HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

And of course they're tied together, it's people responding to official news related to a company. And since none of these people are legitimate in any sense, I don't see why you're giving them so much attention when they do this crap for a living and don't amount to much anyway.

Okay, I can kind of see what you're getting at, but remember that the reactions of the fans to the various news items that crop up is almost always a good metric for measuring the deterioration of the Robotech franchise as a whole. It may not be as relevant as Sylvain White's helpful hints, but it's still at least somewhat relevant.

Look. I understand you're bitter and frustrated with your dealings with the Robotech mods. I also understand that they've abused their position and participated in witch-hunts of their own devising.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that I'm just talking to myself when I post. Other times, I'm dead certain that I am. This is one of those times. The point that I'm trying laboriously to get to here has nothing to do with bitterness or any garbage like that. Really, I could not care less about being banned. What I'm getting at here is that we shouldn't accept "well he isn't being a dick right now" as a valid excuse to look the other way when he has a long history of acting like a dick and treating people badly.

I'll admit, I haven't been following this too closely after the initial reports. But yeah...if it went down as you say, that's unforgivable, and truly malicious. I'll check it out, and see if I can find anything more concrete than the rumors and editorializing that are flying about now.

Whether or not his specific intent was to get UEG to go after me with lawyers, I have no idea... but there is no doubt at all that he was trying to convince UEG that I was ultimately responsible for all their legal hardships. That's malice right there, and no doubt about it. Similarly, his attempt to point the finger at me and HP for the DeviantArt fiasco was just downright sleazy and unforgivable. If something had come of it, it could've been construed as criminal too, for that matter...

Okay, I can kind of see what you're getting at, but remember that the reactions of the fans to the various news items that crop up is almost always a good metric for measuring the deterioration of the Robotech franchise as a whole. It may not be as relevant as Sylvain White's helpful hints, but it's still at least somewhat relevant.

You didn't even have to go that far, WB considering Sylvain White of all people, regardless of The Loser's performance, is a good measurement for the franchise. The response from it was irrelevant, since some were going to ham it up anyway regardless of who was considered for key positions for the LAM.

Edited by Einherjar

While there are some really (trying to find a less abrasive word) "poor" choice desisions and statements people in the RT fandom have made, I have to agree on the question of why take them so seriously. Hell, I may have my dislikes, but I'm not taking them seriously, even though they are. What is Maverick's piss poor analysis going to change? What is Memo's lack, and downright twisting of info going to effect? What is dougbendo's eneducated rationale going to infiltrate? NOTHING. You're talking about these people as if they run the show, and they're nothing but side commentators for a few people to listen to. Now, aside from pointing out the obvious stupidity that seems to come up almost daily that we all point out, why let them affect you to the point of spending your life hating someone? I'd rather just not give a rat's @ss about them.

Seto, in your case, I can see why and how it could urk you that much, but you having that much of a problem with someone doesn't mean that we all have to take the same train. This isn't making excuses for their idiotic posts, comments, and actions, nor is it a reprieve for them either. But calling Gubaba a hypocrite for being able to converse with someone you can't stand is a little overboard.

You didn't even have to go that far, WB considering Sylvain White of all people, regardless of The Loser's performance, is a good measurement for the franchise. The response from it was irrelevant, since some were going to ham it up anyway regardless of who was considered for key positions for the LAM.

Eh, you're kind of missing the point here... the Harmony Gold kissasses themselves aren't the ones who matter, it's the ones they're trying to deceive that ultimately mean success or failure for the Robotech franchise. That so many of them are willing to believe that this fifth-string failure as a positive step for Robotech says a LOT about the current state of affairs in the Robotech franchise.

Seto, in your case, I can see why and how it could urk you that much, but you having that much of a problem with someone doesn't mean that we all have to take the same train. This isn't making excuses for their idiotic posts, comments, and actions, nor is it a reprieve for them either. But calling Gubaba a hypocrite for being able to converse with someone you can't stand is a little overboard.

