm in dire need of one that is not at a blown up price.

Edited by Actar

Man, I would be really disappointed if the Plus Valks don't make it into the Hi-Metal line. I do have the 1/60 toys, but as I said before, I have always seen them as more of display pieces than actual toys, especially with the super floppy YF-19.

Plus is, and will always be, my favorite Macross series and it would be a dream come true to have actual transformable, playable and poseable figures that are of a manageable size. And as mentioned above, especially with the YF-19 and 21, there designs are more small-size friendly and don't require much part-swapping.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how well the Hi-Metal line is selling? From what I've seen, the line seems to be very well received all round.

Oh, just as a side note, other than eBay, is there any other store that still offers the VF-1J Hi-Metal? I'm in dire need of one that is not at a blown up price.

My VF-19Kai has become floppy after several transformation. The poseability is in question after a while...

My VF-19Kai has become floppy after several transformation. The poseability is in question after a while...

I myself have transformed my VF-19 Kai numerous times as well, however the only part that truly became loose was the wings/skirt armor in Battroid mode. Other than some paint scratches here and there, mine is holding up pretty okay.

• 5 months later...

Any update with this line or Bandai cancelled it ?

I ordered the hi-metal kaki,hikaru, and max 1A DYRL set a few months ago, I got an email about a week ago saying the release date would be 5/5/11. Other than this DYRL set I haven't heard anything else from this line.

Something new will probably be shown at the upcoming Shizuoka Hobby Show.

If I'm not mistaken, the Japanese hobby mag that shows the YF-21 Hi-Metal prototype last year said that it will be released after the current (VF-1's, VF-19S, VF-19kai) model is on sale. So going with the skull squadron release this month, Bandai should roll something for the Hi-Metal line, if not on the Shizuoka Hobby Show, maybe in the coming months.

But seriously, if Bandai does roll out the Hi-Metal YF-21, I'm going to buy 3... For support of the line B)) One for display, one MISB, and one to swoosh around until something broke.

Edit: found this link from HLJ about Shizuoka Hobby Show respective brand previews HLJ Shizuoka Hobby Preview no Hi-Metal, but I think the list is for summer release, so no prototype news until the real show.

Edited by Midi_Amp

I'm very hyped about the Hi-Metal YF-21. I'm a huge fan of that design, and being a Battroid guy, Yamato's was a huge disappointing to me. Bandai's looks amazing so far. If Bandai releases it, I'll buy multiples too.

Excited here as well, but I'm more of a Fighter guy and the Hi-Metal prototype Fighter and Gerwalk mode looks a bit chubby. Battroid mode looks mighty fine though and worth the purchase just for that.

On the other hand, still pinning for a Hi-Metal VF-2SS B))

I gotta say the 21 has a VERY ugly battroid and gerwalk mode, but I am likin the fighter, and it's probably gonna be a lot cheaper than wasting money on more yamato products. I'm pretty happy with the hi-metal line so far, except for my 1J's backpack, and as long as my DYRL 1A set is as nice as my Fokker 1S. this 21 could make a fine addition.

I gotta say the 21 has a VERY ugly battroid and gerwalk mode,[snip]

Eh I think they're sexy, different strokes for different folks i suppose :). Also the fighter(the 22 even more so)is probably the best thing that's came out of Kawamori's mind, imo. I want like a squadron of these. :wacko:

Eh I think they're sexy, different strokes for different folks i suppose :). Also the fighter(the 22 even more so)is probably the best thing that's came out of Kawamori's mind, imo. I want like a squadron of these. :wacko:

I guess the battroid isn't too bad, and I love the fighter, but the gerwalk just bothers me, either way I'd be in for one.

On the other hand, still pinning for a Hi-Metal VF-2SS B))

With proper heat shield if I may add ^_^

The only thing stopping me from buying the discounted Yamato VF-22 is the lack of heat shield for the canopy. Nice to see the cockpit rotated, but still prefer non rotating cockpit with a proper heat shield. Part swapping ahoy! But seriously, I don't mind part swapping here and there as long it's not VF-100 puzzle pieces. Hi-Metal VF-1 heat shield and option hand is very nice but I also don't mind with VF-19S/Kai neck piece, head laser and option hand too... Never really bothered with the leg filler piece.

I ordered the hi-metal kaki,hikaru, and max 1A DYRL set a few months ago, I got an email about a week ago saying the release date would be 5/5/11. Other than this DYRL set I haven't heard anything else from this line.

I've already got mine! No need to wait till 5/5. :)