A Little Valkish Wannabe . . . .

NeoverseOmega

Hello! I've kind of returned from my poverty imposed exile (not that many people here remember me anyway, but it's still nice to be back).

Well, this technically isn't quite Macross - but it's Macross inspired and the work of a Macross fan, so I THINK this is the right thread to put this in.

I'll just have to do a mea culpa on the fighter mode though - funny thing is I did a few quick top, bottom, and side measured layouts to make sure the transformation worked and then realized when I actually got to this sketch that I haven't drawn an angled fighter since highschool (a LOOOONG time ago).

So this is just a quick lineart scan - haven't added color or shading yet. It's part of a pretty elaborate fiction I'm working on.

Certainly there will be much savage shredding (this is Macross World after all). But hopefully there will also be some useful feedback and maybe someone will actually like where I'm going with this (I have the right to hope right?) :huh:

post-1418-1257214906_thumb.jpg

Edited by NeoverseOmega

I can see some of it. The crotch is the area right behind the cockpit, the area above the intakes (with the two thingamabobs) end up at the ankles, and the hips appear to be at the joint of of the last half of the wing and the fuselage.

If I had to guess, the legs are reversed from what we normally expect. The intakes become the feet and the exhaust is joined at the hip.

It looks really good and, just like the others, I am terribly curious as to the transformation. If I could give one piece of advice, it seems to me that your focus is to make the Battroid version look cool with a lot of neat-o detail that doesn't really mesh well with the fighter mode. Sometimes the coolest thing is not the greeblies, but just how everything really looks like it belongs somewhere else.

If I had to guess, the legs are reversed from what we normally expect. The intakes become the feet and the exhaust is joined at the hip.

I guess you are right. I'm curious to see the transformation process.

Great design, a departure from the usual macross fighters, but very good nonetheless.

Thanks! And here I half expected outcries of blasphemy and horror . . . .

I've gotten pretty good with a pen - much of the time I can do a first draft like this without having to do a pencil sketch first. The down side of it is that if I make a mistake, instead of starting over I tend to just run with it. . . .

But when there are no corrections it comes out pretty clean!

Heh, you guys are actually pretty close to right about the transformation. Right now I'm trying to work up a transformation sequence so you can see how it works - admittedly part of what is a little off about this design is I had a craving for something very different and very complex, almost to see just how far I could push it in that direction and still have it look good in both forms. Unfortunately my jet drawing is a little off so I'm not sure things are proportioned as they actually would be. The bottom of the jet is actually not in this picture, but I'm kind of proud that the design leaves it much smoother than most.

Chalk some of the confusion up to anime magic (I was hoping to have as little of that as possible but I guess without actually doing CAD or building the thing that's not so easy).

And thanks to Drew Carey for the bit of advice. I started up chopping up an X-36 to try to make a robot out of it, but as the robot developed in my mind I think it started to take some pre-eminence over the jet. Of course part of the story is that these things aren't exactly engineered in the traditional sense. The first Proteans were an accident. This particular model was developed almost bonsai tree style as the thing developed in the hull of a working aircraft. The transformation was at times guided and at times "Accomodated" by the engineers.

I'll start working on the jet a little more to see if I can balance out the design.

Thanks again!

Hmmm, Orguss and Boomer Hybrid . . . . I can kind of see it. It's not deliberate, but I can definitely see it. Heh, there's definitely worse things it could be compared too.

Heres a quick fighter schematic I did last night at work - with the current proportions the sided view looks a bit like a legless Caimon Alligator that just swallowed something a little bit too big for it (heh, but it's still sleeker than the new leader class Starscream right? Dodges tomatoes . . .)

I think If I make the elaborate side covers and arms a little thinner I can make the design quite a bit sleeker without compromising the bot mode too much.

Sorry, on my way to work - was going to try to describe the transformation here, some of you might seee it.

post-1418-1257520656_thumb.jpg