Okay, I'm going to come right out and say it... did you all put your brains in backwards yesterday and today? I seldom see such an impressive hat trick when it comes to completely missing the point. For the last time, I'm not talking about Maverick and MEMO's behavior as though they actually mattered in the grand scheme of things. They don't. They never will. Now that that's said, let's knock you all off your soapboxes for a minute and make damn sure I get my point across clearly this time.

The point I've been trying laboriously to get to here is that while MEMO is out there busily slandering a bunch of people and trying to frame them for Harmony Gold's offense, genuinely working to incite the kind of hostility Gubaba claims he wants to forestall, Gubaba's coming here and telling us all (including the people MEMO is trying to frame) that we've all got to give MEMO another chance because he really is a wonderful person and that all of his trolling, malicious behavior, habitual lies, and other jackassery was done in fun and we all somehow just missed the farting joke. I'm sorry if you have problems understanding why, while all that's going on, we find you waxing poetic about what a wonderful, misunderstood person MEMO is a bit asinine.

Now where the hypocrisy comes in is in the difference between the way you're treating MEMO and the way you treated Pizza the Hutt. MEMO has NEVER attempted to apologize for any of the horribly offensive things he's done, and he's still trying to spread misinformation to cover Harmony Gold's ass and make UEG look like the bad guys. Yet Gubaba wants MEMO to be given a free pass for all of his malicious misdeeds because the two of them are suddenly best buds. Pizza the Hutt came here, hat in hand, and APOLOGIZED for what he did. He tried to make amends, and all Gubaba did was bait him and make snide remarks about him to me over the PM system, despite my repeated protests to give he kid a chance to make good on his promise to turn over a new leaf. No matter how you look at it, Gubaba's behavior is the very picture of hypocrisy, and he needs to realize that. He wants us to all give MEMO another chance when there's no sign that he wants to stop his malicious behavior, yet when someone who actually wants to put things right after acting like an ass comes here all he does is bait him and tell me that the guy doesn't deserve the chance. This is exactly how MEMO and PTH got along when MEMO was using PTH to antagonize people... "I'll look the other way so long as you're not coming after me".

I'm sorry if you think this is unduly hostile, but this is what I honestly thing and I'm not one for censoring my opinions just to make other people feel better about themselves. <_<

Now that I've said what I wanted to say, let's move on and get back to the topic at hand.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Whether or not his specific intent was to get UEG to go after me with lawyers, I have no idea... but there is no doubt at all that he was trying to convince UEG that I was ultimately responsible for all their legal hardships. That's malice right there, and no doubt about it. Similarly, his attempt to point the finger at me and HP for the DeviantArt fiasco was just downright sleazy and unforgivable. If something had come of it, it could've been construed as criminal too, for that matter...

Um, the victims knew exactly who and why the incident happened before MEMO ever said anything. They got the C&D from Harmony Gold, remember? And it's been painfully clear that he's not the best source of any reliable information, at all.

Eh, you're kind of missing the point here... the Harmony Gold kissasses themselves aren't the ones who matter, it's the ones they're trying to deceive that ultimately mean success or failure for the Robotech franchise. That so many of them are willing to believe that this fifth-string failure as a positive step for Robotech says a LOT about the current state of affairs in the Robotech franchise.

I'm either missing the point you're trying to make, being more knowledgeable and still sensitive to the Robotech fandom, or I just don't care enough for it compared to you. Look at the state of affairs for Robotech, you don't need to be smart at all to understand that something bad/weird has been going on for 3 years. Many should have got the point by now. If not, than it's their own damn fault. Same thing about believing anything MEMO, doug, or LSC say at all times.

Pizza learned the very hard lesson recently.

Edited by Einherjar

Um, the victims knew exactly who and why the incident happened before MEMO ever said anything. They got the C&D from Harmony Gold, remember?

yeah they got the C&D from HG but Memo was saying that Seto was the one who notified them about it.

same thing with the DA mess, memo tried to say Seto and myself contacted HG about it

Do I need to show an example of how "reliable" MEMO can be:

1.Are you at liberty to say who these people are, because for all we know this info could have all been from HG employees.

