Ask Warsaw Philharmonic about Yokko Kanno

VFTF1

So,

I managed to get an interview together with the head of the PR department at the Warsaw Philharmonic, which apparently performed Yoko Kanno's musical works for Macross Frontier and other anime. The subject of the interview is their cooperation with Yoko Kanno. I have some of my own questions that I'm preparing, but additional ones will be appreciated - especially by people who are more in the know about Kanno.

If there's anything Macrossworld members want me to ask - please post the questions here and I will ask the questions during the interview.

I'll link to the interview in a seperate thread once it's finished and online. It will be in english so everyone will have access to it.

Pete

The interview will be available on e-teatr.pl's english version here: http://www.e-teatr.pl/en/index.html. It's the largest web-based database for news about theatre and culture in Poland.

I've already got a bit over 20 questions prepared. I'd like to get them out by tomorrow, so it would be appreciated if Macross fans who might be interested in asking stuff post away so I can collect your questions and get everything together by tomorrow.

Pete

Dude, you're awesome.

They also did the music from Ace Combat 6, if I'm not mistaken.

So, moving on, my question is: A few songs sounded like they took distinguishable elements from other musical works, the most obvious being "He's a Pirate" in "Big Boys". Is it known if this was Ms. Kanno's purpose?

Just to clarify the question... can you fill in the blanks:

A few songs [iN...Macross Frontier?] sounded like they took distinguishable elements from other musical works, the most obvious being "He's a Pirate" in [the anime?...] "Big Boys" [which sounded like what song/music from...Macross Frontier?]. Is it known if this was Ms. Kanno's purpose?

I'm happy to ask them that - but please clarify the question.

Everybody please write the questions in the clearest and most basic way possible. Assume (probably correctly) that I don't know what you're talking about - and that the guy answering might not either if things aren't extremely clear.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Just to clarify the question... can you fill in the blanks:

I'm happy to ask them that - but please clarify the question.

Everybody please write the questions in the clearest and most basic way possible. Assume (probably correctly) that I don't know what you're talking about - and that the guy answering might not either if things aren't extremely clear.

Thanks

Pete

Right. Sorry about that. Clicked in my mind.

So, moving on, my question is: A few songs from the Macross Frontier score sounded like they took distinguishable elements from other musical works, the most obvious being "He's a Pirate", from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean in "Big Boys" from the soundtrack. Is it known if this was Ms. Kanno's purpose?

Right. Sorry about that. Clicked in my mind.

Thanks. Question recorded and will be asked.

More questions like that would be appreciated from people with a good ear for music. Most of the questions I've thought up are gushing otaku questions :)

Pete

Here are my questions:

1)I would like to ask whether the co-operation with Yoko Kanno is one of the easy tasks,whether is it possible to find a common language with her? Whether she takes into account your suggestions on the recording material or from the beginning to the end pushes it's vision, even in spite of the difficulties encountered in its implementation?

2) Which soundtrack was the most difficult / require the greatest effort in creating? And if there was such a, what were the problems?

3) How do you view of the fact that the well-known composer of music for anime, games, movies, commercials, etc. arrives to Poland to record it's works together with the Warsaw Philharmonic?

I hope you all understand what I have written here because my english isn't very good. If I wrote something wrong , then amend me lol:

Edited by Paliodor

So cool. Here are my questions:

1. How did you feel when you found out that your music will be a score for animated works?

2. When you first worked with Ms. Kanno, she wasn't a known/established musician; what did you expect coming into the project, and how was she different or similar to what you expected?

3. What are your favorite pieces (consensus)? (Name 3-5 and the shows they are from)

It's great that you're having this interview VFTF1! :)

and those are pretty good questions so far. additonal:

- how different/similar is it working with Kanno Yoko when compared with other composers you've worked with? Does she have certain styles/musical preferences that are unique compared to others?

- what is the total composition of Warsaw Philharmonic (members, sets and instruments), and what particular sets or instruments does Kanno Yoko tend to focus on in her arrangements?

Good luck with the interview. :)

Hey thanks a bunch for doing this, and I appreciate you possibly taking my question into consideration.

1. Kanno has previously stated that she has no formal musical training at the university level. Considering this, what is her relationship both with the Philharmonic's conductor and the players? Has she conducted, and if so, does her difference in conducting style produce a much different "atmosphere" with the players?

Hi Pete, up to what date are you collecting questions?

Also, lelangir's question is very good, I was planning on asking that myself. Her conducting style looks different based on my own observation, and I'm wondering if it is indeed unorthodox.

I asked in the Gabby site if they had questions, so I'll be posting their questions here.

One question that I had on my mind when omo alerted me to this is this question:

1. In general, does Kanno approach the Philharmonic when there’s a certain soundtrack that she would like to have scored or do you approach her?

and might as well throw this one in:

2. While the Czech Philharmonic has already released an album containing a “Best of” collection of Ghibli’s music, is there a possibility of the Warsaw Philharmonic doing the same for Kanno?