YES I AM. IN MY PART TIME JOB, I JUST HAPPEN TO WORK AND IN CHARGE OF A BUILDING HIGH RISE IN DOWNTOWN L.A. SINCE THERE ALREADY INDUSTRY PEOPLE LAWYERS THAT DEAL WITH THESE THINGS ALL THE TIME I JUST HAPPEN TO ASK MANNY OF THESE LAWYERS THE SAME QUESTIONS AND DIFFERENT SCENARIOS. WHO I ASK I CANT TELL. BUT WILL EXPLAIN MY FINDINGS IN A BIT. AND NO, ITS NOT HG LAWYERS OR STAFF. EVEN THOUGHT THEY AROUND ME I AM NOT PERVY TO INSIDE INFO LIKE TOM BATEMAN WAS AND WICH GOT HIM FIRED.

2. I say this because with things like the LAM coming out, you know, it's a big thing for many people, it would be nice to hear responses from other people/companies besides HG talk about things like this. Something that's not a HG convention report or notes from an informal interview with a HG crew member to even things out.

PROBLEM IS, THOSE AGAINST IT HERE IN MW AND RT.COM ARE SMALL APPLES COMPARED TO THE FANDOM OUT THERE. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, HG IS AT A LEGAL BIND WITH SAYING INFO THAT HAS TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE MOVIE. THATS THE WAY IT IS IN HOLLYWOOD. YOU BREAK THAT DEAL AND YOU BREAK OFF THE CHANCE OF MAKING A MOVIE. THESE STUDIOS FIGHT TO BE THE BEST AND PIC TEH RIGHT DAY FOR SHOWING. JIVING AND HUSTLING FOR REALESE DATES WHEN THEY KNOW THERE ARE OTHER COMPETITION MOVIES OUT THERE. WB WILL NOT TALK BECOUSE ITS NOT IN THEIR BEST INTREST TO DO SO. AND SAD FOR THE GOOD FANS BUT THEY DONT WORK LIKE US POSTERS DO.

3.They should take an active role in this now, what's their response? And I'm not talking about the recent ones relayed from WB to HG and then to the fans everywhere. They should be able to speak for themselves, they're Warner Bros.

LIKE I SAID ABOVE. WB DONT EVEN KNOW US SMALL APPLES FANS WITH ARGUMENTS AND QUESTIONS. THEY JUST SEE THE NUMBERS. AND THATS WHAT SHADOW CHRONICLES GENERATED. WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT, THEY WILL SAY SOMETHING AT COMIC CON. USUALLY LIKE A YEAR BEFORE ITS REALESE AT A WB PANEL.

4.And can you provide sources for all of this that were made later than 2002 and not made by someone who doesn't work for the company anymore?

HG BEEN TIGHT WITH ITS PAPERS FROM THOSE LEDIGATIONS. NO ONE HAS SEEN THEM AND ONLY TOM BATEMAN, EX EMPLOYEE FROM HG CAN TALK. BUT PROBLEM IS IT WILL ONLY SERVE HIS PURPOSE OF MAKING HG LOOK BAD. BUT HE KNOWS THAT HG COULD HAVE USED THE MACROSS DESIGNS IN HSADOW CHRONICLES AND FOUGHT FOR IT. YOU WOULD HAVE TO ASK JASONC, SINCE HE KNOWS THIS TRUTH AS WELL. YOUR ONLY SOURCE IS TOM BATEMA. BUT WE HAVE KINDA PARTED WAYS IN THESE SUCH MATERS AS I SUPPORT ROBOTECH AND NOT HIM.

HERE IS MY ARGUMENT AND THANKS FOR ASKING...

HG BAUGHT THESE RIGHTS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN BACK IN THE DAY.. BW SAW WHAT HG WAS DOING AND STARTED THEIR OWN LEDIGATION IN JAPAN. PROBLEM IS NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THOSE DOCUMENTS HOLD. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE HEAR ABOUT IT FROM CATALIST AND I DONT KNOW IF THEY WILL COME OUT AND REALESE THE PAPER THEY GOT. WHAT THEY CALL A SEACE AND DESIST ORDER.

THE QUESTIONS I ASKED TEH LAWYERS WAS, WHAT IF THEY GOT THIS SHOW DOWNRIGHT, AND NO ONE HAD COPYRIGHTED TEH MATERIAL. REPLIE IS, IT COULD HAVE BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN AFTER A CERTAIN TIME OF EXPERATION TO THE ANIMATION. BUT YOU HAVE TO GO INTO EVERY COUNTRY OF INTREST AND SET IT UP. WICH HG DID. WHERE THEN HG COULD CLAIM IT AND IF NO ONE FIGHTS IT AFTER A CERTAIN TIME.. HG CAN EXCERSIE THEIR RIGHT OF OWNERSHIP FROM THESE DESIGNS BEING USED.

WE KNOW BW PUT IN RIGHTS TO THE ANIATION IN 2002 ANDJUDGMENT WELL AFTER 2004. 20 YEARS AFTER TATSU SOLD IT WITHOUT NO ONE CLAIMING COPYRIGHT. HG SAW THIS AND BEING SMART COULD HAVE JUMPED IN TO RIGHTS TO TEH MACROSS SDF SERIES OUTSIDE OF JAPAN. SINCE IT WAS TO LATE FOR BW TO GO AFTER IT OUTSIDE OF JAPAN..

BW HAS MORE OF A CHANCE TO LOSE SINCE THESE LAWYERS ALSO TOLD ME THAT THEY WILL SIGHT THE ORIGINAL CONTTRACT BEFORE THE COPYRIGHTS WAS SET.

WHERE AS HG BEAT JAPAN TO TEH PUNCH.

This is how "reliable" MEMO is. If people like UEG were going to listen to anything this guy says, than I'd feel sorry for them. Thank Gawd very few people are like Pizza the Hut, eh?

Edited by Einherjar

Do I need to show an example of how "reliable" MEMO can be:

This is how "reliable" MEMO is. If people like UEG were going to listen to anything this guy says, than I'd feel sorry for them. Thank Gawd very few people are like Pizza the Hut, eh?

memo can also give you one hell of a headache

Okay, yes... WE know that MEMO is a pathological liar and never checks his facts. Was UEG aware of that right from the beginning? We don't know. In what seems to be a growing trend in this thread, you've missed the point completely. His actions were malicious no matter how you shake it, and had UEG not known better it could very well have ended with us being dragged into court alongside Harmony Gold. That his chances of success were minimal is beside the point... he was still doing his level best to blame us for something asinine Harmony Gold did.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Well speaking of the UEG incident, I think Memo has found another victim of a soon-to-be C&D

Ugh... as much as I enjoy watching Harmony Gold undermine themselves and their franchise with the sort of gleeful stupidity that's long since become their trademark, I can't help but feel bad for the fans who get victimized by them... they're putting a lot of time and effort into a labor of love, and getting smacked down for it. So, for the sake of the fans whose hard work is being showcased, I really hope we won't see a repeat of the UEG fiasco.

EDIT: Though at least UEG can be commended for not letting it sidetrack their plans for continuing to develop their talents.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Okay, yes... WE know that MEMO is a pathological liar and never checks his facts. Was UEG aware of that right from the beginning? We don't know. In what seems to be a growing trend in this thread, you've missed the point completely. His actions were malicious no matter how you shake it, and had UEG not known better it could very well have ended with us being dragged into court alongside Harmony Gold. That his chances of success were minimal is beside the point... he was still doing his level best to blame us for something asinine Harmony Gold did.

Did he offer any actual evidence proving you two had something to do with it besides hearsay from a 3rd party on the Internet who might be willing to commit perjury? If not, than I think you're fine. They would have had grounds against HG for the C&D, but any lawsuit against you might have failed.

Now I REALLY think you're taking this too seriously now.

Slightly off-topic, but here's a quote I found on RT.com:

relak: "Robotech?? A kid's show?? did we watch the same show?? I dont think kids would even understand it. Plus the material is hardly G rated or even PG for that matter. Its at least a PG 13.

I don't know with you guys, but he's actually doubting the marketing of RT (if there ever was one).

Did he offer any actual evidence proving you two had something to do with it besides hearsay from a 3rd party on the Internet who might be willing to commit perjury? If not, than I think you're fine. They would have had grounds against HG for the C&D, but any lawsuit against you might have failed.