And my questions:

1. Could you please describe to us the process of recording a piece of music with her?

2. Kanno has worked with the Warsaw Philharmonic on many soundtracks, is there already an established rapport between her and the members? What is the orchestra's general impression of her and her music?

Edited by mike_s_6

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the additional questions. I've taken them all and put them into the interview.

to what date are you collecting questions?

To one minute ago, I'm afraid :) I didn't want to wait too long because the guy is taking some time out of his vacation to do this, so might as well fry while the pan is hot (is that the correct idiom?)...

Anyways, there are 35 questions in total now - so that's another good reason to close it at that :)

Now we'll just have to...wait.

Pete

I guess we missed our chance to solve that mystery :)

But hopefully as a Macross fan you will be pleased with the interview. Wonder how long it'll take to get the replies... :)

Also - request to mods:

Can we change the topic title to" Yoko Kanno & Warsaw Philharmonic ?

The current topic title has a typo and is kind of limiting. If we change the topic title to "Yoko Kanno & Warsaw Philharmonic" then it will be more inviting for general discussion of this topic, and I can just post the completed interview here when it's done instead of creating yet another thread.

Thanks!

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the additional questions. I've taken them all and put them into the interview.

To one minute ago, I'm afraid :) I didn't want to wait too long because the guy is taking some time out of his vacation to do this, so might as well fry while the

Anyway, thanks! I'm looking forward to your article :)

Dude, you're awesome.

They also did the music from Ace Combat 6, if I'm not mistaken.

So, moving on, my question is: A few songs sounded like they took distinguishable elements from other musical works, the most obvious being "He's a Pirate" in "Big Boys". Is it known if this was Ms. Kanno's purpose?

I can definitely echo that question, having noticed that too. I swear some of Macross+ sounded influenced by Gustav Holst's "Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity". So a question about her influences in general would be good. She changes her style up with each project.

I can definitely echo that question, having noticed that too. I swear some of Macross+ sounded influenced by Gustav Holst's "Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity". So a question about her influences in general would be good. She changes her style up with each project.

From "Tank!" to "Big Boys" to "Information High", Yoko Kanno's done it all!

Hey all,

Just to update: I emailed the gentleman today asking whether he had gotten all of the interview questions I sent him, to which he replied:

Witam

Tak doszedł ale jest dość długi i wymaga kilku ustaleń a my jesteśmy właśnie

w Tokio gdzie jutro na zakończenia naszego tournee w Japonii gramy koncert z

Yoko Kanno...

Pozdrawiam,

TRANSLATION:

"Yes, I got the interview questionaire. It is very very long and it requires that I do a lot of checking and we are now in Tokio where tomorrow we will end our tournee in Japan with a concert with Yoko Kanno..."

Naturally I wrote back a fanwank response:

Bardzo dziękuję za potwierdzenie, że doszedł. Nie przeszkadzam, życzę

wspaniale udanego koncertu i spokojnie oczekuję, wraz z 9 tysięcami

zarejestrowanych czytelników i wielkich fanów Yoko Kanno i, za jej

pośrednictwem fanów Warszawskiej Filharmonii też, z macrossworld.com,

na zakończony wywiad. Wielu z nich mieszka też w Japonii, i też mają

to szczęście, że będą na widowni na koncercie w Tokio. Wszyscy życzymy

państwu najlepszego, dziękujemy za wspaniałą muzykę i z wielką

ciekawością oczekujemy na odpowiedzi na wywiad.

TRANSLATION:

"Thanks for confirming that you got the interview questions. I will wait patiently along with the 9 thousand registered users at Macrossworld.com who are big Yoko Kanno fans, and indirectly therefore big fans of the Warsaw Philharmonic. Many of them live in Japan and will likely also be at the concert you are performing in Tokio. We all wish you the best success, thank you for your great music and await with great curiosity the answers to the interview questions."

Naturally - the fanboy in me envisions that he will go directly to Yoko Kanno to inquire about some of the questions in the interview, which would be so utterly cool :)

In any event - let us be patient and wish them the best!

Pete

My only consolation will be the answers to this interview...

I just need to finally get my butt to Japan.... but it would be easier if there was something like Anime-Fanwank-Macross week or something on a seasonal basis. Then I could convince my girlfriend to go with me for a week or two and make a nice vacation out of it. But sadly, there probably isn't anything like that and it's hard as heck to organize a longer trip around one event - be it concert, convention or whatever...

Ah well - maybe the Warsaw Philharmonic can one day be seduced to doing something this cool...in Warsaw!! :)

And yeah - I can tell you're excited!! Cheer 'em on!!

Pete