No, it doesn't look like he supplied any hard evidence (as if such a thing were possible over the internet), but with his off and on attempts to portray himself as a Harmony Gold insider and/or administrator he could have sidestepped the whole issue of evidence by saying he'd got the information directly from Tommy/Steve/whoever. It still costs money to defend against a spurious lawsuit, and you can't always recoup the costs. As a businessman, I take anything that could result in litigation VERY seriously.

Slightly off-topic, but here's a quote I found on RT.com:

relak: "Robotech?? A kid's show?? did we watch the same show?? I dont think kids would even understand it. Plus the material is hardly G rated or even PG for that matter. Its at least a PG 13.

I don't know with you guys, but he's actually doubting the marketing of RT (if there ever was one).

Well, at least in the context of Harmony Gold's intent, there's little doubt that the Robotech series was originally dumbed down and targeted towards the same preteen/early teen demographic that Transformers was. The two shows even had roughly the same market model. True, a lot of stuff that today would've been deemed inappropriate for kids slipped past the censors, but the intent was still for it to be a kid's show.

No, it doesn't look like he supplied any hard evidence (as if such a thing were possible over the internet), but with his off and on attempts to portray himself as a Harmony Gold insider and/or administrator he could have sidestepped the whole issue of evidence by saying he'd got the information directly from Tommy/Steve/whoever. It still costs money to defend against a spurious lawsuit, and you can't always recoup the costs. As a businessman, I take anything that could result in litigation VERY seriously.

We're going into hypothetical situations now? Fine, whatever.

Robotech is dying, MEMO, LSC, and doug are madmen, you want to bury all of them on your own terms, and this isn't going to end at all. Don't take this as me defending the guy or conceding; they're all just tools who don't deserve THIS much discussion. Just look at the PM he sent me long ago.

Edited by Einherjar

We're going into hypothetical situations now? Fine, whatever.

Robotech is dying, MEMO, LSC, and doug are madmen, you want to bury all of them on your own terms, and this isn't going to end at all. Don't take this as me defending the guy or conceding; they're all just tools who don't deserve THIS much discussion.

And there you have it! Sorry Cobra Commander, just let it go and let it die on its own. I know for a FACT that MEMO is incomprehensible 99% of the time. He defends HG to the bone, I've even called him on it. He types in all caps and if he stops people wonder why! I don't even remember what else I was going to type, that's how unimportant it all is.

Just let go!

Don't take this as me defending the guy or conceding; they're all just tools who don't deserve THIS much discussion.

My sentiments exactly.

Now are we done, or do I need to force us to move on? ...Good. And if you do feel that need to continue this, you are more than welcomed to PM me or any appropriate party.

they're all just tools who don't deserve THIS much discussion. Just look at the PM he sent me long ago.

that's how unimportant it all is.

Um... need I point out that you lot are the ones dragging this thing out into a big dramatic affair? I'm really am mystified as to why you can't understand how I could possibly take MEMO's attempts to frame me for Harmony Gold's practically (and in one case, literally) criminal behavior personally. I said my peace and that was it, I'm not the one who kept trying to raise objections to it. :p

But since the powers that be have spoken and decided to get this thread back on track, let's get back to talking about the shittyness that is Sylvain White. I'm kind of surprised that they would even approach someone like him. At least in the early stages of the project they seemed to be taking it rather seriously, to such an extent that they brought in Lawrence Kasdan, a writer of no small talent. D'you reckon they realized the Transformers bubble finally burst and decided it wasn't worth appealing to top-shelf directors, or are they just mucking about before quietly brooming the project altogether?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Um... need I point out that you lot are the ones dragging this thing out into a big dramatic affair? I'm really am mystified as to why you can't understand how I could possibly take MEMO's attempts to frame me for Harmony Gold's practically (and in one case, literally) criminal behavior personally. I said my peace and that was it, I'm not the one who kept trying to raise objections to it. :p

But since the powers that be have spoken and decided to get this thread back on track, let's get back to talking about the shittyness that is Sylvain White. I'm kind of surprised that they would even approach someone like him. At least in the early stages of the project they seemed to be taking it rather seriously, to such an extent that they brought in Lawrence Kasdan, a writer of no small talent. D'you reckon they realized the Transformers bubble finally burst and decided it wasn't worth appealing to top-shelf directors, or are they just mucking about before quietly brooming the project altogether?

Who knows whats going on at this point, they won't even tell us :wacko:

but if you had a choice, which director would you go with?

Who knows whats going on at this point, they won't even tell us :wacko:

but if you had a choice, which director would you go with?

Eh... are you asking me who I would pick if I wanted the project to actually succeed (which I don't), or are you asking me who I'd put in charge if I wanted it to fail (like it's practically guaranteed to)?

Eh... are you asking me who I would pick if I wanted the project to actually succeed (which I don't), or are you asking me who I'd put in charge if I wanted it to fail (like it's practically guaranteed to)?

heck answer both lol

I'm kind of surprised that they would even approach someone like him. At least in the early stages of the project they seemed to be taking it rather seriously, to such an extent that they brought in Lawrence Kasdan, a writer of no small talent. D'you reckon they realized the Transformers bubble finally burst and decided it wasn't worth appealing to top-shelf directors, or are they just mucking about before quietly brooming the project altogether?

Who knows, they may have approached someone else but that person hasn't been asked by the media. And you never know. The Losers may turn out to be just the right film to get White's name up there. IMO, WB is focusing their efforts at bringing comics to life considering their recent reorganization of "DC Comics" to "DC Entertainment". The LAM is just something they're doing on the side for the time being.

heck answer both lol

Okay, I'm game...

Assuming that I was looking to actually guarantee some measure of success for the Robotech live-action movie, I'd probably try to get Michael Rymer onboard as the movie's director. Odds are the Robotech live action movie would remove most of the more Star Trek-y elements that Harmony Gold layered onto it in the late 80s, in favor of a flick more in line with Independence Day, and that's right up Michael Rymer's alley.

If I wanted the movie to fail, I'd probably avoid Uwe Boll (since he's a little luckier than usual about crossing over into "so bad it's funny") and go for some complete unknown with no professional credibility whatsoever... maybe some mook from BET whose sole experience is directing rap music videos.

Okay, I'm game...

Assuming that I was looking to actually guarantee some measure of success for the Robotech live-action movie, I'd probably try to get Michael Rymer onboard as the movie's director. Odds are the Robotech live action movie would remove most of the more Star Trek-y elements that Harmony Gold layered onto it in the late 80s, in favor of a flick more in line with Independence Day, and that's right up Michael Rymer's alley.

If I wanted the movie to fail, I'd probably avoid Uwe Boll (since he's a little luckier than usual about crossing over into "so bad it's funny") and go for some complete unknown with no professional credibility whatsoever... maybe some mook from BET whose sole experience is directing rap music videos.

lol interesting choices =P

well they got a music video director for the nightmare on elm street remake

so its quite obvious thats going to fail... minus the fact I'm a die hard Robert

Englund fan and he's the only Freddy in my book.

Hell the RT LAM is going to be a disaster film, why not get Emmerich involved instead?

^_^

I really don't care who directs the movie. If they get this Sylvain guy, maybe there will be some scary killer in it, a few dance battles, and the sort. Hell, maybe it'll even have Mtv get involved and it'll have Tila Tequila play Hooker Minmay.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Roger Christian is the best director to do a LAM of RT. Just look at his credentials:

The Sender (1982)

Starship (1985)

Nostradamus (1994)

The Final Cut (1995)

Masterminds (1997)

Bandido (2004)

Prisoners of the Sun (2010)

And let's not forget his 2000 masterpiece Battlefield Earth.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Roger Christian is the best director to do a LAM of RT. Just look at his credentials:

The Sender (1982)

Starship (1985)

Nostradamus (1994)

The Final Cut (1995)

Masterminds (1997)

Bandido (2004)

Prisoners of the Sun (2010)

And let's not forget his 2000 masterpiece Battlefield Earth.

he also did Underworld (1996)

I find is odd how he's managed to direct not one but two shitty movies in the 90's that share titles with movies I really like.